Tattoos?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
So what's wrong with this??

Hi Mrs. Smith... I'm with UPS....

I think the hair meets the guidelines:happy-very::happy-very:

The ears may exceed the UFC guidelines though..

T Princess Local 866

IMO, I see these NBA players who think they are so cool with tatoos and think to myself, If I want to read the comics I'll buy a comic book or newspaper. I not interested in reading them on someones body.

First off my tattoo's are not the comics. They are a history of my life things that happened and the rememberance of loved one's that have passed. Most people get tattoo's for themselves not for the world to "read." I am in my mid 50's female and have tat's all over my body. if people want to ask about them I take great pride in telling them the story behind each one of my 45 tats. Maybe you think the autisum one is comic yes let's laugh at that one. It brings information to people who ask about it. It also makes my son smile when I tell him it's for him. Wait maybe the crosses or the picture of Mary that's comic showing my religion. Before you put everyone in the same box and make them sound like they are freaks please think about why some people get tattoo's. I have memories on my skin get over it. I do not ask a single person to get a tattoo, but if you want to get one I can take you to a clean Ink spot. My husband does not have one tattoo to my 45. All my tat's are for me if the public likes or hates them it's no never mind to me. In the words of Brian Stetzer (stay cats) "NEVER get a tattoo where a judge can see em." Each one can be covered up If i wish. Now back to UPS forcing people to wear Long pants and long shirts it's 2010 time to change the dress code. I could see if you have a vulgar tattoo make them cover it up. Crosses religious symbols nice flowers they should not be covered up. It's not safe to be in the middle of 100F weather outside and hotter inside a truck to make them wear long sleeves and long pants. We scream safety every day. What are we going to do wait till a driver passes out and kills himself and some innocent person he careens in to? I am sure we have to wait for that to happen about 10 times before something is done. Ok my rant is done.

First off my tattoo's are not the comics. They are a history of my life things that happened and the rememberance of loved one's that have passed. Most people get tattoo's for themselves not for the world to "read." I am in my mid 50's female and have tat's all over my body. if people want to ask about them I take great pride in telling them the story behind each one of my 45 tats. Maybe you think the autisum one is comic yes let's laugh at that one. It brings information to people who ask about it. It also makes my son smile when I tell him it's for him. Wait maybe the crosses or the picture of Mary that's comic showing my religion. Before you put everyone in the same box and make them sound like they are freaks please think about why some people get tattoo's. I have memories on my skin get over it. I do not ask a single person to get a tattoo, but if you want to get one I can take you to a clean Ink spot. My husband does not have one tattoo to my 45. All my tat's are for me if the public likes or hates them it's no never mind to me. In the words of Brian Stetzer (stay cats) "NEVER get a tattoo where a judge can see em." Each one can be covered up If i wish. Now back to UPS forcing people to wear Long pants and long shirts it's 2010 time to change the dress code. I could see if you have a vulgar tattoo make them cover it up. Crosses religious symbols nice flowers they should not be covered up. It's not safe to be in the middle of 100F weather outside and hotter inside a truck to make them wear long sleeves and long pants. We scream safety every day. What are we going to do wait till a driver passes out and kills himself and some innocent person he careens in to? I am sure we have to wait for that to happen about 10 times before something is done. Ok my rant is done.

Two things..First There was a time at UPS (not too long ago) when shorts were not part of the uniform options and 2010 has nothing to do with it. After reading your rant I'm glad UPS has a dress code. Second, memories of your life can be had in other ways as in your mind or, did you lose your camera maybe your bible also. What is beautiful about being a walking scrapbook? Since you mentioned 2010...maybe it's time to leave the '60's and '70's!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So instead of remebering these things with pictures and stuff, you feel the need to paint all over your body. You also say it's none of our business what you do to your body. So did you do this to yourself for the confrontation factor? I just don't get why you would take something that is perfectly good, as is, and change it.

The fact that it is 2010 is meaningless--visible tattoos on a UPS driver are unprofessional in my opinion.
+1

Two things..First There was a time at UPS (not too long ago) when shorts were not part of the uniform options and 2010 has nothing to do with it. After reading your rant I'm glad UPS has a dress code. Second, memories of your life can be had in other ways as in your mind or, did you lose your camera maybe your bible also. What is beautiful about being a walking scrapbook? Since you mentioned 2010...maybe it's time to leave the '60's and '70's!
+2010

T Princess Local 866

I did what I wanted to do to my body. it's just that MY body. If people don't like it I really don't care. If i was in the 60's and 70's I would not be showing my tattoo's as a lady. I am standing up for my self and what I believe in for MYSELF. Again I do not ask any one of you to get a tattoo. If Not having a tattoo does not bother me why does it bother you that people have them. As for my camera what a silly thought. I as an American citizen can put tattoo's on my body if I want to. If that's how I choose to show my memories that's how I choose to do it. I don't get why you are all getting your knickers in a knot about it. Pray tell what does the Bible have to do with Tattoo's? Are you judging me? Maybe you should pick up your bible and read where Jesus himself on the mound told us not to judge lest ye be judged. Let he who hath no sin cast the first stone. First take the speck out of your own eye before you take it out of your brothers eye. I still feel for Safety a driver should be able to wear shorts if he has no tattoo's on his legs. I have no problems with him covering up his arms but his legs because his arms have tat's that's what my rant is about. Even if the shorts were not part of the uniform a few years ago they are now. Like you all want to tell me let's live in the now. It's unsafe to wear long pants and long sleeves in very hot and humid weather. simple!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree that I wouldn't want my frontline employees having visible tats.
BUT, I'm not sure if I agree with making an employee who was hired before the policy wear long pants in the middle of summer.
The tattoo policy HERE, tho posted on the appearance guideline poster, is NOT enforced.

Up until 2004, the policy book that prospective drivers were given made no mention of visible tats. We have several old-timers who were hired with visible tats and when the company tried to make them cover them up a grievance was filed and we won. If you were hired with a visible tat prior to '04 you are "grandfathered in" and dont have to cover it. Anyone after that has to cover it. It seems fair to me, as long as you know before being hired what the rules are, you have the freedom to choose accordingly. I do agree that an excessive number of tats doesnt look very professional, but personal views on that subject vary widely. I have one tat, but I chose to put it where its hidden under my shirtsleeve.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have [-]idiots[/-] drivers here who wear shorts in the dead of winter. I think that goes along with "perception". It looks wholly unprofessional, and our frontline people shouldn't be allowed to do that either.

I do not own a pair of brown pants that fit, and I have worn shorts every day for the last several years...even in the dead of winter. And I am not alone. I would say that at least 1/3 of the people in my building wear shorts year around. Granted, we dont get the severe winters that you guys in New England have, but it does snow here and it will get down into the low 20's or teens from time to time. It might look unprofessional to you, but here in Oregon its actually fairly common.

I will admit that I wished for a pair of pants last December 29th when we got 6" of snow and I had to put tire chains on in my shorts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is unsafe to wear long pants and long sleeves in very hot and humid weather; however, your son made a personal choice which conflicts with the UPS appearance guidelines.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I did what I wanted to do to my body. it's just that MY body. If people don't like it I really don't care. If i was in the 60's and 70's I would not be showing my tattoo's as a lady. I am standing up for my self and what I believe in for MYSELF. Again I do not ask any one of you to get a tattoo. If Not having a tattoo does not bother me why does it bother you that people have them. As for my camera what a silly thought. I as an American citizen can put tattoo's on my body if I want to. If that's how I choose to show my memories that's how I choose to do it. I don't get why you are all getting your knickers in a knot about it. Pray tell what does the Bible have to do with Tattoo's? Are you judging me? Maybe you should pick up your bible and read where Jesus himself on the mound told us not to judge lest ye be judged. Let he who hath no sin cast the first stone. First take the speck out of your own eye before you take it out of your brothers eye. I still feel for Safety a driver should be able to wear shorts if he has no tattoo's on his legs. I have no problems with him covering up his arms but his legs because his arms have tat's that's what my rant is about. Even if the shorts were not part of the uniform a few years ago they are now. Like you all want to tell me let's live in the now. It's unsafe to wear long pants and long sleeves in very hot and humid weather. simple!
My Knickers aren't really in a knot, I just don't get why tats are so appealing to people. As far as Jesus and casting the first stone, I agree, but, I think that though He would accept you for who you are (post tats), I believe he would have tried to disuade you from getting them, had you met before you got the ink, besides, the bible also says not to make markings upon ones self, and also calls the body the Temple of the Holy Spirit. I don't want to put Graffiti, no matter how appealing, onto my skin.

I'm not trying to argue with you or win you over. I'm just giving you my counterpoint to your post. In no way would I treat you as less of a human being, just as I'm sure you wouldn't treat me as less, because I don't have tats or disagree with you.

I almost forgot to add that many lawn maintenance workers here in South Florida wear long sleeves and long pants while out in the blazing sun doing their jobs. I don't know if it's to protect from the harm of the Sun, whether the sweat on the clothing keeps em cooler, the clothing keeps em from bug bites or whatever, I just know they do and live to work another day.

T Princess Local 866

They wear long cloths for protection. From Poison Ivy, bug and alike. I am not here to argue with people, I am here to read and learn. I still do not think that it is a Safe work method for drivers to wear long sleeves and pants in the hot NJ Summer. I no longer believe in a higher being. I just believe in myself and what I do.

T Princess Local 866

My son has tat's on his arms for years he work long sleeves, and short pants. Now some new boss comes in and want's him to wear long pants. They have a young woman driver who has them on her legs she wears long pants short sleeve. Last year she was found on the lawn of a customer passed out with heat stroke. I am talking SAFETY here not appearance. If they care about appearance so much why give out such worn and torn uniform? Miss matched browns (lighter darker) holes in them when they are givien out. That to me is more of an appearance. This problem has been addressed by Local 177 with UPS Last week. I am happy with what had happened. Yeah 177, You have to remember we are not consistent with our appearance guidelines. We go around Screaming safety but why not practice it? All they care about is the Methods and can they be remembered by all.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My son has tat's on his arms for years he work long sleeves, and short pants. Now some new boss comes in and want's him to wear long pants. They have a young woman driver who has them on her legs she wears long pants short sleeve. Last year she was found on the lawn of a customer passed out with heat stroke. I am talking SAFETY here not appearance. If they care about appearance so much why give out such worn and torn uniform? Miss matched browns (lighter darker) holes in them when they are givien out. That to me is more of an appearance. This problem has been addressed by Local 177 with UPS Last week. I am happy with what had happened. Yeah 177, You have to remember we are not consistent with our appearance guidelines. We go around Screaming safety but why not practice it? All they care about is the Methods and can they be remembered by all.
I would ask the Steward to look into this case. If your son wore shorts before and a long sleeve shirt, I would think that since it was already allowed, they couldn't just come and change it because someone new took over.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i have a full sleeve,, had it for about 11 yrs now, when this became flavor of the month i never covered it,, about 5 months ago my center manager took pictures to document it and thats that,, i dont cover it.. on the opinion note,, i think all fat and ugly people should not be allowed in public in a ups uniform,, we have several in our center that are disgusting and embarrassing.. oh,,also anyone balding offends me,,and if you teeth are in bad shape you disgust me and the public ,,but hey, thats just my opinion and nobody really cares about anyone else's opinion now do they?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i have a full sleeve,, had it for about 11 yrs now, when this became flavor of the month i never covered it,, about 5 months ago my center manager took pictures to document it and thats that,, i dont cover it.. on the opinion note,, i think all fat and ugly people should not be allowed in public in a ups uniform,, we have several in our center that are disgusting and embarrassing.. oh,,also anyone balding offends me,,and if you teeth are in bad shape you disgust me and the public ,,but hey, thats just my opinion and nobody really cares about anyone else's opinion now do they?
Just curious hf, why?

If you don't believe in a higher being, why did you quote from the Bible to support your opinion? You can't have it both ways.
Very true, grunt.