Strike in Chicago?

drewed

Shankman
they should at least give you what the national agreement provides? You guys do the same job that everyone in the national agreement does...why would they think you'd accept any less?

see you cant debate the economics in the NMA vs this just because the economy hadnt tanked then......UPS stocked has dropped over 20%since the NMA was signed this proposal shows that.......THANKS 705 since your strike vote UPS stock is up 4%!!!:wink2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
see you cant debate the economics in the NMA vs this just because the economy hadnt tanked then......UPS stocked has dropped over 20%since the NMA was signed this proposal shows that.......THANKS 705 since your strike vote UPS stock is up 4%!!!:wink2:
You might want to sell it now! I have a feeling it will fall very quickly next friday! Like water through a barrel without a bottom!

S

shop hound

Go for it brothers and sisters in the windy city this company needs a real dose of reality.

The national contract sucked we even gave up our cost of living.

The whole country voted on the central states pension fund thats the only way it could of been accepted.

Jimmy Hoffa needs to go away.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I have a feeling it will fall very quickly next friday! Like water through a barrel without a bottom!

Uh-huh....and how many jobs with it? Both in Chicago and nationwide? How many hubs' lights will turn off for the last time next Thursday? How many feeders parked until they can be sold? Watch.....at least one Chicago hub will go dark for good. Strike and the numbers will stagger ya.

Think very, very carefully before you strike, folks. Eastern's people didn't and look what happened to them. JMHO.....-Rocky

brownman15

Well after the strike vote sunday ups submitted there economic proposal today to the union. Are you ready for this?

Aug 1st 2008 15 Cents
feb 1st 2008 15 cents
aug 1st 2009 and 2010 17 and a half cents
feb 1st 2009 and 2010 17 and a half cents
aug 1st 2011 20 cents
feb 1st 2011 20 cents
aug 1st 2012 25 cents and again on feb 1st with an additional 12 bucks a week paid into the pension per year over the 5 years. While also bringing topout progression upto 4 years, 90 days notice to retire, 36 months for family medical coverage.

Really? Ups and the union had there worse meeting by far today with sparring back and forth across the table. Ups you are down to 3 dates to meet and hammer out this contract before chicago walks out next friday!

rocky would u accept this economic offer. we have no choice

Last edited:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
rocky would u except this economic offer. we have no choice

I've somehow been blessed with quality intellect AND brawn, outstanding and unwavering support and the best advisors money (academic and professional development) and love (my immediate family and a few I'd trust with my life) can buy, I don't find myself in this position. That having been said......if I WERE in that position, I'd report if my manager gave the order, picket lines and all. I'm very sorry, Brownman. :sad-very::whiteflag: -Rocky

BrownSuit

Well after the strike vote sunday ups submitted there economic proposal today to the union. Are you ready for this?

Aug 1st 2008 15 Cents
feb 1st 2008 15 cents
aug 1st 2011 20 cents
feb 1st 2011 20 cents
aug 1st 2012 25 cents and again on feb 1st with an additional 12 bucks a week paid into the pension per year over the 5 years. While also bringing topout progression upto 4 years, 90 days notice to retire, 36 months for family medical coverage.

Really? Ups and the union had there worse meeting by far today with sparring back and forth across the table. Ups you are down to 3 dates to meet and hammer out this contract before chicago walks out next friday!

Folks, we are hearing this out of context. This could be numbers reflecting an increase on a previous offer, increased over the NMA, etc. There is no way to know for sure.

The company's not going to tell you, they've kept their side of the bargain when it comes to keeping quiet. You're only getting on side of the story and this honestly sounds 3rd or 4th person.

What if this was an increase over the NMA? What then?

Think about these numbers. A person working 40 hours (yes that never happens at UPS) would over a year receive a salary increase of $468, less than the amount quoted as the yearly Pension increase ($624). Since when do companies increase their pay less than that of their pension? Usually it is several times that.

There are details that we aren't getting . . .

The company said some bullish thins in the earnings release:

UPS reported revenue for the quarter of $13.0 billion, up 6.7 percent from the $12.2 billion it reported for the second quarter of 2007. Analysts had expected revenue for the quarter of $12.8 billion.

Nearly a billion more in revenues? Is there a recession?

``Slow U.S. economic activity and fuel-price increases hit us and our customers during the quarter,'' Chief Financial Officer Kurt Kuehn said in the statement. ``Even though economists do not predict a recovery until 2009, we anticipate that the second half of 2008 will generate modestly better results than the first half.''

Is this a sign of an ecomomic recovery or just peak season?

brownman15

Folks, we are hearing this out of context. This could be numbers reflecting an increase on a previous offer, increased over the NMA, etc. There is no way to know for sure.

no not an increase on a previous offer or nma. this is the yearly wage increase period. earlier proposal they struck out any future cola raises

The company's not going to tell you, they've kept their side of the bargain when it comes to keeping quiet. You're only getting on side of the story and this honestly sounds 3rd or 4th person.

company likes 2 keep company in the dark were the union is posting both sides proposals on their website 2 keep members informed and not in the dark

not an increase over nma

no everything is posted on website todays proposal should be on there soon

BrownSuit

no everything is posted on website todays proposal should be on there soon

How bout we just wait until the proposal is posted then instead of speculating. Everybody seems to "know" what's going on without the masses seeing the proposal.

I'm also hearing quite a bit of parlor contract interpretation. This is pretty deep stuff and it's very easy to mislead people to believe it's more doom and gloom than it is. Most people won't bother reading the actual language.

brownman15

How bout we just wait until the proposal is posted then instead of speculating. Everybody seems to "know" what's going on without the masses seeing the proposal.

I'm also hearing quite a bit of parlor contract interpretation. This is pretty deep stuff and it's very easy to mislead people to believe it's more doom and gloom than it is. Most people won't bother reading the actual language.

no speculation info i posted is what i received from the bargaining committee.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Think about these numbers. A person working 40 hours (yes that never happens at UPS) would over a year receive a salary increase of $468, less than the amount quoted as the yearly Pension increase ($624). Since when do companies increase their pay less than that of their pension? Usually it is several times that.

Are you admitting this for the crap it is when it gets posted? Will you yourself support a strike for a proposal like this? I have a picket sign ready for you, it says " Tightest slave ship in the shipping business".

Its the truth as is everything i have posted is. If you wont support a strike can you at least call and ask atlanta if they have fallen off of their rocker? How can someone slide this over the table knowing that the finger is on the nuke just ready to launch? As you can see the union is being forced to walk off by ups for not bargaining in good faith. 3 days left this thursday then next tuesday and thursday.

Everyone should probably call corporate and tell them that their ups negotiating team in chicago have lost their minds!

iowa boy

Aug 1st 2008 15 Cents
feb 1st 2008 15 cents
aug 1st 2011 20 cents
feb 1st 2011 20 cents

man, talk about a slap across the face, holy cow. that is an absolute insult to 705 in my opinion.

705red

Browncafe Steward
What's wrong with negotiating every day at a time like this? GET IT DONE!
They better come to negotiate seriously on thursday or that could be the last day. It took 8 hours to get that out of them today. We will settle it from the streets.

Are you admitting this for the crap it is when it gets posted? Will you yourself support a strike for a proposal like this? I have a picket sign ready for you, it says " Tightest slave ship in the shipping business".

Its the truth as is everything i have posted is. If you wont support a strike can you at least call and ask atlanta if they have fallen off of their rocker? How can someone slide this over the table knowing that the finger is on the nuke just ready to launch? As you can see the union is being forced to walk off by ups for not bargaining in good faith. 3 days left this thursday then next tuesday and thursday.

Everyone should probably call corporate and tell them that their ups negotiating team in chicago have lost their minds!

Why must you strike on Friday? Many times Unions work past a contract expiration until an agreement is reached. What are you looking for? What was the unions proposal?