STUCK

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I was wondering what happened to the grip strips. I always wanted to get some of that Marston Mat for my truck like they used to use in WWII.

Our towing company charges $1250 to tow a tractor and/or trailer. If they ever successfully fire me I'm going to get my own tow rig.

stink219

Where I am, the auto shop takes care of it all. Stuck, breakdown, ect. I call the center, they transfer me to auto, I tell the shop the issue, they call if a tow is needed or they come to fix it.

Thebrownstreak

Our center delivers to the snow belt of northern PA. We literally have pallets of chains in the shop. I have a 45 min drive from my center to where I drop my tp-60 off. Once I drop the tp the other driver and I put the chains on my truck. I run about 100 miles on area, all but 5 of my roads are dirt roads. It just takes some planning one what stops I know I'll have no chance of delivering. There are a couple of roads that I have that are no bigger than a logging road that have a 100+ foot cliff on the one side. Needless to say I've gone weeks without going down that road.

Our center use to charge us with an accident if we got towed. Same thing as another poster. Our center manager was doing a S/V ride and was driving the truck when he got a lil too wide on a turn and his tire went into a snow bank which then pulled him into a ditch. They tried for 6 hours to get it out before they called for a tow. center manager was given the riot act from the next level up for waiting so long. Our policy now is try for 20 min using whatever needs necessary to get unstuck. After that it's tow time. I bought a tow strap last year. The hillbillies love to use their pickup truck to get you out.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I bought a tow strap for $5 at a garage sale that lives in my package car. If I get stuck, all I have to do is hook to to the front bumper and stand there, the first guy eho drives by in a 4x4 will stop and pull me out. Never fails.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always did whatever it took to get unstuck but I also returned the favor and pulled lots of people out when they needed it. On big snow days it should have said UPS and Rods Towing on the side of my truck.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I always did whatever it took to get unstuck but I also returned the favor and pulled lots of people out when they needed it. On big snow days it should have said UPS and Rods Towing on the side of my truck.

I don't see that flying at all in today's ups. With telematics and the 8000 ways they fire you it just wouldn't be a smart decision.

STFXG

I bought a tow strap for $5 at a garage sale that lives in my package car. If I get stuck, all I have to do is hook to to the front bumper and stand there, the first guy eho drives by in a 4x4 will stop and pull me out. Never fails.

Same here. Rural area. Never had someone drive by and leave me hanging. Carry the strap to pull people out when they need it as well.

A recovery shovel and a tow strap are all I've needed. Never chained up. Too much highway and too much hassle.

I would fight paying the tow bill. I would exhaust all avenues available to me in order to fight the tow bill.

I got stuck and had to pay the towbill and got a warning letter and was terminated. This was 7 years ago and i was a p/t am air driver they would not let me have a diver steward so some young steward that new nothing of driving from the preload. He just agreed with everything they said " i want the full time driver steward" "NO your part time you get this guy" i t was $120 bill and i madethem take 10 bucks a week and they did. i never saw the tow truck pull the ups truck out because i had to finish the deliveries with my sup in his truck. NO DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE AT ALL

gman042

Been around the block a few times
No one here has had to pay a tow bill.....yet. It has been threatened though.

On the rural routes there are those that I used to call in certain areas when I got stuck. Had them on speed dial. One was a construction company that cleaned driveways and sub division roads. One time it took a backhoe to get me out after a front end loader could not. Hydraulic pressure is amazing.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We are told to ecd if it looks doubtful, then when someone does bring back more than 5 ecd packages, they get called into the office to explain them all. We were told a couple of years ago that we could not use outside help to get unstuck and that if we called a tow, it would be considered an accident.

A bunch of years ago, my center bought plastic grip strips and the mechanics attached hooks and cables to them. If you get stuck, put down the grip strips, attach the cables to the bumper and take off. Stop when it is safe and grab up the grippers and go on. They are really slick the way they work, but we are not buying anymore and as they get wrecked, are being replaced with a bucket of sand.

Sad.
Have about 20 sets of those traction strips in my satellite center. They have saved my butt many times over the last few years. The cables sound like a good idea and will have to talk with automotive to see what they can do. As it is now, I have lost a few sets in the woods as the spinning tires sometimes launch them into the woods.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Have about 20 sets of those traction strips in my satellite center. They have saved my butt many times over the last few years. The cables sound like a good idea and will have to talk with automotive to see what they can do. As it is now, I have lost a few sets in the woods as the spinning tires sometimes launch them into the woods.

That reminds me to get some. My new workhorse doesn't have any.

barnyard

KTM rider
As it is now, I have lost a few sets in the woods as the spinning tires sometimes launch them into the woods.

Another driver suggested adding the cables because sometimes, you have to drive a ways before you know you will not get stuck again. Saves walking back to get them. Plus, if they do go flying, they will not go far.

After it was suggested, the mechanics put the cables on. I think they are just wire dog leads with a clip on the end. Clip to the bumper and away you go.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I got stuck and had to pay the towbill and got a warning letter and was terminated. This was 7 years ago and i was a p/t am air driver they would not let me have a diver steward so some young steward that new nothing of driving from the preload. He just agreed with everything they said " i want the full time driver steward" "NO your part time you get this guy" i t was $120 bill and i madethem take 10 bucks a week and they did. i never saw the tow truck pull the ups truck out because i had to finish the deliveries with my sup in his truck. NO DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE AT ALL

Absolutely ridiculous. Your local union should have been replaced immediately. And I would have started getting my money back from the very first time I clocked back in. I was talking to another feeder driver about a time he pulled off and parked on an exit ramp. Unfortunately for him, his rig started leaning towards the ditch. He couldn't move and had to call for a tow. The tow ended up costing almost a $1000, if I remember right. When he was brought into the office, our feeder manager gave him the choice: pay the tow bill, or get a warning letter. He took the warning letter.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Traction strips? What do these look like? A couple of the guys have metal traction aides that are cleated. They are about a foot long. I would be interested in making some of these strips if possible

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Traction strips? What do these look like? A couple of the guys have metal traction aides that are cleated. They are about a foot long. I would be interested in making some of these strips if possible

I found them to be worthless in a heavy snow. Chains worked better. That plastic strip shot straight out under the tires...

Just say ill wait here and collect overtime until the roads are Safe...safety first right??? Or is it money first? then packages? Then crap on the drivers?? WHAT IN THE HELL DO THEY WANT US TO DO???