Switch From FedEx Express to UPS? What would YOU do?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
To NW_Nutmegger:

I see you're 44 with a wife and 3 kids.

Don't do it. If you were 24 and single I'd say go for it. I'd look for another job alright but if you do get out of this stupid business all together where they treat employees as if they were racehorses and have no regard for your life outside of the company while your body takes abuse after abuse day after day. The whole package delivery business is all going to hell as far as I'm concerned, that is unless you're a CEO, upper management, etc.

In the meanwhile, buy a couple of lottery tickets every week and good luck to 'ya.

zeev

Also as you get closer to top out you become a target to be gotten rid of. A new hire in your seat will make $12.00 an hr. less . If they are going to concentrate on ground more resources will be moved there just to keep it functioning.

Indecisi0n

Because FedEx keeps moving the carrot. Some people have been here 20 years and aren’t topped out. Crazy right?
source.gif

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
When I started out at Federal Express, I was topped out in just a couple of years. Federal Express was a really good outfit to work for with excellent pay and great bennies - so good in fact that many of my co-workers were UPS ex-pats - but Federal Express seems to be long gone now, almost like it was just a dream.

I wonder what ever became of them....:confused:

vantexan

When I started out at Federal Express, I was topped out in just a couple of years. Federal Express was a really good outfit to work for with excellent pay and great bennies - so good in fact that many of my co-workers were UPS ex-pats - but Federal Express seems to be long gone now, almost like it was just a dream.

I wonder what ever became of them....:confused:
IMO they did all of that to attract good workers and build their brand. I don't think they ever intended to keep all that going. Either that or they screwed up so badly with ZapMail that they decided to hold back on raises to pay for it and discovered taking from the employees is a great source of profit enhancement.

Bob11B

I would say where I was if I were in your spot...if you were 30 then I would consider it...25 then I would do it immediately. Doesn’t seem worth it at this point. Best of luck to you and sorry your company isn’t union.

chris45

I often think about this as well but then again, express is so easy compared to things like ground usps and ups and it's like do you really wanna be miserable just for the few dollars that youd acquire in like 10 years?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I often think about this as well but then again, express is so easy compared to things like ground usps and ups and it's like do you really wanna be miserable just for the few dollars that youd acquire in like 10 years?
It’s not just about the money though. UPS’ benefits and pension are much better also.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
IMO they did all of that to attract good workers and build their brand. I don't think they ever intended to keep all that going. Either that or they screwed up so badly with ZapMail that they decided to hold back on raises to pay for it and discovered taking from the employees is a great source of profit enhancement.
Yes, that’s not a notion that’s been lost on me, as I’ve had similar thoughts over the years.
I would prefer to give the benefit of the doubt and believe that initial intentions were honorable - it just ended up badly careening off the rails. But maybe I’m being naive here and we were being exploited all along - I really don’t know.

Regardless, it’s turned into a :censored2: show the likes of which I never would’ve dreamed I’d ever see, all those many years ago - when things actually were good.

vantexan

And yet it's almost impossible to get rid of older couriers.
Why do you want to kick experienced older couriers to the curb? Too many new hires don't last while a guy who's put in 20+ years has proven himself. Probably more productive than majority of one year employees.