Switch From FedEx Express to UPS? What would YOU do?

yadadamean116

A little background with a follow up question for you fine folks in brown.

I'm 44 years old, married with 3 kids (16, 14, 12) and have been a full time courier with FedEx Express for 16 years.

I was hired in late 2003 making $14.00 per hour and after our last underwhelming 2% raise in October 2019, I'm now making $26.19 per hour...that's $12.19 per hour increase in 16 years...a whoppin' 76 cents per year.

Here's the thing: I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm still not topped out...and it really, really bothers me.

After the new Express "10 Step Progression Chart" was implemented a few years ago, I'm now currently on the 8th step and won't arrive at the top out mark ($29.00 in our market) until October of 2021...the end of my 18th year.

I say all that to say this: for the past few years I've spoken to many UPS drivers in my area about the pay, pension, benefits and overall culture of UPS and I've contemplated making the move. All of it -- especially the medical benefits -- blow away Express.

I don't pretend to ignore the fact that UPS works a hell of a lot harder than us folks over at Express, due to the simple fact that UPS is Ground and Air combined and your trucks (for the most part) are way more bulked out than ours.

I realize that I would have to begin in the warehouse/hub and become a package handler for awhile before I would get a crack at being a driver.

I also realize that I would have to give up my 4 weeks of vacation, current seniority, comfort of one route, and take a pay cut in the beginning to cross over to brown, but I'm so fed up (no pun intended) with how much of a gap in pay and benefits there is between the two of us.

According to the UPS drivers around my area, they top out at around $40.00 an hour after 4 years. This is extremely tempting.

My question to all of you is this: would YOU make the switch if you were in MY shoes?

Looking forward to reading your comments.
I did it 4 years ago. Best thing I ever did

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
IMO they did all of that to attract good workers and build their brand. I don't think they ever intended to keep all that going. Either that or they screwed up so badly with ZapMail that they decided to hold back on raises to pay for it and discovered taking from the employees is a great source of profit enhancement.
Looking back, I don’t think they had the idea of PSP to last 30 years but I think the big flop called Zap Mail really speeded things up. And when they started taking away from employees, Smith got a taste for blood. So I believe you’re right on both counts.

Serf

I have 10 years at Express and I’m in my late 30’s. I know I wouldn’t switch. As much as it seems like it’s the same industry. And it is to most extent. UPS is different than express. Do you get a lot of OT?

yadadamean116

I have 10 years at Express and I’m in my late 30’s. I know I wouldn’t switch. As much as it seems like it’s the same industry. And it is to most extent. UPS is different than express. Do you get a lot of OT?
In package average 47 hours a week. If you want more there are always people you can help. Feeders well 58 a week but 95% mental

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
to the op, so you're almost at 20 years in with FXE? maybe switch it up to grab a CDL~A like @yadadamean116 at their expense, then go Feeders at any company since most don't want to drive big rigs lately

Nolimitz

We have folks trying to go RTD. Originally it was for full blown CDL A, have been "down graded" to CDL B (box truck only non trailer) this has been going on for almost a year and they still are not licensed. Not as easy as it may seem at some locations.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
We have folks trying to go RTD. Originally it was for full blown CDL A, have been "down graded" to CDL B (box truck only non trailer) this has been going on for almost a year and they still are not licensed. Not as easy as it may seem at some locations.
Yeah but you can drive garbage truck with cdl b
  • Competitive Pay (based on experience)
  • $2,500 sign-on bonus
  • Be home every night and weekend
  • Stability
  • Industry-leading health insurance
  • Yearly boot allowance, uniforms, safety vests and protective eye wear
  • Paid vacation after 90 days
  • Two weeks of off-site professional training
  • 401(K) + company match
  • Employee Stock Purchase Program
  • Employee Discount programs

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Why do you want to kick experienced older couriers to the curb? Too many new hires don't last while a guy who's put in 20+ years has proven himself. Probably more productive than majority of one year employees.

I don't. But try getting rid of one who needs to go.

FedUpBrown

My base yearly salary is $55k a year ($26.19 per hour on a 40 hour week).

I try and sign up all the time to work my day off (Friday) and usually will get around $12k-$15k of overtime per year.

Serf

My base yearly salary is $55k a year ($26.19 per hour on a 40 hour week).

I try and sign up all the time to work my day off (Friday) and usually will get around $12k-$15k of overtime per year.
Good luck. That sounds about on par with what a lot of FT day couriers do. I tend to subscribe to the “Devil you know” saying.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would stay where you are and buy a motorcycle. UPS appears to be quite friend'ed up now days. I think it had something to do with them losing me years ago. The place went to hell.