Surge pay

Aquaman

I wouldn't be surprised if the station and ramp senior have sought a market increase. I'm sure it's a top market and they had peak premium pay last year. There's almost no chance it would match $3/hour for everyone though. Even at top pay that would move the market to B2 and only C3 at top out would see $3. The most analogous market, to me, is Atlanta and it's a B1.

Competitive pay has nothing to do with COL. It is based on wages from the BLS wage survey. The most recent data is from May 2020 and starting pay in these markets is close to and often above the median or average pay for the type of work. The biggest delta is for tractor trailer drivers. Even for them top pay is better than median or average pretty much every market. It's just getting to top that's the problem. And there are some companies starting tractor drivers at $27-$32+ in what would be B0 markets and FedEx can't compete there.

I think most of us, including management to al least most directors if not RVP, would like to see increased pay. Nashville is getting more expensive, but even that isn't as fast as Boise or Phoenix which are also B0. Phoenix is starting to see some significant wag increases that will hopefully push it to at least B1.

I would tell anyone I expect this peak to be pretty bad. Probably the worst in decades. that's usually only about a week or maybe 1.5 weeks though. There are some locations where rollover will start much earlier than that and probably include working all weekend to get caught up until actual peak hits. Those already have rollover. for most others it will be busy and there will have to be a plan for the RESPONSE markets - do you keep those routes and start them later? do you start them earlier and take everything in morning and roll RESPONSE? do you roll RESPONSE and wave launch the next day with some starting and finishing earlier? Those answers will depend on the market/station planned linehaul and staffing.

I don't think management is being intentionally dishonest here because BNA performance is pretty bad right now and unfortunately catastrophic failure is one of the things that can get things changed. However, there is about 0% chance a $3 pay increase would be perm in Nashville, TN. That ain't gonna happen. They might get a 5% increase and I'd believe they're even trying for 10%. I doubt they would get 10% at once though.
That’s the pay grave Express has dug itself. They overhauled RTD pay this raise. And I do think they did all they could... but it still wasn’t enough. Not even close. B1 which is the market I’m in, increased starting pay to $23/hr. That’s about $5-$7 off competing CDL jobs in this area. They can’t close the gap. And you create more disdain for the company when the drivers making $25-$26 per hour are 17 year employees. It’s a complete nightmare that they’re going to feel the effects of for the next decade. All the markets are behind. Every city needs a market level increase. All the seniors are begging for it. It will be interesting to see what they do. Let themselves fall further behind and seal the fate of the company? Or cough up UPS type money & progression. We’re gonna see how desperate this company gets, real soon.

Artee

We were told by a VP last week that Boise is not even on the list to be considered for a market adjustment
Thats crazy. I was in Boise over the summer and the price of housing isn't cheap. The newer places that we would want are $700K on up. I would take a pay cut with FDX to move up there and I doubt there are any RT jobs and my wife would easily lose about $60K/year to move to the same job up there and loose out on a lucrative pension she is accruing now. Hate to see what prices will be in 10 years there. Anywhere from ID, NV, UT, AZ, out to the coast, real estate has taken a big jump in the last few years.

yadig

It’s ridiculous in Nashville! The wife and I were thinking about moving out there last year. We were shocked at how expensive housing was. It’s hard to believe that Nashville is a B0 market and Louisville is a B1. That insane

yadig

I also heard the Sr manager is ruthless at the ramp and morale is at all time low in Nashville. Amazon is getting all the handlers and LTL is taking all the RTD’s.

Nolimitz

Thats crazy. I was in Boise over the summer and the price of housing isn't cheap. The newer places that we would want are $700K on up. I would take a pay cut with FDX to move up there and I doubt there are any RT jobs and my wife would easily lose about $60K/year to move to the same job up there and loose out on a lucrative pension she is accruing now. Hate to see what prices will be in 10 years there. Anywhere from ID, NV, UT, AZ, out to the coast, real estate has taken a big jump in the last few years.
I bought my first house here for $45k. Sold a few yrs later for close to 100. Late 90's we moved to where we are now at about 150k, could get close to a million for it now. Seems like a crash has to happen here but who knows?

yadig

I bought my first house here for $45k. Sold a few yrs later for close to 100. Late 90's we moved to where we are now at about 150k, could get close to a million for it now. Seems like a crash has to happen here but who knows?
A lot of people still moving to Nashville. I don’t think it’s gonna change anytime soon.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I also heard the Sr manager is ruthless at the ramp and morale is at all time low in Nashville. Amazon is getting all the handlers and LTL is taking all the RTD’s.
I don't know if it's fair to call her ruthless. The reputation of that ramp is that handlers and RTDs barely do the absolute minimum. Not what you'd expect from a ruthless senior, though I think they've had some ops manager issues. The senior is protected.

Lates

It’s ridiculous in Nashville! The wife and I were thinking about moving out there last year. We were shocked at how expensive housing was. It’s hard to believe that Nashville is a B0 market and Louisville is a B1. That insane
Yes even an hour or so from Nashville home have doubled the last few years. Many of the workers live outside of Nashville.

yadig

I don't know if it's fair to call her ruthless. The reputation of that ramp is that handlers and RTDs barely do the absolute minimum. Not what you'd expect from a ruthless senior, though I think they've had some ops manager issues. The senior is protected.
She’s a narcissist and a lil ruthless. The managers have to do her bidding.