Tattoos?

UPSF Peeon

our assistant terminal manager is tatted up all up and down his forarms

i have alot of tattoos, its technically against company policy but so is shaving drivers clock out times but they still do it every day

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I always wondered if you got a UPS shield tattoo and made it visible, would they really have the galls to say that it could be offensive to the public and needs to be covered up? In which case I'd be wearing comfy jeans and a t-shirt to work until all the shields were taken off the browns ;) On the other hands, knowing UPS, they'd likely just sue me :(
If you got the shield tats on your ankles, you wouldn't ever have to buy UPS socks!:happy2:

T Princess Local 866

I am an insider with 45 Tat's and counting. I love each of my tat's, they all have a meaning. I am in my mid 50's and female. My son is a driver with Tat's. They ordered him to wear long pants with his long sleeve shirt. He has no tat's on his legs at all. The tat's on his arms came before he was a driver. He never got another tat since he became a driver 4 years ago. So yes they are VERY hard on drivers with tat's. Safety sit in a truck at 120 degrees or more with long winter sleeves and long winter pants. NOT safe at all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am an insider with 45 Tat's and counting. I love each of my tat's, they all have a meaning. I am in my mid 50's and female. My son is a driver with Tat's. They ordered him to wear long pants with his long sleeve shirt. He has no tat's on his legs at all. The tat's on his arms came before he was a driver. He never got another tat since he became a driver 4 years ago. So yes they are VERY hard on drivers with tat's. Safety sit in a truck at 120 degrees or more with long winter sleeves and long winter pants. NOT safe at all.

One of my center manager's favorite words is "perception". There is a perception about an individual with visible tattoos and, unfortunately, it is not one UPS wants to project through its front line employees. As you can guess I agree with the no visible tattoo policy.

over9five

Staff member
One of my center manager's favorite words is "perception". There is a perception about an individual with visible tattoos and, unfortunately, it is not one UPS wants to project through its front line employees. As you can guess I agree with the no visible tattoo policy.

I agree that I wouldn't want my frontline employees having visible tats.
BUT, I'm not sure if I agree with making an employee who was hired before the policy wear long pants in the middle of summer.
The tattoo policy HERE, tho posted on the appearance guideline poster, is NOT enforced.

We have [-]idiots[/-] drivers here who wear shorts in the dead of winter. I think that goes along with "perception". It looks wholly unprofessional, and our frontline people shouldn't be allowed to do that either.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
One of the major items that helps UPS maintain their advantage over FedEx is the professional appearance of their drivers. I've never seen a package car driver with visible tattoos, and while most customers could care less, there are lots of people who think tattoos convey a message on unprofessionalism.

We're supposed to have a "visible tattoo" policy, but it isn't enforced, and we have plenty of drivers (and managers) exhibiting large pieces of body art. At Ground, I think you have to have tattoos just to apply. Piercings and studs are also OK over there.

I think UPS is smart to try and maintain professional appearance standards. It makes drivers look like they mean business, and take their jobs seriously.

natatex1

nateraxe
i started off 2 yrs ago as seasonal work. i have 1 visible sleeve, fingers, elbow, and both legs from the ankle up to my knee. i went to supervisor about 7-8 months later, and now ill be going to driver school soon. i am going to be required to wear pants and long sleeve shirts. some people have been grandfathered in with them, but it is no longer acceptable. it will really suck, especially in the mid summer months but like you said rules are rules. hope this helps answer your question

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I believe the rules require that pants be worn with long sleeve shirts, as impractical as it may sound in summertime.
BUT, I'm not sure if I agree with making an employee who was hired before the policy wear long pants in the middle of summer.
The tattoo policy HERE, tho posted on the appearance guideline poster, is NOT enforced.

We have [-]idiots[/-] drivers here who wear shorts in the dead of winter. I think that goes along with "perception". It looks wholly unprofessional, and our frontline people shouldn't be allowed to do that either.
LOL, Holy flying off the handle, Batman! I think that some people aren't as cold as you are, 9/5. This sounds more like a comfort issue, than a rule that should be enforced. Though we don't really have "Winter" here in South Florida, it does go into the 20's/30's at times. This Winter we saw colder temps for longer periods of time, but I wore shorts throughout. I wouldn't like to be forced to wear pants at any time. BTW, I have no tats to cover, and agree with the professionalism aspect of the UPS policy on tats.

over9five

Staff member
LOL, Holy flying off the handle, Batman! I think that some people aren't as cold as you are, 9/5. This sounds more like a comfort issue, than a rule that should be enforced. Though we don't really have "Winter" here in South Florida, it does go into the 20's/30's at times. This Winter we saw colder temps for longer periods of time, but I wore shorts throughout. I wouldn't like to be forced to wear pants at any time. BTW, I have no tats to cover, and agree with the professionalism aspect of the UPS policy on tats.

I wasn't talking about Floridas winter (get the sweater out!). I'm talking about drivers wearing their shorts in snowstorms, or when it's 5 degrees with a 30 mph wind. To the customers and the general public they look moronic. I don't know how many times I've been asked, "Why is that idiot UPS guy across town wearing shorts?" I always say, "You answered your own question".

Anyhow MHO, it's unprofessional at least as much as tats.

NHDRVR

We have a guy, every center seems to, that I have never seen in long pants. The safety committee has even addressed this with him for obvious reasons. He has been driving for about 7 years, I think, and we joke that he must not get any attention at home....

BUT....

The guy on local sort who handles the line-up on his belt says his heater, regardless of what vehicle he drives, has the vents aimed at the drivers seat and the fan is on high. Now come on, you can't be dealing with the cold that well if this happens to be the case. He has been complaining about his knees the past couple of years and we make mention of the fact that the winter cold probably isn't very good for him but he just laughs it off.

I hope he likes the attention...

rocket man

our company looks so clean cut from out side. ITS so far from it. you will be ok . Just dont expect much on getting hired at this time goood luck.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
The UPS driver that I see has a tattoo on his forearm. I know it's there, but I never stare at it. He's so cool and friendly, none of that matters. He's always very professional and cordial.

UPSF Peeon

the ups driver that i see has a tattoo on his forearm. I know it's there, but i never stare at it. He's so cool and friendly, none of that matters. He's always very professional and cordial.

do not let this man on or near your property

people with tattoos are bad people, they have bad intentions and are lowlife scum

IMO, I see these NBA players who think they are so cool with tatoos and think to myself, If I want to read the comics I'll buy a comic book or newspaper. I not interested in reading them on someones body.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Could Mike Tyson get hired if he wore a ski mask? How about a person with a red dot on their forehead? Can I get a tattoo on my tongue if I promise to keep my mouth shut?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Could Mike Tyson get hired if he wore a ski mask? How about a person with a red dot on their forehead? Can I get a tattoo on my tongue if I promise to keep my mouth shut?
What are you, a comedian???

539w.jpg