Stubborn Coworker Headed For Trouble

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Very concerned here and just looking for a bit of advice. A fellow Preload/friend has a ridiculous attendance problem (already burned through option/whatever days for the year), which has earned him the scorn of management. Sore back, stomach problems, flu...he's had it all. After not seeing him around yesterday I called to check on him and tell him to dial down the partying before he gets a termination letter. He broke down crying and said he had been diagnosed with Stage II Myeloma (bone marrow cancer) and doesn't have the money or wherewithal to pursue treatment. I told him to at least get on FMLA. He's afraid doing so will get him the proverbial "target on the back" and the powers that be will just find some reason to get rid of him anyway. He lives alone, his mother's in bad health and his father doesn't get along with him so there goes any kind of support system. His solution: "Start showing up to work no matter how bad I feel. Work until the day I collapse and the paramedics come to drag me away". This breaks my heart but my hands are tied. How can I help someone who refuses to help himself? Is there at least some helpline he can call? I hate to admit it but, despite the hyperbole, I can't help but feel his fear of disciplinary repercussion is somewhat justified.
um he gots health insurance, so he better use it before he gets termed

purehavanne

I just had an uncle die from stomach cancer. Doctor said if they had treated it aggressively earlier he would have had a shot at living. He chose to keep quiet about it for almost 2 years. If your friend wants to live, he’s gotta get medical treatment ASAP. Otherwise it’s a slow and painful death.

Box Ox

I just had an uncle die from stomach cancer. Doctor said if they had treated it aggressively earlier he would have had a shot at living. He chose to keep quiet about it for almost 2 years. If your friend wants to live, he’s gotta get medical treatment ASAP. Otherwise it’s a slow and painful death.

I can understand how somebody with crappy or no insurance might hesitate to seek cancer treatment. But man, having Teamcare? It isn’t the old insurance but it’s still really :censored2:ing good. Head straight to the hospital with that.

browntroll

i have a coworker with same situation but for his own sake wont do :censored2:, sometimes we think
he just likes to make stuff up. told him to go on disability if he has 2 but thinks hes not gonna
make as much and refuses to get another job. says he cant afford treatment even though our insurance covers treatment.

rickyb

Very concerned here and just looking for a bit of advice. A fellow Preload/friend has a ridiculous attendance problem (already burned through option/whatever days for the year), which has earned him the scorn of management. Sore back, stomach problems, flu...he's had it all. After not seeing him around yesterday I called to check on him and tell him to dial down the partying before he gets a termination letter. He broke down crying and said he had been diagnosed with Stage II Myeloma (bone marrow cancer) and doesn't have the money or wherewithal to pursue treatment. I told him to at least get on FMLA. He's afraid doing so will get him the proverbial "target on the back" and the powers that be will just find some reason to get rid of him anyway. He lives alone, his mother's in bad health and his father doesn't get along with him so there goes any kind of support system. His solution: "Start showing up to work no matter how bad I feel. Work until the day I collapse and the paramedics come to drag me away". This breaks my heart but my hands are tied. How can I help someone who refuses to help himself? Is there at least some helpline he can call? I hate to admit it but, despite the hyperbole, I can't help but feel his fear of disciplinary repercussion is somewhat justified.
tell him to look up countries that offer free medical care to forgieners.

its very possible some do.

the american healthcare system makes me sick.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
tell him to look up countries that offer free medical care to forgieners.

its very possible some do.

the american healthcare system makes me sick.
So that part timer, who doesn't want to use his already good health insurance, should use his part time wages to travel to another country to seek treatment?

rickyb

So that part timer, who doesn't want to use his already good health insurance, should use his part time wages to travel to another country to seek treatment?
he should do whatever hes gotta do to get treatment.

if america is gonna screw him then he should see if another country will do it free.