Supervisor drunk on the job?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward
Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
"If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
Such is the rule of honor.
depends. if a drunk stupe could be responsible for injury or death........yes speak up.

JJinVA

Agree that management needs to be coherent in the event that a driver gets injured or has an emergency. Being drunk on any job is never ok. Id call the hotline and report them. You may end up saving their lives and/or one of your fellow drivers

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward
Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
"If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
Such is the rule of honor.
Yo, don't rat! If they ain't driving, what do I care?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Agree that management needs to be coherent in the event that a driver gets injured or has an emergency. Being drunk on any job is never ok. Id call the hotline and report them. You may end up saving their lives and/or one of your fellow drivers
Narc!

rod

Retired 22 years
Most Friday mornings damn near everyone in the building would have failed a DUI test after Thirsty Thursday's shenanigans---that following Whiskey Wednesday.

JJinVA

lol im fine with it. Do that :censored2: on your own time is how I feel about it. Wanna smoke meth, coke, heroin. All personal choices, on your own time. It's hard enough getting ahold of them when something goes wrong when they're sober let alone shatfaced

It's cute that you think management is coherent, even when "sober."
giphy (3).gif

JJinVA

Not the first aid squad or momma. Not our business.

Well I promise you this, they wont need an attorney if they drive fkd up and run into and kill my niece or nephew, they WILL however need some ICU first aid and some reconstructive surgeries though

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
I saw a full time smoking a joint with a few PT sups out in our break area about a year ago or so. Me personally, I would just leave them be. If they're drunk on the job and soley responsible for holding a clipboard all night, forget about it as not much harm can be done. Most of the time they probably need some therapy as life ain't treating them too well:rain:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Some of you are not getting the picture. Supes are in a position of responsibility. If someone gets hurt, passes out , or any kind of emergency large or small , who does most people go to? It's usually a person of authority as the first responder until someone qualified in first aid can arrive.

In some instances seconds can count and I sure as hell don't want an impaired person around that can't help a person in need. Sure , maybe another hourlie can help. Some people know first aid or were in the scouts or took EMT classes or are studying in the medical field etc.

But a UPS supervisor is supposed to be a professional. I have NO Tolerance for a supervisor being under the influence of alcohol or drugs. They should be terminated after a positive test. I don't care how common it may be.

ZERO tolerance.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Some of you are not getting the picture. Supes are in a position of responsibility. If someone gets hurt, passes out , or any kind of emergency large or small , who does most people go to? It's usually a person of authority as the first responder until someone qualified in first aid can arrive.

In some instances seconds can count and I sure as hell don't want an impaired person around that can't help a person in need. Sure , maybe another hourlie can help. Some people know first aid or were in the scouts or took EMT classes or are studying in the medical field etc.

But a UPS supervisor is supposed to be a professional. I have NO Tolerance for a supervisor being under the influence of alcohol or drugs. They should be terminated after a positive test. I don't care how common it may be.

ZERO tolerance.

I am the person most responsible for my safety. If I relied on supervisors to keep me safe, I'd be dead. Zero tolerance means zero brains.

dudebro

ZERO tolerance.
As a Teamster you're supposed to (ideally) notify a supervisor who isn't impared. Then its the responsibility of that person to follow the rules which are the same for anyone. If they're looking to drive you can't let them, and in any case you get a manager as a witness and intervene. Then the employee or supervisor has one bite of the apple to say, "I have a problem and I need help" to be referred to counseling. If they insist they're fine you send them for a fitness for duty test. I've been in many situations where we've prompted someone with "Are you sure you don't have anything to tell me?"