Suggested Reading For UPS Managers

A

anonymous6

suggested reading for ups managers? Hmm, Matthew 7:12, off the top of my head.

(Yes, I am going to make you look it up.)

This is in essence the answer to just about anything. Just imagine how great this company would be if the Golden Rule was practised here.

Two other great books.

"Discovering The Laws of Life"

"How To Win Friends And Influence People"

good day.

A

anonymous6

I've watched this post from the beginning, and I honestly cannot believe that in a thread like this no one has suggested the contract. The contract is one of the most important things a person employed by UPS can know. Both management, and hourly. Yet I know some people high in rank who do not know it very thoroughly. From an hourly perspective, it protects your rights. Such as your guaranteed hours ect. For management it can be a weapon. Once we learn the rules, we can find ways around a few of them. Some of the language in the current contract provides management with "loop-holes" or "gray areas". Which is not always a bad thing for either side.

well, you are right. my op was about going back to roots. perhaps going back to the beginning and avoiding the tragedy of "wasted talent" so to speak.

Pacman

UPS has lost its' soul, no book is going to change that. The change has to come from the top and money has become the only objective. What did Casey say? " If we are working for money alone it is the easiest way not to get it". Casey also said the one thing that would cause UPS to go out of business is the loss of Inspired Management. I don't see much inspiration from UPS management anymore. I hear and see frustration and mistrust to the degree that UPS has become no fun anymore. The lack of insight from the leaders is beyond my ken, abysmal. Oh yeah, the package cars filthy on a Monday morning is unforgivable, shame on all of you mgt people for selling out to such mediocrity.

Integrity

Binge Poster
UPS has lost its' soul, no book is going to change that. The change has to come from the top and money has become the only objective. What did Casey say? " If we are working for money alone it is the easiest way not to get it". Casey also said the one thing that would cause UPS to go out of business is the loss of Inspired Management. I don't see much inspiration from UPS management anymore. I hear and see frustration and mistrust to the degree that UPS has become no fun anymore. The lack of insight from the leaders is beyond my ken, abysmal. Oh yeah, the package cars filthy on a Monday morning is unforgivable, shame on all of you mgt people for selling out to such mediocrity.

Dear Pacman,

UPS has lost it's soul only in accordance to the level that the individual employee has given his soul up to the status quo.

We are each responsible for ourselves in this area.

The leaders are required to lead by example. When they fail to do this they fail UPS, you and themselves.

History shows that when the "people" collectively accept that they are being oppressed by their leadership it is the "people" that rise up and facilitate change.

It is my desire to see every UPS employee from the bottom up to do their job " with Integrity" and do this with reckless abandon. Take back your soul and this will force change.

Sincerely,
I

A

anonymous6

Positive change rarely comes from the top. Ever hear of a grass roots movement?

Take the American revolution for an example.

If we want positive change it will have to start with each individual.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
They know who they are Pick Up
i would beg to differ cove. the sups that really need to leave dont have a clue, my bet is for the most part, they think they are above average for what can be found at ups.

just like hitler thought he was the salvation for mankind, so many less than stellar ups employees think as well. they all think that ups will somehow suffer or go out of business should they leave.

d

EXNOHEN

How about the Bible??? That’s would they should all be reading! Not to pass judgment, but there are some real evil UPS Management people within the rank and file! They need prayer also!

D

Dis-organized Labor

I don't want to get into this discussion, but I have to ask Dilligaf, AJBlakeJr, & Fethers................was there another sister not accounted for at the Hospital? 705: kinda' resembles you girls and ....he's kinda' hot. :wink2:

Sorry ladies, the Avatar came and went; so now my Post makes no sense at all.. (Do my others?????)

DS

Fenderbender
Dear DS,

Being overdispatched is irrelevant to the responsiblities a driver has to the treatment of packages and the responsibility to refuse picking up improperly packed parcels.

I
I disagree very strongly.
A happy employee is a productive employee.
An unhappy driver may well pick up that pkg because its faster than refusing to take it.It would be nice to go inside and take 15-20 min to show them that kleenex and scotch tape are not enough,but it is 6pm and you still have 25 stops.You are at home watching Howie Mandell while ups drivers are trying to get home in time to kiss thier kids goodnight. If indeed you are Jim Casey resurrected, and have any influence at all,lets go back to service as opposed to production.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Originally Posted by Integrity
Dear DS,

Being overdispatched is irrelevant to the responsiblities a driver has to the treatment of packages and the responsibility to refuse picking up improperly packed parcels.

I
again, posted by someone with no ups experience. how would you know what is relevant and irrelevant when it comes to the drivers day?

you cant even post with integrity, and now you are lecturing us about relevance?

you sir have never been over dispatched. you have never had to deal with customers that are wanting to ship till the last minute, its 455, and you still have 6 pickups to make by 5.

you have no concept of having sups call you every 15 minutes while you are trying to concentrate on delivering your packages. you still have 30 stops, and they want you back at the building in 15 minutes, clean. and that is with a 10 minute drive back to the center.

so please, act with some integrity, dont lecture us about relevance, when you dont have a clue.

d

bbsam

Staff member
"I" it is a little vain to refer to yourself as "Integrity". It would be like me calling myself "H" for "Humility". It is for others to decide whether I display such honorable attributes and utter presumptuousness of myself to suggest that I embody them.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I disagree very strongly.
A happy employee is a productive employee.
An unhappy driver may well pick up that pkg because its faster than refusing to take it.It would be nice to go inside and take 15-20 min to show them that kleenex and scotch tape are not enough,but it is 6pm and you still have 25 stops.You are at home watching Howie Mandell while ups drivers are trying to get home in time to kiss thier kids goodnight. If indeed you are Jim Casey resurrected, and have any influence at all,lets go back to service as opposed to production.

Dear DS,
I am 100% in agreement with you that a contented and satisfied employee is a productive employee. If you read the UPS Charter, the current UPS Policy Book, and the Code of Business Conduct you will see that these foundational documents are also in agreement with you.

The point I am trying to make is that individuals should stand up for their own job integrity and not allow the failure of their management team to do their job correctly by not over dispatching to be the excuse not to do the job they have to do correctly.

If over dispatching is a concern that is causing problems to individuals in anyway, these individuals should file a detailed report with the 1-800 # and report these concerns. These indivuals should not use this issue as an excuse to not do their job correctly. Over dispatching is one issue doing your job correctly is another.

Sincerely,
I