Tax Reform

Catatonic

Nine Lives
With Obamacare Replacement on the back burner, looks like Tax Reform is next.
Will this be easier?
Is this Ryan's plan or Trump's plan?

BrownArmy

Not trying to be a contrarian, but if it goes anything like the AHA 'roll out', it will be DOA.

Is this the appropriate thread to discuss the inevitability that any type of tax reform (like the AHA 'reform' of Obamacare) will absolutely screw most of the people that voted for Trump?

Allegedly.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not trying to be a contrarian, but if it goes anything like the AHA 'roll out', it will be DOA.

Is this the appropriate thread to discuss the inevitability that any type of tax reform (like the AHA 'reform' of Obamacare) will absolutely screw most of the people that voted for Trump?

Allegedly.
As good a place as any ... go for it.

BrownArmy

My impression of 'tax-reform', as far Republicans are concerned, means cutting taxes on the richest segment of society and pretending that there will be a concurrent 'boost' in the economy...rising tides, etc.

Has that ever worked?

In reality, it's just a shift in the tax burden - by chance or design, cutting taxes on the rich really doesn't stimulate anything, except the size of yachts for those who win.

Who loses?

It seems to me there's a fantasy among the Republicans that somehow there is an unwashed horde of 'takers', and if we just stopped taxing people, then...

I can't complete the sentence, because it's not clear to me how lower taxes for rich people equates to anything more than rich people keeping more of their money.

Someone school me, clearly I'm confused.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you cut taxes for everyone then the people who are paying more will get a bigger cut. If you are paying little to none then of course you won't see much of a reduction.

It will be fine

Cheers, thanks for your cogent post.

You really cleared up all of the questions I had.
The longest running experiment is currently going on in Kansas. They slashed taxes, created a massive deficit, started defunding schools to compensate and have had a slower economic recovery compared to the rest of the nation.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Has that ever worked?

That's not a rhetorical question, and I'm not trying to be snarky, but is there any evidence at all that that's a good strategy?

i dunno, did the Pharaoh's wealth ever trickle down to the slaves?

seriously though, it's never worked or been shown to work; we've been living reagonomics for the last 30 years and the only thing it accomplished was the dismantling of the middle class

BrownArmy

It is basically a consumption tax.

You receive your gross pay (no taxes withheld) and your purchases have a 23% sales tax added on.

OK, that seems like an added tax on people who aren't all that rich.

Are you a proponent of this 'fair tax'?

Explain it to me in a different way so it doesn't seem like it's another mechanism to funnel money from poor people to rich people...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
OK, that seems like an added tax on people who aren't all that rich.

Are you a proponent of this 'fair tax'?

Explain it to me in a different way so it doesn't seem like it's another mechanism to funnel money from poor people to rich people...
There is a tax credit for all to replace taxes exacted from the "less fortunate" wage range.