Surpassed $90k

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is one thing to go to a dinner party and brag about how much you make----I agree, that would be tacky.

It is yet another thing to compare with wages with co-workers.

BTW, since you are not an active employee, why is this of any concern to you?

moreluck

golden ticket member
It is one thing to go to a dinner party and brag about how much you make----I agree, that would be tacky.

It is yet another thing to compare with wages with co-workers.

BTW, since you are not an active employee, why is this of any concern to you?
We also get a paycheck with UPS on it.....get over yourself.....as you've said before, you only schlep cardboard.

gohogs3

$91k here,, and he's right I can't replace all the family time I missed this year, But hey my family enjoys spending my money even though I'm not there to spend it with them!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I would like to invite you and Bob to join the rest of us in the year 2013 by introducing you to direct deposit.
We used direct deposit once.......for an out of state rental account. They closed the bank branch in the other city........end of direct deposit !!!

I keep an ATM card they gave me years ago....it's in a drawer somewhere.....never used it. When given they said "free"......I knew better.

Using my cash method, I could laugh at the debit card people caught in that Target thieving scandal.

Don't do online banking or bill paying. I have been writing checks for 46 years and I'm not stopping now.

I won't even consider a cell phone........Leaving home without all this paraphernalia is the reason for leaving home.

If there's an accident 99 99/100 % of the other people have phones and they can call 911.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When I was a kid.....parents and other adults never spoke of what they made...it was considered tacky !!

I'll bet I was 6 when I knew this. What you make a year is your own private business........de'classe'.
It appears that a couple of generations later, it is OK.
I personally think it is OK especially amongst co-workers.
Corporations would rather employees not do this which is as good a reason to do it as any I can think of.
The only better reason is if the US National government did not want us to. :peaceful:

tacken

$91k here,, and he's right I can't replace all the family time I missed this year, But hey my family enjoys spending my money even though I'm not there to spend it with them!
You will never get that family time back.UPS is your family you spend more time with them than your own family. I am sure when something happens UPS will be there to support you. I am speaking about all drivers and the time they spend in the BROWNS!!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I was a kid.....parents and other adults never spoke of what they made...it was considered tacky !!

I'll bet I was 6 when I knew this. What you make a year is your own private business........de'classe'.

I feel like not talking about money is what has lead to many boomers having no retirement and being in debt to their ears.

My kids will know what I make what their mom makes. What bills are. How much we save for retirement ect. It's a life skill being able to handle money. We should all talk freely about it.

brett636

*drools over the enormous salaries* someday I wish I could make that much, but I doubt it as i'm aiming for a non medical career in a zoo, might get to 30-40k someday. I just don't see myself with a career in ups, the job is good and all just not what I enjoy doing most.

And kudos to you for sticking to what you most desire to do than just chasing after a paycheck. A big paycheck doesn't matter if you are miserable the entire time you are earning it. That will just translate into a lower quality of life for yourself and your family not to mention a potentially shorter lifespan as well. Do what you love and you won't work a day in your life.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I feel like not talking about money is what has lead to many boomers having no retirement and being in debt to their ears.

My kids will know what I make what their mom makes. What bills are. How much we save for retirement ect. It's a life skill being able to handle money. We should all talk freely about it.
My kids were all told about saving and working for what you want.
Well into their 40's none of them save. I don't lend either!!!!!!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My kids were all told about saving and working for what you want.
Well into their 40's none of them save. I don't lend either!!!!!!!!
All you can do is give your children the skills they need to succeed. What they do with those skills is ultimately up to them.

I agree I don't loan money. If the bank thinks you're a bad bet you likely are.

AirTractor

3k . . . :laughing2: glad it's just extra winter work and not income I was counting on. Thankful for the work during my off season though. Seasonal driving was interesting to say the least, lot of respect to you full time vet drivers. I did get offered to drive during the summer seasonal and peak for next year.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't see it as tacky talking wages with your fellow co-workers. We all know what we make so we are just comparing the end of year. Sure, I may be a tad jealous of the extra money some make, but in turn they can be jealous of the extra time I got to spend with my family and friends,

On the other hand, I don't talk money with friends. I know where I rank among them and even that doesn't matter. But maybe that's because I'm towards the top half. LOL
One exception was when my wife's best friend mentioned a vacation they went on and when we commented that we would have been interested in going she commented, "I didn't think you would be able to afford it." She later said it was because we had gone to Disney a few months prior but to that I told her, "Never assume. And it would have been nice to at least have the opportunity to say no."

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I barely hit $15,000 this year at UPS. Part-time poverty.... gotta love union solidarity. Sadly I didn't make half that at my other job. There's a bid up with my name on it though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed next year will be much better. A guy can dream can't he?