T-S but on call for Mondays?

I'm a 224 who hasn't worked a day in the warehouse and I'm on Tuesday-Saturday schedule. When peak first started, they told us they'd be calling us on our Mondays and asking if we can work. I'd say no and they said that's fine and all but if everyone else called with higher seniority said no then they'd force me in. Which is what happened. Eventually, they changed it to telling me I had to call in myself every Monday morning at 7:30 to see if I would be working when start time is 8:45. I have not had a Monday off since peak started, as I've been told to work each time and I've not been given other days off to compensate so I've been working 6 days a week for months now, all 11+ hour days. They fired all our seasonals at beginning of January and we've all been paying for that with insane volume and no help. They do pay me OT each Monday but I NEED a day off more than the money for my own sanity. On top of it all, my wife's pregnant with our first child and makes all her doctor's appointments on Mondays, hoping I'll be able to attend (idk maybe because that's supposed to be my day off!!) and I obviously haven't been able to.

I've tried reading through the union handbook and can't find anything about this. I've also looked at similar threads but none in my situation. Most I've read, they're given another day off to compensate and that isn't happening for me.

Even if they're taking me for a ride and I stop calling in/picking up their calls, my managers are awful and I know they'll make my life hell for not doing what they want.

So a couple questions:
-can they really force me to be on call for Monday's and work a 6 day work week every week?
-even if I do call in, is it really valid for them to give me a start time with an hours notice?
-if they're taking advantage of me, how do I stop it without them making my life a living hell?

Not sure what to do about all this.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
I'm a 224 who hasn't worked a day in the warehouse and I'm on Tuesday-Saturday schedule. When peak first started, they told us they'd be calling us on our Mondays and asking if we can work. I'd say no and they said that's fine and all but if everyone else called with higher seniority said no then they'd force me in. Which is what happened. Eventually, they changed it to telling me I had to call in myself every Monday morning at 7:30 to see if I would be working when start time is 8:45. I have not had a Monday off since peak started, as I've been told to work each time and I've not been given other days off to compensate so I've been working 6 days a week for months now, all 11+ hour days. They fired all our seasonals at beginning of January and we've all been paying for that with insane volume and no help. They do pay me OT each Monday but I NEED a day off more than the money for my own sanity. On top of it all, my wife's pregnant with our first child and makes all her doctor's appointments on Mondays, hoping I'll be able to attend (idk maybe because that's supposed to be my day off!!) and I obviously haven't been able to.

I've tried reading through the union handbook and can't find anything about this. I've also looked at similar threads but none in my situation. Most I've read, they're given another day off to compensate and that isn't happening for me.

Even if they're taking me for a ride and I stop calling in/picking up their calls, my managers are awful and I know they'll make my life hell for not doing what they want.

So a couple questions:
-can they really force me to be on call for Monday's and work a 6 day work week every week?
-even if I do call in, is it really valid for them to give me a start time with an hours notice?
-if they're taking advantage of me, how do I stop it without them making my life a living hell?

Dont answer your phone.

So a couple questions:

Your management team is following the contract. Ask from the top and force from the bottom. Call in if you want the day off. What is worse that they can do to you?

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
FMLA dude. Play their game and keep working your life away for a while....gonna be a rough couple of years for you. But if you want to take your wife to her dr appointments then get on FMLA. And this will allow you to get some time with your family when your kid is born.

542thruNthru

So a couple questions:

Without knowing what supplmental contract you're under we can't fully answer you questions.

Most areas the company can not put you "on call" but if they are following seniority and forcing you in then they are following the contract.

Have you spoken with your steward or called your local to speak with your BA?

FMLA dude. Play their game and keep working your life away for a while....gonna be a rough couple of years for you. But if you want to take your wife to her dr appointments then get on FMLA. And this will allow you to get some time with your family when your kid is born.
Not been with the company for a year so sadly don't qualify. They told me they'll give me a week off unpaid when the baby comes in June.

Without knowing what supplmental contract you're under we can't fully answer you questions.

Most areas the company can not put you "on call" but if they are following seniority and forcing you in then they are following the contract.

Have you spoken with your steward or called your local to speak with your BA?
I've not yet. I've kind of just been waiting for peak to die off and hoping I'd get my monday's back but that's not looking like anytime soon. Thought I'd be in the warehouse by now

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Such as???

Have you ever read the contract ?

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provided by the FMLA."

Dude....

Working the "customer counter" @ Local 89.... has fried your brain.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I haven't been with the company for a year yet so I don't qualify
That sucks. I’ll tell you this; my first 6 months or so as Tues-Sat RPCD I was called every single Monday, to come in early for preload then take a split out....or sometimes to cover a difficult garbage route that they needed to cover. I did it for months.
Now, I put my phone into airplane mode on Monday mornings. They have never said a word to me about not answering my phone. If you get forced in on your day off, they have to post it or verbally notify you that YOU ARE WORKING on your scheduled day off 24 hours in advance. I am pretty sure that they can’t tell you to be “on call.” We are not on call employees and there’s nothing in the contract that says they can put us on call.
Find your steward, hopefully he’s a good one