Summer seasonal.....PVDs?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Let me preface this by saying I think the summer seasonal period is joke any way and should never have been allowed.

Now I’m hearing the plan this summer is to hire PVD drivers. What in the hell is the union doing? Allowing scabs to deliver 6 months out of the year?

Brownslave688

Low-key had 'em last year too.
Some places did I know. It was supposed to be a 1 time exception for covid. At this point it’s been over a year. It is very clear people’s shopping habits have changed forever. It’s time ups adjusted to that.

newolddude

Hopefully by summer we'll be back to normal.

But I do wonder when retail hours will adjust. Best Buys close at 7pm. Mall around here are 8pm with lots of stores closing at 5, 6 or 7pm. 24 hour WalMarts are still closing at 10pm.

About the only stores back to pre pandemic hours are Home Depot/Lowes/Menards.

Whither

Scofflaw
Let me preface this by saying I think the summer seasonal period is joke any way and should never have been allowed.

Now I’m hearing the plan this summer is to hire PVD drivers. What in the hell is the union doing? Allowing scabs to deliver 6 months out of the year?

My local has a case in arbitration right now. We'll see how that turns out...

Brownslave688

But I do wonder when retail hours will adjust. Best Buys close at 7pm. Mall around here are 8pm with lots of stores closing at 5, 6 or 7pm. 24 hour WalMarts are still closing at 10pm.

“Back to normal”
This is normal. People have simple changed the way they shop. Is that really that hard of a concept to buy into?

newolddude

“Back to normal”
This is normal. People have simple changed the way they shop. Is that really that hard of a concept to buy into?
Calm down.

Yes, people have changed their habits but not all of this will hold. Part of the online shopping still going on is out of necessity or fear. Once the pandemic is over some people will want to go back to in-person shopping.

Spanky250

It is very clear people’s shopping habits have changed forever. It’s time ups adjusted to that.

They have adjusted to it. 12 hour cap has become 14 hours. Saturdays used to be Saturday NDA only, now we are going to 6 day ground delivery. Stops per car has nearly doubled in the last few years. Start times have been moved back.

If by "adjusted" you mean hire more people, well, that's just not in Carol's plan. "Better not bigger. Do more with less. " This is the new UPS.

newolddude

They have adjusted to it. 12 hour cap has become 14 hours. Saturdays used to be Saturday NDA only, now we are going to 6 day ground delivery. Stops per car has nearly doubled in the last few years. Start times have been moved back.

If by "adjusted" you mean hire more people, well, that's just not in Carol's plan. "Better not bigger. Do more with less. " This is the new UPS.
But when does the breaking point happen? When will they stop piling on?

Ours paid union dues during peak

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Is that in the contract?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
My bet: even with everyone vaccinated, they will be utilizing zero driver helpers.
After all, having younger folks observe and copy the behavior old the older folks is so last century. We have Orion now. And cradles.

evilleace

Honestly does the mall or best buy need to be open past 7 or 8.