Supervisors Working Grievances on Behalf of Others

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I've actually considered that (not very seriously, but still). I know that the steward does care at least a little. When the staggered start was going to be made 45 minutes, he actually went around and told people to file supervisors working grievances, and he may have filed some himself. However, I figured that he would be more active filing supervisors working grievances. At the very least he could have made some money (I think). At any rate, I will continue filing, and will file on behalf of others. The good news is that I have informed a fellow teamster about the supervisors working clause of the contract, and have convinced him to start filing as well (and to spread the word as I am), so maybe things will start to change around here.

As a Steward for longer than I care to admit I can tell you that there has never been a time where I had enough help. It varies by Local but usually there is a number of how many Stewards per shift. Some Locals have "Paid" Stewards in which the pay is their dues, and then they will have Alternate Stewards that are unpaid. Most of my time has been spent as an Alternate Steward or voluntarily unpaid by choice. There is no difference between the titles except the pay, and anyone getting into this for the free dues will be sorely disappointed. So don't feel you necessarily have to displace the other Steward to become one, he might welcome the assistance. I believe most Locals do not offer paid Stewards, but regardless get a copy of your Local's Bylaws and see what they say about electing and/or appointing Stewards. My first 'election' was 4 of us signing up for 4 open positions. "OK, you're a Steward now" and the rest is history. I've worked in buildings where we could fill a conference room with Stewards and one where it was just me for all three shifts. I always appreciated any help that came my way.

From what I've read here I'd say you would do very well.

turdburglar

As a Steward for longer than I care to admit I can tell you that there has never been a time where I had enough help. It varies by Local but usually there is a number of how many Stewards per shift. Some Locals have "Paid" Stewards in which the pay is their dues, and then they will have Alternate Stewards that are unpaid. Most of my time has been spent as an Alternate Steward or voluntarily unpaid by choice. There is no difference between the titles except the pay, and anyone getting into this for the free dues will be sorely disappointed. So don't feel you necessarily have to displace the other Steward to become one, he might welcome the assistance. I believe most Locals do not offer paid Stewards, but regardless get a copy of your Local's Bylaws and see what they say about electing and/or appointing Stewards. My first 'election' was 4 of us signing up for 4 open positions. "OK, you're a Steward now" and the rest is history. I've worked in buildings where we could fill a conference room with Stewards and one where it was just me for all three shifts. I always appreciated any help that came my way.

From what I've read here I'd say you would do very well.
I would certainly consider what you are saying, but I am busy with school (I work part-time at UPS and am a full-time student). I know at the very least, however, that for the time being I can help the steward with enforcing the supervisors working clause of the contract. He seems to stand by what the contract says (at least when you talk to him), even though he does not enforce it himself. However, he definitely stands by people who are filing supervisors working (and other) grievances, which may be more than can be said about some stewards (I have heard that some stewards have been "bought" by management). It's funny, because a couple of the people that I have been talking to about filing supervisors working grievances and acting as my witness if they are not willing to file said that I should become the steward instead. It really seems that a lot of people do not understand why I or anyone else would file supervisors working grievances, but considering that a lot of them are attempting to become drivers, it is easy for me to explain to them why they should not be happy that supervisors are "helping" them with their packages. Do any stewards here think they could explain what exactly a steward does (other than handle grievances)?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I would certainly consider what you are saying, but I am busy with school (I work part-time at UPS and am a full-time student). I know at the very least, however, that for the time being I can help the steward with enforcing the supervisors working clause of the contract. He seems to stand by what the contract says (at least when you talk to him), even though he does not enforce it himself. However, he definitely stands by people who are filing supervisors working (and other) grievances, which may be more than can be said about some stewards (I have heard that some stewards have been "bought" by management). It's funny, because a couple of the people that I have been talking to about filing supervisors working grievances and acting as my witness if they are not willing to file said that I should become the steward instead. It really seems that a lot of people do not understand why I or anyone else would file supervisors working grievances, but considering that a lot of them are attempting to become drivers, it is easy for me to explain to them why they should not be happy that supervisors are "helping" them with their packages. Do any stewards here think they could explain what exactly a steward does (other than handle grievances)?

A steward's role is counselor/negotiator/problem-solver/enforcer. You need to be able to be tough on management (but still be able to work things out, sometimes without utilizing the grievance process) when they violate the contract/harass our members and need to be able to attend union meetings so you can pass along information to your fellow union members.

BTW: When you file, it hurts your sort/division manager's paycheck. They actually get penalized (at least in our district) on their bonus pay for grievances.

ymelord

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be able to file a supervisors working grievance on behalf of other preloaders. It appears that I am the only one in the building who has the balls to actually file, although there are people in the building who are sick of how they are run off the clock only to have supervisors do their work once they leave. This is problematic since I can only watch so many metros. However, like I said, there are people who are willing to make a log of supervisors working so that I can file on them (with the preloader making a log as a witness). It does not seem that they are interested in the grievance money at all, they just want supervisors to stop taking their time from them (or they are scared of retaliation). So, is it allowable? Thank You in advance for any responses.
File the grievance on the sup's for your own benefit. Take all the free money you can get. As part timers see you getting paid they will start to want a piece of the pie. lead by example

turdburglar

File the grievance on the sup's for your own benefit. Take all the free money you can get. As part timers see you getting paid they will start to want a piece of the pie. lead by example
I've been telling people who are afraid to file that there are monetary incentives to filing, but oddly enough only one person thus far has actually been convinced by me to file supervisors working grievances. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. As my steward said, I cannot force anyone to grow balls, I can only grow my own.

Buck Fifty

Monetary penalties will do nothing to stop Supes from working.

For the most part that is correct, but it sure is fun to pop up on them and watch them shove there hands in their pockets. Far as I'm concerned, if you cant see their hands, the grievances are working. Fun to play the game !

Returntosender

I've been telling people who are afraid to file that there are monetary incentives to filing, but oddly enough only one person thus far has actually been convinced by me to file supervisors working grievances. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. As my steward said, I cannot force anyone to grow balls, I can only grow my own.

Maybe the others just have undescended testicles.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Apathy is the greatest enemy of both the Steward and the Union.

A Steward is somewhat like being a Highway Patrol Officer, in that you will see people speeding but can't pull everyone over. I usually give a Supervisor 2 or 3 chances before filing for minor work such as emptying a return slide, but a lot depends on their attitude and level of respect. While the money is nice, using the possibility of a grievance to build a rapport with the Manager of the sort is worth more. In some buildings I can get the supervisors 'talked to' with a simple text to the manager. Since we operate on the bounty system, if it becomes a problem I file at my Feeder driver pay and then give the money to the loader or preloader. When they see one grievance is more than they make in a day they are happy to supply me with information on anyone working. The goal is to solve the problem so it rarely gets to this point.

The Stewards main job is to reduce the number of grievances. This is where rapport and respect come in. For example, when I was in package I was forced to work one day-after-Thanksgiving and when I came in I realized that people below me weren't there and fewer than were scheduled were worked. The Company had not met with the Union to discuss their Holiday plans as required by Article 40. Investigating I discovered that Drivers were called or had called & were given the day off without regard to Seniority. Investigating further I discovered that the average paid day in my center was roughly 2 and a quarter hours. Filing an et.al. grievance I investigated the other three centers and found even more egregious violations.

I found that not only were all the part-time air drivers not forced to work prior to forcing full-time drivers; but also that 3 Day Select and Ground packages were being delivered. One Center Manager refused to give me WOR's and delivery records for that day. This particular center manager was known for his temper and feared by nearly everyone in the center. After getting the Labor involved and 'educating' him about the right of the Steward to request information, I had the exquisite pleasure of watching him totally red-faced & absolutely livid with anger print me out a 1 foot tall stack of records in front of the entire center. I've since never had a problem requesting records.

This particular center worked more than 80% of their drivers that Holiday at an average paid day of 2.25 with more Ground and 3 Day Select delivered than any other Center. I won my grievance at the National Air Committee and all Drivers were paid for 8 hours on that day. This led to the language we enjoy today, where Full Time Drivers are paid at time & one half and can request an 8 hour day. In addition, if the Centers schedule excessive employees they can receive double time. So little things can lead to big things.

Other than grievances, the Steward should set a good example; talk Union; organize organize organize; enforce and be knowledgeable about the Contract,Federal & State Regulations such as OSHA; and (probably most importantly) be the Voice of Reason. Generally you aren't given a lot of direction as a Steward and can set the tone for your shop. We tell you more about what we don't want you to do like horse trade grievances.

It can take up a lot of time, and sometimes all is Quiet on the Western Front and you won't have much to do. In Feeders it's mostly boring as hell except for the occasional accident or termination. Working with the preload I had to do a lot with attendance and usually some open & shut cases of theft related terminations. I had a really competent and fair preload manager that set up a good system to get the attendance problem under control without terminating anyone. Stewards have lives, second jobs (and the first job), families & school too so understanding that Members will never feel you do enough as a Steward will be your ongoing challenge.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We can request 8 hours of work on "non-operational" days but are paid at straight time, not time and a half. If we do request 8 we deliver and then wash package cars.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Ohhhhh really?!! Then you would get a call from the National Labor Relations Board for interfering with a union investigation. I give you the choice. I'm sure after that, all your sup buddies will,"Show me your hands". Trust me, I'm sure face to face, you wouldn't say jack :censored2:.

you sound pretty scary

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
We can request 8 hours of work on "non-operational" days but are paid at straight time, not time and a half. If we do request 8 we deliver and then wash package cars.

Article 40 Sec 1 (j) (1)(2)(3) and (4) (2) specifically about the overtime but thanks for your input although it will be quickly forgotten.