Surge pay

Lates

I heard from the senior in the area getting the surge pay he is trying to make it permanent. As in moving Nashville to a higher scale because of cost of living in the area now. This is to see if increased pay will help staffing issues in that market.

floridays

I heard from the senior in the area getting the surge pay he is trying to make it permanent. As in moving Nashville to a higher scale because of cost of living in the area now. This is to see if increased pay will help staffing issues in that market.
Surge pay is going rate for employment in that area truth be told. Do you think this number was just plucked out of the air? Ask @59 Dano if fedex just pulls numbers out of the ass.
It's no cost of living eqation, don't belive me check the payrate in Jackson WY., check it in Aspen and Steamboat Co in relation to the cost of living..

Lates

Surge pay is going rate for employment in that area truth be told. Do you think this number was just plucked out of the air? Ask @59 Dano if fedex just pulls numbers out of the ass.
It's no cost of living eqation, don't belive me check the payrate in Jackson WY., check it in Aspen and Steamboat Co in relation to the cost of living..
No I don’t think they pulled it from nowhere and at some point it will have to be nation wide to fix the staffing issues. Smaller stations don’t have the same issues most of the time so they get completely screwed. I don’t look for this to fix staffing for the ramp or station in Nashville. Biggest problem is late freight by the time it gets there the part time package handlers have to leave to get to their full time jobs so no one is there to unload it.

floridays

No I don’t think they pulled it from nowhere and at some point it will have to be nation wide to fix the staffing issues. Smaller stations don’t have the same issues most of the time so they get completely screwed. I don’t look for this to fix staffing for the ramp or station in Nashville. Biggest problem is late freight by the time it gets there the part time package handlers have to leave to get to their full time jobs so no one is there to unload it.
Seems like you guys have problems. I have my thoughts for a cure, but I'm a :censored2:. I'll bet if you told @59 Dano he could address the situation with a permanent fix.

The resident smart guy, that would be @59 Dano if you'd like to run it by him.

Aquaman

Of course the senior is telling you guys he’s trying to make it permanent lol. Management at this company is in the “fake it till you make it” stage of the game. They’re saying anything they can short of a guarantee to sugar coat the future. Anything to just buy them another day of your employment. They know peak is coming. They know our pay is WAY behind. And they’re scared. Don’t trust a single thing management tells you right now.

Fergus Mahoney

Waiting for the next one like....

Attachments

• guufsF0Az3Lpu.gif
    guufsF0Az3Lpu.gif
    485.9 KB · Views: 65

Maui

Of course the senior is telling you guys he’s trying to make it permanent lol. Management at this company is in the “fake it till you make it” stage of the game. They’re saying anything they can short of a guarantee to sugar coat the future. Anything to just buy them another day of your employment. They know peak is coming. They know our pay is WAY behind. And they’re scared. Don’t trust a single thing management tells you right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if the station and ramp senior have sought a market increase. I'm sure it's a top market and they had peak premium pay last year. There's almost no chance it would match $3/hour for everyone though. Even at top pay that would move the market to B2 and only C3 at top out would see $3. The most analogous market, to me, is Atlanta and it's a B1.

Competitive pay has nothing to do with COL. It is based on wages from the BLS wage survey. The most recent data is from May 2020 and starting pay in these markets is close to and often above the median or average pay for the type of work. The biggest delta is for tractor trailer drivers. Even for them top pay is better than median or average pretty much every market. It's just getting to top that's the problem. And there are some companies starting tractor drivers at $27-$32+ in what would be B0 markets and FedEx can't compete there.

I think most of us, including management to al least most directors if not RVP, would like to see increased pay. Nashville is getting more expensive, but even that isn't as fast as Boise or Phoenix which are also B0. Phoenix is starting to see some significant wag increases that will hopefully push it to at least B1.

I would tell anyone I expect this peak to be pretty bad. Probably the worst in decades. that's usually only about a week or maybe 1.5 weeks though. There are some locations where rollover will start much earlier than that and probably include working all weekend to get caught up until actual peak hits. Those already have rollover. for most others it will be busy and there will have to be a plan for the RESPONSE markets - do you keep those routes and start them later? do you start them earlier and take everything in morning and roll RESPONSE? do you roll RESPONSE and wave launch the next day with some starting and finishing earlier? Those answers will depend on the market/station planned linehaul and staffing.

I don't think management is being intentionally dishonest here because BNA performance is pretty bad right now and unfortunately catastrophic failure is one of the things that can get things changed. However, there is about 0% chance a $3 pay increase would be perm in Nashville, TN. That ain't gonna happen. They might get a 5% increase and I'd believe they're even trying for 10%. I doubt they would get 10% at once though.

Nolimitz

Competitive pay has nothing to do with COL. It is based on wages from the BLS wage survey.

I think most of us, including management to al least most directors if not RVP, would like to see increased pay. Nashville is getting more expensive, but even that isn't as fast as Boise or Phoenix which are also B0. Phoenix is starting to see some significant wag increases that will hopefully push it to at least B1.
We were told by a VP last week that Boise is not even on the list to be considered for a market adjustment

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
"The senior"? There are several seniors covering those 7 stations and 1 ramp in TN/KY.

All of them would probably welcome it. It would take a move of 2 or 3 market levels to maintain that rate, though.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Biggest problem is late freight by the time it gets there the part time package handlers have to leave to get to their full time jobs so no one is there to unload it.
Biggest problem is that the ramp there is terribly understaffed. There's a major Amazon distribution center across the street and the area been experiencing insane growth over the past decade.

Lates

Biggest problem is that the ramp there is terribly understaffed. There's a major Amazon distribution center across the street and the area been experiencing insane growth over the past
Yep and they are building more Amazon hubs or warehouses out farther from Nashville now.

Maui

We were told by a VP last week that Boise is not even on the list to be considered for a market adjustment
I believe that and it sucks. Wages have not increased there to keep pace with the increased COL. FedEx will not be a leader in moving the needle there. It took forever for DEN to to get a market increase to B1. They would probably get another before BOI gets any increase IMO.