Success Tales of Employees Seeking Greener Pastures.

Serf

After a Decade of chasing my tail, I am starting to think it is time to seek employment elsewhere. I won't bemoan the common things we all gripe about. Anyone that's been with Express for a little while knows the deal. Anyone have any good stories about former employees riding off successfully?

Serf

I have a good friend who was a courier then RTD. After 15 years at FedEx he moved on. He’s now a driver for Walmart, lovingly ng life and making more money.
I think the one thing holding me back from CDL driving is the horrendous traffic (Northeast) and idiot drivers on the road. Probably have to do some serious question asking. Figure out what industry to get into.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
After a Decade of chasing my tail, I am starting to think it is time to seek employment elsewhere. I won't bemoan the common things we all gripe about. Anyone that's been with Express for a little while knows the deal. Anyone have any good stories about former employees riding off successfully?
Depends. Do you have a degree or trade to fall back on ? If CDL is all you have maybe Wal-Mart or a union job.

Every person I know that quit or was fired never got a better job except one guy who joined his Dad in the family business.
I seriously thought of quitting UPS after the 97 strike because I was still on the relief board and pickings were so slim due to all the contracts we had lost and/or lack of work. I worked other jobs part time along with UPS when they called me in but usually for poor wages.
Once I decided to stick it out things got much better.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Depends. Do you have a degree or trade to fall back on ? If CDL is all you have maybe Wal-Mart or a union job.

Every person I know that quit or was fired never got a better job except one guy who joined his Dad in the family business.
I seriously thought of quitting UPS after the 97 strike because I was still on the relief board and pickings were so slim due to all the contracts we had lost and/or lack of work. I worked other jobs part time along with UPS when they called me in but usually for poor wages.
He’s not talking about UPS.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I worked other jobs part time along with UPS when they called me in but usually for poor wages.

I doubt the OP wants to shake his ass on the hood of Whitesnake's car or pole dance with some 60 year old perverts.

bacha29

People look, you're in a race to the bottom of the cheap freight rate business and as result positions in the industry worth committing your life to will continue to become fewer and fewer and needless to say that your odds of landing one will decrease proportionally . You could try CDL Class A work but as we saw over the weekend when Celadon went below the Mendoza Line getting anything good in that area will first require a record of exemplary performance
with one of the industry bottom feeders that come and go everyday.

As for the trades....nice if you can get into one but remember the trades are very recession sensitive. When one job's done you don't know if and when another job will begin or where it will be located.

Serf

People look, you're in a race to the bottom of the cheap freight rate business and as result positions in the industry worth committing your life to will continue to become fewer and fewer and needless to say that your odds of landing one will decrease proportionally . You could try CDL Class A work but as we saw over the weekend when Celadon went below the Mendoza Line getting anything good in that area will first require a record of exemplary performance

As for the trades....nice if you can get into one but remember the trades are very recession sensitive. When one job's done you don't know if and when another job will begin or where it will be located.
Even in larger Metro areas I have friends who have been laid off or furloughed.

Serf

Just Military background. I could man up and get a Class B license. The amount of tractor trailer crashes I see monthly here is staggering. Also, I think your statement of "everyone who quit or got fired never got anything better." Is more true than untrue.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Do you know WHY Celadon declared bankruptcy?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article238186449.html

bacha29

I'm aware of the indictments. Reports seem to indicate that the two were not writing down the value of the equipment apparently not following standard depreciation rules in an effort to overstate the value of company assets in an attempt to preserve stock values.
Not unusual. Decent size trucking company a few miles from here where the president was doing payroll deductions from drivers wages for health insurance premiums but not forwarding it to the insurer. In addition he was kiting checks between that trucking company and another one he owned.

In addition to a huge restitution order he got 8 years in the slammer.

zeev

Get your CDL from X there is a huge demand for drivers now the pay and conditions very greatly so you have to be careful but being a courier has no future the goal is to push Express to grounds level. Also these trucks nowadays are a breeze compared to the old days.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service

I'm a success story. I was with Express for 17 years. Never made top rate. I took the early retirement they offered me. Paid off the house, bought new car, etc. I'm with UPS now. In just over 2 years I'm already making more money than my best years at Express. Top rate 1.5 years away, good times. Plus union protection, better benefits, etc.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Get your CDL from X there is a huge demand for drivers now the pay and conditions very greatly so you have to be careful but being a courier has no future the goal is to push Express to grounds level. Also these trucks nowadays are a breeze compared to the old days.

There is no future for couriers. If you lose your job as a courier, you really have nowhere else to go to continue as a courier. UPS? Highly doubtful. You'd have more chance winning $1000 on a scratch ticket. However, if you got a Class A, you can take that skill to any one of hundreds of trucking companies out there.

dezguy

Take advantage of one of the few perks we have left, take the tuition reimbursement and go to night school. There will be a huge demand for HVAC trades people in the next few years, there's one option.

Another option is to get your pilot's license. In the next 10 years a ton of commercial pilots are expected to retire. Go fly the friendly skies and get paid bank for it.

Serf

I see a lot of new automatic tractors with tech. Much different now.

Serf

I'm a success story. I was with Express for 17 years. Never made top rate. I took the early retirement they offered me. Paid off the house, bought new car, etc. I'm with UPS now. In just over 2 years I'm already making more money than my best years at Express. Top rate 1.5 years away, good times. Plus union protection, better benefits, etc.
Assuming you went from FT day route at Express to a regular day route at UPS? Big switch at first in terms of stops? But get the hang of it quick....

Serf

Take advantage of one of the few perks we have left, take the tuition reimbursement and go to night school. There will be a huge demand for HVAC trades people in the next few years, there's one option.

Another option is to get your pilot's license. In the next 10 years a ton of commercial pilots are expected to retire. Go fly the friendly skies and get paid bank for it.
Solid advice. Another thing that keeps me here is the M-friend with all major Federal Holidays off. No nights, weekends, or Holidays is nice.