Switch it up?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Recently I came into an opportunity to join the steam and pipe fitters union to begin an apprenticeship in HVAC. I’m a little hesitant because I don’t like change and UPS has been good to me. Although, I’d like to learn a skilled trade. It’s a 5 year program to make journeyman. Can anybody give me a reason not to?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Recently I came into an opportunity to join the steam and pipe fitters union to begin an apprenticeship in HVAC. I’m a little hesitant because I don’t like change and UPS has been good to me. Although, I’d like to learn a skilled trade. It’s a 5 year program to make journeyman. Can anybody give me a reason not to?

Do you dislike working at UPS?
If you find yourself dreading going in and the horrible days outnumbering the good. Do it

MrBrown

I use to be in the carpenters union and experienced a lot of layoffs and time on the bench. One of the perks at ups is youre a “company guy”. Im guaranteed work, you wont have that in the trades

CalDrvr06

Electrician, carpenters union, laborer union all experience times of layoffs. Heavy machine operators and maintenance union works are the only guys I see consistently working. IMO

CalDrvr06

Its feast or famine really. I come from a family of union works (all job sets) and trucking is the most consistent day in and day out. And u work for the best. Compensation wise, u dnt like 40$ full benefits,weekends off and 95k a yr? Unless you like periods of layoff if u can afford it financially.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
The cost of living is rather high in your area. Can you support yourself/family while earning low wages your first five years?
I’ve always found a way to make it work. This contract we have now will take 5 years to hit over 40 bucks/hr. 5 year HVAC program will give a $59-69/hr.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Electrician, carpenters union, laborer union all experience times of layoffs. Heavy machine operators and maintenance union works are the only guys I see consistently working. IMO
Well the Bay Area is under staffed to say the least in all the trades. It’s a risk I get it. But transferring to where I actually want to live is gonna be a 10+ year wait. I can take HVAC anywhere I want theoretically

Rack em

Made the Podium
I’ve always found a way to make it work. This contract we have now will take 5 years to hit over 40 bucks/hr. 5 year HVAC program will give a $59-69/hr.

Well the Bay Area is under staffed to say the least in all the trades. It’s a risk I get it. But transferring to where I actually want to live is gonna be a 10+ year wait. I can take HVAC anywhere I want theoretically
It sounds like you've already made up your mind and you are just waiting for random people on the internet to agree with your decision to make yourself feel better?

This is your decision that effects your life so you should be making it yourself and not depending on random people from the internet to make it for you. Just my 2 cents.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
It sounds like you've already made up your mind and you are just waiting for random people on the internet to agree with your decision to make yourself feel better?

This is your decision that effects your life so you should be making it yourself and not depending on random people from the internet to make it for you. Just my 2 cents.
Hey man, I’m really just trying to bring something new to talk about on this forum. I’m so sorry to waste your precious internet time everyone.

A little advice from others who actually have info on the matter is not nothing. So what’s the problem?

ManInBrown

Stay at UPS and go feeders. Instead of 38 an hour to kill yourself and cripple your body, it’ll be 40 an hour to drive around and do nothing, and never touch cardboard ever again.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
A little advice from others who actually have info on the matter is not nothing. So what’s the problem?

Being in your area, and possibly in your same division, or even district, I’d recommend staying and getting into Feeder. As the below post mentions.

Stay at UPS and go feeders. Instead of 38 an hour to kill yourself and cripple your body, it’ll be 40 an hour to drive around and do nothing, and never touch cardboard ever again.

There are a lot of changes coming up in our area. With the closure of Bruno, and the additional feeder jobs that have been announced, you could probably get a decent feeder run in no time!

Last edited:

sandwich

The resident gearhead
All of you who work yourselves into becoming a cripple are doing it wrong. Just gotta work smooth and safe. Let the kids who dont know how to read work themselves into the ground.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
By the time your apprenticeship is over you’ll be making double the hourly wage of a driver. You don’t have to wait for a transfer you can go wherever work is available. Lots of friends in different trades and they move all over whenever they want but unlike UPS your wage won’t stay the same if you go somewhere else. I think the retirement age is a lot higher than UPS. I’d make the move if I were you.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hey man, I’m really just trying to bring something new to talk about on this forum. I’m so sorry to waste your precious internet time everyone.

You have kids? You like holidays and not working like an idiot til late every night? Make the switch, especially if your 30 or younger.

Brisket

By the time your apprenticeship is over you’ll be making double the hourly wage of a driver. You don’t have to wait for a transfer you can go wherever work is available. Lots of friends in different trades and they move all over whenever they want but unlike UPS your wage won’t stay the same if you go somewhere else. I think the retirement age is a lot higher than UPS. I’d make the move if I were you.

What he said, and

Roll damn Tide!