tax quest about per diem for feeder driver

R

renoroaddog

I'm a feeder driver in reno that works under the d.o.t hrs of service regulations. some of my co workers say that we qualify for the per diem tax deduction and some say no.

same goes with a couple tax people i spoke with. some say yes since we are under dot and some say no cause we are not gone overnight. ( i am not a layover driver)

I have already searched 3 books and irs.gov website and can not find a definitive answer to this question.

I'd hate to take an almost $8000 ded ( 200 X $52 X .75 ) and get audited and have it disallowed and face penalties and interest.

any ideas, input, suggestions would be appreciated.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm a feeder driver in reno that works under the d.o.t hrs of service regulations. some of my co workers say that we qualify for the per diem tax deduction and some say no.

same goes with a couple tax people i spoke with. some say yes since we are under dot and some say no cause we are not gone overnight. ( i am not a layover driver)

I have already searched 3 books and irs.gov website and can not find a definitive answer to this question.

I'd hate to take an almost $8000 ded ( 200 X $52 X .75 ) and get audited and have it disallowed and face penalties and interest.

any ideas, input, suggestions would be appreciated.
There is no definitive answer. It is exactly as you say. Half the CPA's say we can take it, half say we cannot.

barnyard

KTM rider
If I were a team driver, I would do the per diem. I am not, so I will not.

I believe that the per diem deduction is for expenses for drivers that live out of their truck. Coming home every night pretty much eliminates that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Personal meals are no longer allowed as a business expense unless you spend the night away from home and then at only 50% ... I don't know if that applies to your situation.