super seniority

anthony62

I was lead cover for seven years before i was able to bid a route. I bid a city route and was on it for five years. We had a feeder driver bump back in because his route was slashed. You know when that happens its a three time bump, I was the third to be bumped. It would'nt bother me so much but the guy who bumped me was one of those drivers who had two years tacked on to his seniority date after the strike in '97. Although I came into the company before him he gets my route and I have to back to cover until something opens up. What the friend!!!!!

anthony62

I'm not exactly sure of all the details but if you remember after the strike, they created the 22 jobs. And certain 22's (at least in our district) were given back pay equaling 1000's of dollars because of the hours they worked when they were part-time equaled a full-time job. So as far as I know there is only 2 or 3 of these (super seniority) drivers in our district.

JonFrum

After the August '97 strike was over, there were two paths part-timers could follow to becoming full-time. One was to bid a package car job as the jobs were posted from time to time, and begin driving shortly thereafter. The other path was to bid an Article 22.3 job. Except that Management refused to post any Article 22.3 jobs, so the Ron Carey administration took the matter to arbitration. It took until about April of 2000 for the first wave of 22.3 jobs to finally be created. During that interval numerous package car jobs were posted and part-timers such as yourself went full-time. You had the same opportunity to pass up all those package car driving jobs and wait for the 22.3 arbitration process to work its way through to the end, as the other fellow did. You chose one path, he chose the other. As in any lawsuit or arbitration, the matter in dispute is in a state of limbo while the legal process crawls along. There is no guarantee of success. But if the outcome is favorable, as in this case, normally the agrieved party is "made whole" retroactively. Part of the "make whole" directive was that Year One jobs be given a retroactive seniority date of 8/1/1998, and Year Two jobs be given a retroactive seniority date of 8/1/1999. From a legal perspective, you could have had one of these 22.3 jobs if you wanted one, and your higher part-time seniority would have secured a Year One job for you, before that other fellow with lesser seniority. Even if you were unaware of the pending arbitration, legally, you are presumed to be aware of it (because you "should" have been) so you have not been cheated or disadvantaged in any way.

Incidently, by the time Arbitrator Nicolau issued his decision rejecting UPS' avalanche of arguments and data, James Hoffa had taken over. He wasted no time gutting the successful Award he had been handed. That's why Year One (8/1/97 thru 7/31/98) jobs have a retroactive seniority date of only 8/1/98, which is actually the first day of contract year two!!! And Year Two (8/1/198 thru 7/31/99) jobs have a retroactive seniority date of only 8/1/99, which is actually the first day of contract year three!!! Hoffa has been undermining 22.3 jobs (and many other things) ever since.

anthony62

After the August '97 strike was over, there were two paths part-timers could follow to becoming full-time. One was to bid a package car job as the jobs were posted from time to time, and begin driving shortly thereafter. The other path was to bid an Article 22.3 job. Except that Management refused to post any Article 22.3 jobs, so the Ron Carey administration took the matter to arbitration. It took until about April of 2000 for the first wave of 22.3 jobs to finally be created. During that interval numerous package car jobs were posted and part-timers such as yourself went full-time. You had the same opportunity to pass up all those package car driving jobs and wait for the 22.3 arbitration process to work its way through to the end, as the other fellow did. You chose one path, he chose the other. As in any lawsuit or arbitration, the matter in dispute is in a state of limbo while the legal process crawls along. There is no guarantee of success. But if the outcome is favorable, as in this case, normally the agrieved party is "made whole" retroactively. Part of the "make whole" directive was that Year One jobs be given a retroactive seniority date of 8/1/1998, and Year Two jobs be given a retroactive seniority date of 8/1/1999. From a legal perspective, you could have had one of these 22.3 jobs if you wanted one, and your higher part-time seniority would have secured a Year One job for you, before that other fellow with lesser seniority. Even if you were unaware of the pending arbitration, legally, you are presumed to be aware of it (because you "should" have been) so you have not been cheated or disadvantaged in any way.

Incidently, by the time Arbitrator Nicolau issued his decision rejecting UPS' avalanche of arguments and data, James Hoffa had taken over. He wasted no time gutting the successful Award he had been handed. That's why Year One (8/1/97 thru 7/31/98) jobs have a retroactive seniority date of only 8/1/98, which is actually the first day of contract year two!!! And Year Two (8/1/198 thru 7/31/99) jobs have a retroactive seniority date of only 8/1/99, which is actually the first day of contract year three!!! Hoffa has been undermining 22.3 jobs (and many other things) ever since.