Sups working?

Kis124

I questioned why supervisors were working. I witnessed 2 in DA, 1 helping the de-bagger, and 1 taking recycles to the belt. The answer I got was because we were down 6 people. There were trailers with 2 unloaders in them, so why couldn't they shuffle people around? There are so many union violations going on at my center, and I cannot seem to get anyones attention to it. It seems that the union only cares about the full time drivers and getting the dues paid everyweek.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only time supervisors are supposed to work is during operational emergencies; however, known or planned staffing shortages are not operational emergencies. An example of an operational emergency would be a power outage.

Keep in mind that the operation must continue as pull times must be met.

One solution would be for management to post a sign-up list for part-timers who want extra work.

The grievance procedure is our remedy to identify and (hopefully) resolve contract issues. You can file a grievance on these supervisors working but, in the situation you described, it would most likely be denied due to operational emergency and you would then have a target on your back.

menotyou

bella amicizia
One person unloading isn't safe. You are in there to help each other. Just grieve it. Staffing shortages is not an emergency. It summer. You are short staffed because casuals are driving. I bet in two weeks you won't be short staffed. Write a letter to your BA asking what he is doing about this situation if you don't feel comfortable grieving.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Upstate saysyou'll have a target on your back, pay that no mind, thats the mentality that management wants you to think so they can continue to blatantly disregard the agreement that they signed; read contract. File away and collect your money. When you get paid show your other pt workers how management is working for you. Maybe more will help you file and finally get the proper staffing to operate in a safe environment while upholding the contract. Stand up or be walked all over, your choice.

Upstate saysyou'll have a target on your back, pay that no mind, thats the mentality that management wants you to think so they can continue to blatantly disregard the agreement that they signed; read contract. File away and collect your money. When you get paid show your other pt workers how management is working for you. Maybe more will help you file and finally get the proper staffing to operate in a safe environment while upholding the contract. Stand up or be walked all over, your choice.
Yea what he said man up or just shut the friend-•: up. Grieve it many men & women fought for the contract language & rights we have won. Go in a room by yourself & find your balls. If you've still got them use them. It will be ok

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yea what he said man up or just shut the friend-•: up. Grieve it many men & women fought for the contract language & rights we have won. Go in a room by yourself & find your balls. If you've still got them use them. It will be ok
Good to have you back.

C

chuchu

The best defense is a good offense. Double time fits my budget. We filed on sups running summer vacation coverage. One driver got paid $1080.00 and another got $1300.00 because the company failed to offer the work to the guys on vacation. Not a bad bonus. Both drivers are still working at UPS. So, document them working for 6 calendar days and at the end of your shift on the sixth day tell your immediate sup (with your steward present) that you want paid for their hours. If they don't agree to pay you give them a grievance on the next day telling them you want double-time pay. If they make your life hard after that file an Art. 37 on them for harrassment. Be calm and document what they say and do. They see the light after they feel the heat! (If they ever see it at all.)

dillweed

Wish you hadn't been quite so rude and crude with your reply on this one. We have a new poster with a fair question. We welcome new posters, don't we? You went off on him and told him to find his balls if he has them? That's a very hard hit and I'm pretty sure he/whe won't come back to this forum.

dillweed

I questioned why supervisors were working. I witnessed 2 in DA, 1 helping the de-bagger, and 1 taking recycles to the belt. The answer I got was because we were down 6 people. There were trailers with 2 unloaders in them, so why couldn't they shuffle people around? There are so many union violations going on at my center, and I cannot seem to get anyones attention to it. It seems that the union only cares about the full time drivers and getting the dues paid everyweek.

Contract language is very specific about sups working. It isn't to happen, period. You should have at least one union steward in your building. Ask around and find out who it is. Explain what you saw, have names of sups and dates, times they worked.

Your steward should supply you with a grievance form and should also help you fill it out properly. It's not hard, just asks for the facts. You should receive a letter from the union stating when and where your grievance will be heard by a panel made up of union and management representatives. In my area, the panel is over an hour's drive and I'd have to take off work to go, which I'm entitled to do. However, the union's job is to represent us and they present our grievance to the panel.

After the date of panel, ask your steward if he knows what happened. He/she should know how it went and, if your grievance wins, you will recieve a separate check.

Target on your back? It has been known to happen but as long as you keep your nose clean and do your job there's not much they can do about it. Our building had lots of grievances filed a couple months ago for the same issue and no targets that I know of. Lots of checks written and they hired some new people, which is what needed to be done.

If, for some reason, you cannot find a union steward you need to call the BA. For that you would have to ask around and I don't know who would supply you with that info. There is probably something posted on a bulletin board in the building.

Another suggestion is to talk to a co-worker about the issue and have them sign your grievance as a witness. Or you can let them file and you sign for them. The person with higher seniority will get the money. You may not get the money of you're not high seniority but at least you'll learn how the process works without feeling you are out on a limb by yourself.

One more thing - the forum here has lots of people with strong opionons and for good reason. Sometimes we come across pretty harsh but it's not to be taken personlly. The anger is not so much directed at one person as it is directed at an ongoing situation such as management working and union employees who feel intimidated to file. It's like working at UPS or most other things in life -- don't take it personally. Everyone lives in their own reality and percieves life through their own lives. We seldom have much to do with how they see life. Take care, best of luck and come back with any questions you have.

Wish you hadn't been quite so rude and crude with your reply on this one. We have a new poster with a fair question. We welcome new posters, don't we? You went off on him and told him to find his balls if he has them? That's a very hard hit and I'm pretty sure he/whe won't come back to this forum.
Being very involved in my local union I get very irritated by people who have no balls. Or how about the statement that all the union cares about are dues. If there is a ton of contract violations like he said fill on it. If I seemed rude my bad sorry I offended you I guess your buddy upstate is rubbing off on me.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Being very involved in my local union I get very irritated by people who have no balls. Or how about the statement that all the union cares about are dues. If there is a ton of contract violations like he said fill on it. If I seemed rude my bad sorry I offended you I guess your buddy upstate is rubbing off on me.
I sure he would claim he is just being 'straightforward'. He doesn't know the difference. He is a caravan of hypocrisy.
But, I am sure he will come on here and school us on the difference as he sees it. The badge of perfectness that he wears blinds him to his inadequacies. He needs to look in the mirror before lording his righteousness over us peasants.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I sure he would claim he is just being 'straightforward'. He doesn't know the difference. He is a caravan of hypocrisy.
But, I am sure he will come on here and school us on the difference as he sees it. The badge of perfectness that he wears blinds him to his inadequacies. He needs to look in the mirror before lording his righteousness over us peasants.

Wow--someone dusted off their thesaurus this morning.:wink2:

Kis124

Its not that I don't have balls..(which I literally don't btw), It is the fact that the local union is only concerned about the full timers...I was out of work for 3.5 months with an injury, and the union only was concerned about my dues..couldn't care less that I was barely able to feed my kid.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am a full timer out on injury and they don't care about me, either. Injured because of short staffing/over worked.

dillweed

LOL - all this ball talk and she's female. he, he OK Kis - talk to some of your co-workers and see if they are also concerned about the sups working. If they are, try to file with other signatures as witnesses. Split the grievance money. If enough of you do this on a regular basis there may be changes. Target be damned, I've been carrying one for years and it has just made me stronger and wiser.

Its not that I don't have balls..(which I literally don't btw), It is the fact that the local union is only concerned about the full timers...I was out of work for 3.5 months with an injury, and the union only was concerned about my dues..couldn't care less that I was barely able to feed my kid.

Donna Trosclair

Hey Kis124, Did you ever try to file a complaint? The union steps in when they recieve a complaint ! Being union means standing up for your rights and if sups are working and you don't like it than you should take the first step and file a complaint.

Donna Trosclair

In the same sence did ups care that if you could pay your bills ? Everything is according to the contract and we as teamsters need to up hold ups to the contract ! We are the union .

Donna Trosclair

True dillweed !! It doesn't matter if kis talks about balls that doesn't bother me a bit ! Take a stand at your ctr ! You will learn quick who has the balls and in the long run you will gain respect !