Supreme Court strikes down public union dues, any thoughts?

MAKAVELI

Already got one. And it will be the only one of my career here unless something changes.

I don’t deserve one right now. You have to put your time in. That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying it’s kind of sickening to look at the future and not see ever getting a raise. Making 30,000 the rest of my career. There’s guys that haven’t seen a raise in 10+ years. It’s not fair to them. They’ve already told us don’t expect anything for 5 years. Meanwhile they spend millions on new dump trucks, etc.
Sounds like you need a union.:happy2:

Hethatbeking

Not at all. People are scumbags. They think “I’ve I don’t pay dues I can buy a new TV.” But they never do. My issue is that under RTW, you still get representation. If you don’t want to pay dues, fine, but you should be on your own including negotiating your own pay and representing yourself. RTW is like going to a restaurant and skipping on the bill. You piss on the people that died for your good wage.
But isn't a recipe for corporations to divide and conquer?

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
Just make sure to tell your local that you refuse all Union representation and rights in cases of discipline and negotiation. I've seen even the most anti-union guys throw their "beliefs" out the window when trouble comes for them.
Republican here and have NO problem paying dues or donating to DRIVE. The Union has saved my ass more than once. I didn't whine like some I know when my dues went up to 2.5 times my hourly rate. Compared to other big union companies, are dues are cheap if you ask me.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Just make sure to tell your local that you refuse all Union representation and rights in cases of discipline and negotiation. I've seen even the most anti-union guys throw their "beliefs" out the window when trouble comes for them.
I understand your perspective but there are plenty of members who already feel that our union isn’t representing us fairly or in an equitable way. Like I said this puts the ball in the unions end of the court. They’ll need to solicit our dues as they should already of been doing. I’m pro union but I’m not in any way for the idea of blindly paying money to an organization that doesn’t fulfill its obligations to its “dues paying” members.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
One has nothing to do with the other....if you’re content and happy with your representation then it is your right to pay dues as it would be mine. I’ve been in the union since I was 18 and for 24 years I’ve had zero legitimate recourse to express my disappointment with my unions actions. The union should welcome this individual power that I would have seeing as it’s the cornerstone of what the unions were built on. Clearly your mind is made and that’s fine, you’d be a good fit for management seeing as your only response is regurgitated rhetoric.

Hethatbeking

Regardless of who’s in office this decision strikes to the rights we are all afforded to as Americans. This is a voluntary action, in other words if you’re happy with your representation and find no conflict with your personal beliefs and the platforms that their anointed candidates are pushing, then you’ll see no issue with paying your dues. Ironically this power given back to its employees is exactly what the union should support and in fact has been the cornerstone in which the union has stood for since its inception.
Wrong. This decision isn't about representation. It's about hurting Unions financially and hurting their ability to advocate politically on the local, state and federal level. President Trump was very clear in his analysis of what this ruling would mean when he declared that the Democrats had lost big.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Wrong. This decision isn't about representation. It's about hurting Unions financially and hurting their ability to advocate politically on the local, state and federal level. President Trump was very clear in his analysis of what this ruling would mean when he declared that the Democrats had lost big.
I don’t disagree with the intended agenda but as a 24 year union member I welcome the idea of being able to have a voice. The union should take advantage of this ruling and cone out welcoming it with open arms, touting about the unions long lasting mission of employee empowerment and their commitment to that cause.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Your generous pay and benefits have been your 24 year empowerment.
Maybe...maybe not. Here we pay our helpers $20 an hour with overtime after 5 hours. Why you ask.....because that’s what the market demands. I do believe in some instances the union in fact prevents us in certain areas from making more do to the artificial wage subsidization of drivers in markets that don’t warrant the $36 an hour. Where I am we have great difficulty attracting and then keeping new drivers and wage is routinely cited.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
What should the hourly wage be in order to keep them? What would the free market dictate if the Union weren’t around?
The answer to that is way above my pay grade but I do think that cost of living in the area would be a very equitable place to start.

Box Ox

The answer to that is way above my pay grade but I do think that cost of living in the area would be a very equitable place to start.

So if UPS drivers had not been unionized in 2018, you can imagine the local top rate might have been north of $36/hr? Benefits too?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
So if UPS drivers had not been unionized in 2018, you can imagine the local top rate might have been north of $36/hr? Benefits too?
This is what I believe....some would be compensated either at or above the rate due to their locations, while others would be paid less. It’s simple economics....there’s only so much money to go around. Those who live in “high rent districts” actually have less purchasing power thus make less money. It’s called cost of living. It’s a subject that few want to talk about but that doesn’t make it any less factual.