TDU and public opinion of unionism.

Inthegame

But TDU is all over the UPS contract because that's where the numbers are and that's how they plan to run against Hall in the next Executive Board election.
But what stategy can they possibly employ to stop the "Piedmont for GP 2016" campaign? They'll never know what hit them when we get going.

purplesky

Uhh... only 5-6% of all workers earn more than $100,000.*

*I'm referring to SINGLE-EMPLOYER wages. Not household income (e.g. what you & your wife earned + interests & investments).

Thats the whole point unions should make. Look at CEO pay? Wages for American workers have been flat and held down for how many decades? 100k isnt even close to the top of middleclass.

The middleclass is getting destroyed by Republicans and Fox news. Who is standing up for the middleclass? Nobody.

The real issue is why arent middleclass American workers moving forward wage wise like the top earners? Unions should tell the story.

hyena

The problem is no one cares about the middle class. Those who have it are comfortable and vote for their own securities, leaving those who strive for it helpless.

purplesky

The problem is no one cares about the middle class. Those who have it are comfortable and vote for their own securities, leaving those who strive for it helpless.

The middle class cares about the middle class? I would think the lower class cares because they are trying to become a part of the middle class?

The shrinking middle class will elect the next president? Somebody must care.

You know me...
The only time that the Labor Movement is useful to Democrats is when there is a Republican President. We have no political allies in the fight. All we have is our brotherhood, our Unity and our ability to elect officials that will run an honest local, and do everything in their power to strengthen and grow our unions from the grassroots local level on up. Every Democrat in the world turns to teamster locals for endorsements when it's election time, and time and time again, Teamster locals endorse without question. It's time we make them work for the endorsement. It's time we ask "What's in it for us"? It's not too late. Even business insider admits that we need Labor unions now more than ever. We just need competent leaders that actually have the ability to LEAD.

We May Need Labor Unions After All - Business Insider

brostalss

Unions formed a long long time ago when there where no safety or employee standards. People sometimes had to work 12 hours with no breaks. Employees would get docked a whole days pay just for talking back to their supervisors. Poor and unsafe working environments. Unions were created to let the rank and file be as one. Today many state and federal laws are in place today that mandate those standards. Unions are a necessary evil. Good and bad with or without unions in the workplace.

Overpaid Union Thug

Democrats AND The Teamsters blindly supported ObamaCare. A "tax" that is already skyrocketing insurance premiums and they will only get higher as its fully implemented. It will also kill thousands of jobs and reduce many full-time jobs to part-time. Knowing these facts.....one could only scratch their head when a leftist attempts to charge republicans with wanting to short change the American worker. So, who are democrats looking out for again????

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Democrats AND The Teamsters blindly supported ObamaCare. A "tax" that is already skyrocketing insurance premiums and they will only get higher as its fully implemented. It will also kill thousands of jobs and reduce many full-time jobs to part-time. Knowing these facts.....one could only scratch their head when a leftist attempts to charge republicans with wanting to short change the American worker. So, who are democrats looking out for again????

Bullspit isn't facts.

- Health insurance premiums have been skyrocketing for over 30 years. Since the implementation of ObamaCare prep, the rate at which premiums has increases has DECREASED.

- In states that have posted the cost of individual health insurance premiums through ObamaCare exchanges the rates have DECREASED (by more than half in places such as NY).

- Several companies have stated that they would move toward PT workforce if ObamaCare proceeded... but no major known company has done so -- and given the zealousness of conservative outlets such as FOX News, if they had, I'm sure we'd know. In fact, several companies have rescinded their positions. I'd chalk this up to the same category as people, such as Rosie O'Donnell, threatening to move to Canada (in 2004) if Bush was re-elected, people such as Donald Trump threatening to do the same if Obama was re-elected (in 2012), and Texans threatening to succeed (and Austinans threatening to succeed from Texas if Texas succeeded).

- Companies have been gradually moving toward PT work forces over the past 30 years, in effort to avoid paying health care as well as to offer lower wages. Initially it was restricted to low-wage, low-skilled jobs but during the recession -- and pre-ObamaCare -- it progressed to professional jobs requiring and education (including teaching, accountants, etc.) I do expect this trend to continue, but unless there's an acceleration, you'd be hard pressed to blame it on ObamaCare.

Overpaid Union Thug

Bullspit isn't facts.

- Health insurance premiums have been skyrocketing for over 30 years. Since the implementation of ObamaCare prep, the rate at which premiums has increases has DECREASED.

- In states that have posted the cost of individual health insurance premiums through ObamaCare exchanges the rates have DECREASED (by more than half in places such as NY).

- Several companies have stated that they would move toward PT workforce if ObamaCare proceeded... but no major known company has done so -- and given the zealousness of conservative outlets such as FOX News, if they had, I'm sure we'd know. In fact, several companies have rescinded their positions. I'd chalk this up to the same category as people, such as Rosie O'Donnell, threatening to move to Canada (in 2004) if Bush was re-elected, people such as Donald Trump threatening to do the same if Obama was re-elected (in 2012), and Texans threatening to succeed (and Austinans threatening to succeed from Texas if Texas succeeded).

- Companies have been gradually moving toward PT work forces over the past 30 years, in effort to avoid paying health care as well as to offer lower wages. Initially it was restricted to low-wage, low-skilled jobs but during the recession -- and pre-ObamaCare -- it progressed to professional jobs requiring and education (including teaching, accountants, etc.) I do expect this trend to continue, but unless there's an acceleration, you'd be hard pressed to blame it on ObamaCare.

If unemployed democrats and leach white trash republicans hadn't started raiding emergency rooms and clinics with illegal aliens then premiums would not have risen. Liberal policies have allowed such nonsense to occur. ObamaCare is simply unsustainable and even plenty of democrats agree. I PERSONALLY know more than a few people that have had their premiums as much as double just in preparation for it. And just wait until its fully implemented and a loved one needs an MRI.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If unemployed democrats and leach white trash republicans hadn't started raiding emergency rooms and clinics with illegal aliens then premiums would not have risen. Liberal policies have allowed such nonsense to occur. ObamaCare is simply unsustainable and even plenty of democrats agree. I PERSONALLY know more than a few people that have had their premiums as much as double just in preparation for it. And just wait until its fully implemented and a loved one needs an MRI.

The average 10-year FT (40/hr week) Walmart employee in California earns about 20K/year. The co-premium for family benefits in most areas is in excess of 5K/year -- and it's for an HMO with a $1000 deductible, $30 office visit co-pays, etc. The "Walmart" effect has spread to most other low-skill employers as well; Walmart has lead the pact in dumping health care -- or pricing it so high, few will nibble at it.

What's not sustainable is the current system of relying on employers to willingly provide health insurance, when it contradicts their goal of profitability. To suggest that the burden of the un/underinsured on the system is primarily illegals just proves your ignorance. While I don't expect it to change your opinion, I do suggest you educate yourself with real facts and turn off conservative talk radio that bases itself more on entertainment and less on facts.

Overpaid Union Thug

The average 10-year FT (40/hr week) Walmart employee in California earns about 20K/year. The co-premium for family benefits in most areas is in excess of 5K/year -- and it's for an HMO with a $1000 deductible, $30 office visit co-pays, etc. The "Walmart" effect has spread to most other low-skill employers as well; Walmart has lead the pact in dumping health care -- or pricing it so high, few will nibble at it.

What's not sustainable is the current system of relying on employers to willingly provide health insurance, when it contradicts their goal of profitability. To suggest that the burden of the un/underinsured on the system is primarily illegals just proves your ignorance. While I don't expect it to change your opinion, I do suggest you educate yourself with real facts and turn off conservative talk radio that bases itself more on entertainment and less on facts.

I'll let you reread my post so that you can see for yourself how silly your claim that I believe illegals are primarily responsible for short circuiting the system is. That way I don't have to waste time explaining it to you.

The thing everyone needs to realize is that insurance through an employer is a BENEFIT. Not a right. And it would be more affordable if Americans AND illegals hadn't started flooding ERs and clinics decades ago every time they caught a cold.

And I don't want to hear anymore nonsense about Walmart. Liberals love to hate Walmart and use them as a catch all for political/economical debates while ignoring the real problem and solution. The problem being (Dave Ramsey says it best) that many Americans have a carreer crisis. Not a financial crisis. The solution being that people need to strive for more. Get educated and/or trained for a carreer that can help provide a better life for them instead of waiting on the government to fix their problems. Dave Ramsey also tells people to look for part-time work (seems to favor UPS or delivering pizzas) to supplement their pay. Its really is just common sense. The government raming more social programs down our throats isn't the answer.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Why the heck should I give a dang about what Dave Ramsey thinks? I do find it ironic that you can "defend" the practice of paying FT workers less than $20K/year while justifying your compensation package, which will soon be equivalent to that of an MBA grad from MIT despite mandating a limited skill set - and paying more than twice the industry norm. Should UPS's performance decline, conservative pundits will have a field day blasting the IBT. If you pay 40-hour/week employees (for example) in SoCal less than the average rent in a seedy area, don't be shocked that they turn to government assistance. Saying "well, they should work 80-hours a week then" is a ridiculous cop out to the problem that exists, as is insisting they should better their skills. Walmart employs well over 1M store associates in this country. We need people to work retail, fast food, etc. They should earn a fair wage for their work -- e.g. not having to work 80-hours/week to put a roof over their head and food on a table.

The number of people in financial distress - including bankruptcies - over medical costs is huge. And most have insurance. Just crappy insurance. It's a growing problem in this country that needs to be addressed. Punting with "well, I have good health insurance, so friend--- you" won't solve the problem.

I'll let you reread my post so that you can see for yourself how silly your claim that I believe illegals are primarily responsible for short circuiting the system is. That way I don't have to waste time explaining it to you.

The thing everyone needs to realize is that insurance through an employer is a BENEFIT. Not a right. And it would be more affordable if Americans AND illegals hadn't started flooding ERs and clinics decades ago every time they caught a cold.

And I don't want to hear anymore nonsense about Walmart. Liberals love to hate Walmart and use them as a catch all for political/economical debates while ignoring the real problem and solution. The problem being (Dave Ramsey says it best) that many Americans have a carreer crisis. Not a financial crisis. The solution being that people need to strive for more. Get educated and/or trained for a carreer that can help provide a better life for them instead of waiting on the government to fix their problems. Dave Ramsey also tells people to look for part-time work (seems to favor UPS or delivering pizzas) to supplement their pay. Its really is just common sense. The government raming more social programs down our throats isn't the answer.

Overpaid Union Thug

Why the heck should I give a dang about what Dave Ramsey thinks? I do find it ironic that you can "defend" the practice of paying FT workers less than $20K/year while justifying your compensation package, which will soon be equivalent to that of an MBA grad from MIT despite mandating a limited skill set - and paying more than twice the industry norm. Should UPS's performance decline, conservative pundits will have a field day blasting the IBT. If you pay 40-hour/week employees (for example) in SoCal less than the average rent in a seedy area, don't be shocked that they turn to government assistance. Saying "well, they should work 80-hours a week then" is a ridiculous cop out to the problem that exists, as is insisting they should better their skills. Walmart employs well over 1M store associates in this country. We need people to work retail, fast food, etc. They should earn a fair wage for their work -- e.g. not having to work 80-hours/week to put a roof over their head and food on a table.

The number of people in financial distress - including bankruptcies - over medical costs is huge. And most have insurance. Just crappy insurance. It's a growing problem in this country that needs to be addressed. Punting with "well, I have good health insurance, so friend--- you" won't solve the problem.

You SHOULD care what Dave Ramsey thinks because his financial advice and career advice have done far more to educate Americans (and foreigners that follow him) on how to take control of their lives than any left wing "progressive" idea or social programs could ever do. Only those in favor of the latter would consider someone taking control of their own lives a "cop out." Keep using California's crap economy and Wal-mart as your benchmarks on why people struggle in life. Your world will always seem bleak that way. Some of us prefer to look elsewhere for enlightenment.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You SHOULD care what Dave Ramsey thinks because his financial advice and career advice have done far more to educate Americans (and foreigners that follow him) on how to take control of their lives than any left wing "progressive" idea or social programs could ever do. Only those in favor of the latter would consider someone taking control of their own lives a "cop out." Keep using California's crap economy and Wal-mart as your benchmarks on why people struggle in life. Your world will always seem bleak that way. Some of us prefer to look elsewhere for enlightenment.

To put a spin on a classic joke: a women walks into a psychology's office and tells him her needs are being met; he tells her "get new needs." A struggling single mom working two jobs pays David Ramsey for advice. He advises her to get a third job. Same concept.

Nor does Mr. ramsey's advice constitute a financial Bible. He's a sales person, often selling unrealistic advice (e.g. "normal" 12% market returns) and often leads his customers toward high-commissioned sales persons/organization not always acting in their best interests. Plus there's alternative views to being debt-free. In fact, some people make a lot of money off of their debt.
- Classic example: In 2008, my credit card offered me two-years 0% interest & no transaction fees on checks written against it. So I wrote one out for the entire balance ($32K), deposited it into a two-year CD at an inflated interest rate during the banking crisis, and earned well over $5,000 in interest. Completely free money earned against a high debt level.
- Since Ramsey believes so strongly in the market, why doesn't he promote mortgaging (& continued equity loans / re-fi) the entire value of your home & investing it into the markets, since the returns (per him) will be three times the interest rate you're paying? And in high-cost housing markets, historically returns off of renting & investing the difference (between ownership) have demonstrated that home ownership doesn't always make financial sense.
- There's still a cost to driving a 10-year-old fully paid for car. Scheduled maintenance costs increase, and parts begin to fail & need replacement. Consider an end-of-season sale on an entry level Chevy Malibu for just over $17K right now (with the UPS discount). Including sales tax & 2% (market rate) financing, that's less than $18K-$19K out-the-door (before tax benefit), depending on the location. In three years it's projected you'll earn $14K from a private sale for that car. Depending on your ability to perform maintenance and repair (assuming you keep the car road worthy) and local insurance/registration rates, the three-year cost of the new car may be lower than that of the 10yo car. It just entails a paper debt load.

I'm sorry you had to turn to Dave Ramsey to do your thinking for you, but alas, whatever makes you feel better.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
- Several companies have stated that they would move toward PT workforce if ObamaCare proceeded... but no major known company has done so -- and given the zealousness of conservative outlets such as FOX News, if they had, I'm sure we'd know. In fact, several companies have rescinded their positions.

I like your full post, but just to address that small part of it, there is this:
forever-21-takes-heat-for-dropping-coverage-cutting-hours-for-workers/

Not exactly a "major" company, but they did have sales of 3.64 billion last year.
They mostly already only employed part-time employees anyways. But don't be surprised by the spin you'll hear about this from the right.

Everyone needs to keep in mind the move to a part-time workforce happened a long time ago, before obama care was ever an issue. Part-time poverty is here to stay, with or without Obama.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I like your full post, but just to address that small part of it, there is this:
forever-21-takes-heat-for-dropping-coverage-cutting-hours-for-workers/

Not exactly a "major" company, but they did have sales of 3.64 billion last year.
They mostly already only employed part-time employees anyways. But don't be surprised by the spin you'll hear about this from the right.

Everyone needs to keep in mind the move to a part-time workforce happened a long time ago, before obama care was ever an issue. Part-time poverty is here to stay, with or without Obama.

It's hard to phantom that the move by Forever 21 was related to ObamaCare, given that these positions already included health care. More likely Forever 21 (which denies the ACA link), which is also eliminating paid time off for PT employees, was seeking to cut costs. Given that companies have been moving to PT workforces over the past 30 years while slashing pay & benefits, it's hard to establish a definite link between benefit/employment status cuts & downgauges. If ObamaCare explains Forever 21's actions in 2013, what explains Kohl's and Target's (et. al. - the listing seems infinite really) similar actions in the mid-2000s? The big difference is that companies can use ACA as an excuse.

Take UPS for example. Unquestionably, the contract negotiated with IBT will further handicap their ability to compete on cost and could be damning in the next five years. The company's been on a cost cutting campaign since 2008, and really, there's not much left to cut. Enter ACA, which provides the company a convenience excuse to dilute managerial benefits (at a significant savings) while rallying a base that generally identifies as conservative. But did ACA make these cuts really necessary? Or is it just an excuse? Nobody here has a definite answer.

Skooney

Take UPS for example. Unquestionably, the contract negotiated with IBT will further handicap their ability to compete on cost and could be damning in the next five years. The company's been on a cost cutting campaign since 2008, and really, there's not much left to cut. Enter ACA, which provides the company a convenience excuse to dilute managerial benefits (at a significant savings) while rallying a base that generally identifies as conservative. But did ACA make these cuts really necessary? Or is it just an excuse? Nobody here has a definite answer.

Talk about your own spin.

The fact remains whether is necessary or not, it's happening - period. It doesn't matter if it's an excuse, or a problem with the ACA. The facts are, here it is. It's happening, and now things like that are becoming more and more common. People who buy into it's because of the ACA, are absolutely right. Whether it's an excuse, or a viable reason the revocation of benefits and companies cutting hours and blaming the ACA, the time is here, and now. If you believe these companies would still announce these major cost saving cuts without the ACA in place - you are a fool. I don't care how long this country has been moving to a PT workforce, it's not a pure coincidence these cuts, and the announcements are pointing fingers - the ACA is the driving force behind all these cuts. Necessary or not - we as the American public will never know. But without the ACA right around the corner, are you really foolish enough to believe that it's just pure coincidence?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Talk about your own spin.

The fact remains whether is necessary or not, it's happening - period. It doesn't matter if it's an excuse, or a problem with the ACA. The facts are, here it is. It's happening, and now things like that are becoming more and more common. People who buy into it's because of the ACA, are absolutely right. Whether it's an excuse, or a viable reason the revocation of benefits and companies cutting hours and blaming the ACA, the time is here, and now. If you believe these companies would still announce these major cost saving cuts without the ACA in place - you are a fool. I don't care how long this country has been moving to a PT workforce, it's not a pure coincidence these cuts, and the announcements are pointing fingers - the ACA is the driving force behind all these cuts. Necessary or not - we as the American public will never know. But without the ACA right around the corner, are you really foolish enough to believe that it's just pure coincidence?

LOL. Did you bother to read my post? It's been happening for over 30 years. Thus far, there's no hard statistics that demonstrate that the rate has increased.

And you're the fool if you believe that companies, in the course of normal business decision making, will not take the opportunity to scapegoat them on ObamaCare.