Sup touching my packages?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I work in preload and have recently been filling in for another person on another pen because they're on vacation. The current part-time sup has been doing things such as stacking me in my truck, moving my irregs, and going as far as taking irregs off the belt and putting them into the truck. I have never had this problem in the five months i've been here.

Also, on this pen like all sups, she pushes for speed. The drop is extremely heavy with 4 trucks, and I had 3 misloads with a 338 PPH. Today when I returned she wrote me up and told me to sign a paper acknowledging the 3 misloads. I have not had to do this since I joined the union. Do I actually have to sign the papers? Especially if the misloads were in a truck that the driver came, checked, and started loading himself?

She's also been pushing for me to stack all the bulk in the truck and i'm absolutely not capable of leaving anything out. Is this just? On the pen I usually work we are able to leave out whatever we want (bulk, irregs, huge packages) until the end, and we have been the #1 pen in service for the past 3 months.

How do I handle this situation? I've never had any problems at this hub until the 16th.

Interesting perspective. Something similar is happening to me except my supervisor who is training me is extremely encouraging and likes my work ethic. However this supervisor will help pull stuff off the belt and stack it outside the pc if the belt gets slammed, which it typically does.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What would happen if the union, for once, really clamped down on those drivers who start early and/or work through their lunch and breaks?

Our center manager is threatening to have those drivers who regularly come in off the road early (one hour or more) either change their paycode to 05 or work on the inside until thy have reached the 8 hour plus 45 minute point which, for us, is 1815.
I would like to see that clamp down. Maybe they would have to hire more drivers?

I can't see how they are getting away with falsifying their time?

haller

Stop working so fast. It does not matter if you go a month without misloads or are the best loader in the whole gosh darn building. They will kick you to the curb when the time comes.

you should file grivences on all of it. file a grievance on the write up and file a grievance on the supervisor working. part of the 8 keys is you actually have some form of a pathway. I'm surprised the driver hasn't said anything or done anything about this person. which isn't the drivers fault but they usually let the supervisors know.

Err..
1. Get close to the package - work within your PZ.
2. Position your feet approximately shoulder width apart - one foot in front of the other.
3. Bend at the knees - Keep the natural curve of the back.
4. Test the package for weight and shifting contents.
5. Get a firm grip - Grasp opposite corners.
6. Lift with a smooth and steady motion - Do not jerk.
7. Move your feet, step or pivot - Feet are used to change direction
8. Use existing equipment or facilities to assist in the lift/lower.

Someone give this man/woman a warning letter.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Err..
1. Get close to the package - work within your PZ.
2. Position your feet approximately shoulder width apart - one foot in front of the other.
3. Bend at the knees - Keep the natural curve of the back.
4. Test the package for weight and shifting contents.
5. Get a firm grip - Grasp opposite corners.
6. Lift with a smooth and steady motion - Do not jerk.
7. Move your feet, step or pivot - Feet are used to change direction
8. Use existing equipment or facilities to assist in the lift/lower.

Someone give this man/woman a warning letter.
You realize those can be expanded right. been at ups 15 years and getting pinned in a package car by a supervisor with packages is frowned upon

If you file a grievance on a safety hazard, but you haven't told your supervisor and wrote it on your concerns log, then the grievance will not be (and should not be) upheld. If you want to have a safe workplace, then YOU have to take responsibility for it too. UPS does have guidelines for that. If you do your part, and management does not do theirs, then management should take it on the chin and dish out what they owe.

Do you know your work area's safety committee member? Do you know your co-chair? Do you know your mentor? If you don't, and you've never been introduced, file a grievance on it. You should know those people. You should know their names. You should LISTEN to them.

An operations PT supervisor has a LOT of responsibilities and cannot feasibly or realistically notice every safety concern - partly because they aren't using all the equipment every minute of every day. You guys HAVE to be our eyes and ears for that kind of stuff. If you aren't, then we can't help you. I'm sorry for management that does not. You can blame 'shareholder value' for that.
You realize those can be expanded right. been at ups 15 years and getting pinned in a package car by a supervisor with packages is frowned upon
Expand away.

Stop talking a talk without walking the walk. Put up or shut up.

P.s. those are the 'expanded' keys.

Jkloc420

If you file a grievance on a safety hazard, but you haven't told your supervisor and wrote it on your concerns log, then the grievance will not be (and should not be) upheld. If you want to have a safe workplace, then YOU have to take responsibility for it too. UPS does have guidelines for that. If you do your part, and management does not do theirs, then management should take it on the chin and dish out what they owe.

Do you know your work area's safety committee member? Do you know your co-chair? Do you know your mentor? If you don't, and you've never been introduced, file a grievance on it. You should know those people. You should know their names. You should LISTEN to them.

An operations PT supervisor has a LOT of responsibilities and cannot feasibly or realistically notice every safety concern - partly because they aren't using all the equipment every minute of every day. You guys HAVE to be our eyes and ears for that kind of stuff. If you aren't, then we can't help you. I'm sorry for management that does not. You can blame 'shareholder value' for that.

Expand away.

first of all it is all null and void because the supervisor shouldn't be handling packages period. second they can't stack your packages out without giving you room to get in and out of tge car. by your logic the loader should be crawling over eregs and packages all day loading.

Jkloc420

Expand away.

maybe you should re-read the post about the supervisor doing it and knowing she is doing it. also I really hope the supervisor isn't handling eregs on their own.

Jkloc420

Expand away.

You also realize there are 5 more keys right.

You also realize there are 5 more keys right.
'part of the 8 keys is you actually have some form of a pathway'.

You want to bring in more keys and move your goalposts...fine.

1. Walk at a brisk pace - do not run.
2. Establish firm footing.
3. Do not walk or climb on chutes, slides, or rollers.
4. Look before stepping.
5. Make adjustments for changing conditions.

Next, please.

first of all it is all null and void because the supervisor shouldn't be handling packages period. second they can't stack your packages out without giving you room to get in and out of tge car. by your logic the loader should be crawling over eregs and packages all day loading.

This was never said. OP said that they were being told to load their stack outs and couldn't load anymore on the truck. OP should get used to this because it seems like 'challenging stack outs' has become an operational campaign.

maybe you should re-read the post about the supervisor doing it and knowing she is doing it. also I really hope the supervisor isn't handling eregs on their own.

*Irregs.

If your complaint is that a supervisor is helping this person by pulling her Irreg's off the bottom belt, well, maybe that supervisor is helping this person instead of disciplining them for missing their Irreg's in the first place. OP, have you asked about that? I know in my center that's one of the biggest problems we have with loaders. They constantly miss/intentionally ignore the bottom belt. So the supervisors either have to pull someone from their work area^^ to get Irreg's from under the belt, or they have to go down there and do it themselves. Until the plausibility of that scenario is explored, and let's be real...it's a strong plausibility, then you really should not say that the supervisor shouldn't be doing something.

Or you can be right, maybe they should just discipline the employee with a warning letter for failing to follow job methods? After all, the supervisor wouldn't be pulling the irregular packages from the bottom belt if the loader was already in the process of doing it like they're supposed to.

^^And when we do this, it almost always resorts in somebody on the sort aisle having a near-death experience. Because, as this forum shows, a lot of you don't give a damn about safety until it's your own. The number of times I saw/heard irregular packages like 100+ LB wire spools FLY down a PF return slide and nearly maim somebody on the sort aisle is ridiculous.

Jkloc420

4. Look before stepping.

Next, please.

This was never said. OP said that they were being told to load their stack outs and couldn't load anymore on the truck. OP should get used to this because it seems like 'challenging stack outs' has become an operational campaign.

*Irregs.

If your complaint is that a supervisor is helping this person by pulling her Irreg's off the bottom belt, well, maybe that supervisor is helping this person instead of disciplining them for missing their Irreg's in the first place. OP, have you asked about that? I know in my center that's one of the biggest problems we have with loaders. They constantly miss/intentionally ignore the bottom belt. So the supervisors either have to pull someone from their work area^^ to get Irreg's from under the belt, or they have to go down there and do it themselves. Until the plausibility of that scenario is explored, and let's be real...it's a strong plausibility, then you really should not say that the supervisor shouldn't be doing something.

Or you can be right, maybe they should just discipline the employee with a warning letter for failing to follow job methods? After all, the supervisor wouldn't be pulling the irregular packages from the bottom belt if the loader was already in the process of doing it like they're supposed to.

^^And when we do this, it almost always resorts in somebody on the sort aisle having a near-death experience. Because, as this forum shows, a lot of you don't give a damn about safety until it's your own. The number of times I saw/heard irregular packages like 100+ LB wire spools FLY down a PF return slide and nearly maim somebody on the sort aisle is ridiculous.
You need to go back and re-read. he said being stacked in the truck. which means the supervisor is handling packages. also read the title of the thread. regardless the worker has to have a way to get in and out of the truck. we get are irregular on a cart at the end of the day, to be loaded in at the end of the day. if the supervisor is not asked or another union member is not around they are not allowed to handle them. only exception is if jeopardizes someone's safety.

Jkloc420

4. Look before stepping.

Next, please.

*Irregs.

Actually there is no discipline for irregular, anything over 70 pounds requires help. you can't force him to pull it without sending a union member down to help.

Jkloc420

4. Look before stepping.

Next, please.

*Irregs.

also a spool should never come down like that period. it dangerous and whomever did it should be disciplined.

haller

4. Look before stepping.

Next, please.

*Irregs.

Oh-My-God-Who-The-Hell-Cares-Gif-On-Family-Guy.gif

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What would happen if the union, for once, really clamped down on those drivers who start early and/or work through their lunch and breaks?

Our center manager is threatening to have those drivers who regularly come in off the road early (one hour or more) either change their paycode to 05 or work on the inside until thy have reached the 8 hour plus 45 minute point which, for us, is 1815.

No more guarantee for you?

BTW, welcome back.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
An operations PT supervisor has a LOT of responsibilities and cannot feasibly or realistically notice every safety concern
giphy.gif

Maybe if they weren't jamming boxes into a guys truck they would have more time to notice if there was a safety concern in their area.
Also I belive the safety committee is supposed to go around the building inspecting for safety concerns, not waiting for people to come to them and report problems, again if they were doing what they ate supposed to instead of handing out tootsie rolls and water it wouldn't be up to the loader to do their job for them