STRIKE!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It won't, but it's still bad language. At a minimum, there need to be severe monetary penalties for using more 22.4s than allowed, working them when RPCDs are laid off, and using them as an excuse not to hire more RPCDs.
At a minimum, it needs to be thrown in the garbage and never thought of again.

iruhnman630

A work stoppage, whether it is a strike or a lockout, is only meant to be used when there is an impasse.

The company and the union leadership are both fully supporting this agreement. A mass no vote from us will send it back for more work, but that is not an impasse.

There will be no strike.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A work stoppage, whether it is a strike or a lockout, is only meant to be used when there is an impasse.

The company and the union leadership are both fully supporting this agreement. A mass no vote from us will send it back for more work, but that is not an impasse.

It's readily apparent, most people don't know that.... or have ever been on strike.

That's what happened in 97 and to a degree, what happened in 95 with the over-70

situation that was implemented without collective bargaining before hand.

-Bug-

Integrity

Binge Poster
I just read on this site that UPS is the third largest private employer, next to Walmart and Amazon. If this tentative agreement is voted down they will go back to the table and that process will continue much like the pilots and airline mechanics have. We do have the right to call a strike and it does give the power for the International to give notice and walk but does anybody seriously thinks there will be one with the damage that it would do to the nation's economy. The last one lasted 2 weeks, this one would last 2 hours before the Feds start running the show. The last strike was history making and that was before cell phones, 24 hour cable news and high speed internet, it would have a devastating effect on every business in america.

Saying that why would anybody in their right mine would vote "yes" on the first contract when we know that it will better on the second, third, fourth and five time. One of the first rules of negotiations is to never take the first offer, if this one needs more work send it back. It is that simple.

Watch out for the fear mongering out there..The "Closed Shop" button pushing by stupid people..Management or Not..do not fall for it (get the big picture) folks.
@DELACROIX, does the 22.4 job/language directly effect you?

The Driver

I drive.
An overwhelming majority of Pkg car drivers don't want the overtime and don't want

to work weekends. The 22.4 language will solve that.

So tell the company to hire more drivers or go pound sand! I'll work 7 days a week if it means not letting in these 22.4s to destroy what has been fought over for decades. Where's your solidarity, union man?

SMH!

Integrity

Binge Poster
So tell the company to hire more drivers or go pound sand! I'll work 7 days a week if it means not letting in these 22.4s to destroy what has been fought over for decades. Where's your solidarity, union man?

SMH!
Another question:

How experienced are you in union contract negotiations?

The Driver

I drive.
Question for you:
@The Driver, how might this new 22.4 language and job directly effect you?

1. Potential to take work from me and my brothers with cheaper labor.
2. In time will experience growing resentment from the lower paid combo drivers, destroying our solidarity.
3. Will drag down wages and general compensation in the future for drivers in general.
4. Allowing UPS to take an inch will result in them taking a mile in the future.
5. The target on my back will grow. Management will be pushed by upper management to weed out higher paid existing drivers because they have more flexibility with the 22.4s. Just find a way to escalate discipline with a current driver leading to termination, use 22.4s to fill in the gap while they hire a new RPCD or move a 22.4 into that slot as an new RPCD.

Make no mistake, this 22.4 language is a chink in our armor!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So tell the company to hire more drivers or go pound sand!

They would be hiring more drivers.

Maybe you haven't read the language.... or can comprehend it.

I'll work 7 days a week if it means not letting in these 22.4s to destroy what has been fought over for decades.

Well, you can't work 7 days a week and would be in the minority.

So while I might admire the sentiment, it's false bravado stating that.

Where's your solidarity, union man ?

My loyalty is with the active participating members.

Not with people that are afraid of their own shadows, and won't even file a grievance.

You know who they are.....

-Bug-

The Driver

I drive.
They would be hiring more drivers.

Maybe you haven't read the language.... or can comprehend it.

You know damn well what I meant.

Hire more RPCD or whatever you'll love to call them from now on.

Full wages. An equal.

I think the language you love to read and love to comprehend is the kind that implies more fulltime union dues! The only thing you love. Pathetic. Where are your balls?

UPSTeamster Pragmatist

22.4 is a reasonable solution but they need to be protected from overtime abuse just like the rest of us. I always give IBT negotiators the benefit of the doubt because things on the whole have gone well for us relative to the rest of society. I just don't understand why they didn't protect them in some way. Doesn't have to be same 9.5 language as us, but some type of language.

UPSTeamster Pragmatist

Also everybody is fine with 22.3 employees making a lower rate but not 22.4. Why? we are a democratic union not a communist one. USSR proved how effective it is to pay everyone the same no matter what the occupation.