Teamcare and hurricane

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"A point that seems to be missed is UPS, had they kept the insurance, would certainly have bargained for a deductible, much higher than what's coming."
Well said
In answer to BH it is pertinent to the conversation. You have to look outside the brown bubble (no pun intended) and see what we have compared to the main stream. Our benefits are way above the norm. And yes we work for a company with record profits and we should bargain for a good contract and benefits. We just can't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
Maybe my view doesn't account for much because I work the extra 19-20 hours a week specifically for the benefits. I just see what is out there and what others are paying.
Stewy, I love ya brother and have nothing but respect for your posts, but where we differ is this:

The Teamsters have always "set the bar" for parallel industries.
So when we prosper, so do the "at will" people.

I just simply won't accept playing our way back to the field while negotiating with a company like UPS that is far from reaching their ceiling in an ever emerging market.

Our only threat as frontline workers may be from technology, but should leave plenty of revenue for superior benefits for those who persist.

Last edited:

LeadBelly

Banned
Not quite, I'll do the math for youse guys...

The .50 raise you received on 8/1/17 will work out to an additional $650 in your pocket by 2/1/18 @ 47 hours a week. ($520 @ 40 hrs) On 2/1/18 that becomes $1.00 which equates to $1300 by 8/1/18 @ 47 hrs or $1040 @ 40. So from 8/1/17 - 8/1/18 you'll have an additional $1560 - $1950 plus.
In any case you will make more than the onerous possible $200 family deductible.

A point that seems to be missed is UPS, had they kept the insurance, would certainly have bargained for a deductible, much higher than what's coming.
That's why you are here. I got a lot to learn. I didn't really think it equated to the whole 50cent raise but some of it. Unlike in the past I'm more interested in civilized dialogues with like minded people as myself, but also unlike minded people. I think we can use this stage to move in a positive direction. Even though few participate here I believe more like to actually watch. So what you just contributed was very informative. I like the break down you made.

What would be your argument if you were on the opposite side of the of the discussion?

LeadBelly

Banned
Stewy, I love ya brother and have nothing but respect for your posts, but where we differ is this.

The Teamster have always "set the bar" for parallel industries.
So when we prosper, so do the "at will" people.

I just simply won't accept playing our way back to the field while negotiating with a company like UPS that is far from reaching their ceiling in an ever emerging market.

Our only threat as frontline workers may be technology, but should leave plenty of revenue for superior benefits for those who persist.
Just a question. I realize what yi are saying as far as technology, but aren't you also afraid of republicans and all this cheaper labor like Amazon, and Fedex? What about the rumors about DHL getting back into the ground game.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
They told us this morning in our Pcm that Grover Cleveland was the President who made it a national holiday.
I didn't get a bad case of poison ivy weeding around Grover's monument. LOL. It was McGuire's idea for labor day and to push for it. Leave it to UPS to give credit to Grover Cleveland.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I realize what yi are saying as far as technology, but aren't you also afraid of republicans...
Both sides of the isle scare the crap out of me.
They both, through different sets of smoke and mirrors, do nothing but further the greed of Big Business in Corporate America.
For every statesman, there a hundred whores.
Until we wake up to this as voters, in all arenas, we will continue to get a steady stream of the same.
...and all this cheaper labor like Amazon, and Fedex? What about the rumors about DHL getting back into the ground game.
You forgot the Post Office, who we continue to supplement daily with parcels already in our system, allowing them to regain solvency and remain in the game, when they were likely on their way out.

Right now there seems to be "all you can eat" for most of the players, but as these developments mature, I say they are all potential Teamsters.

You haven't forgotten how we got here have you?

Organize, organize, and organize....

....or we can curl up like pill bugs, in our little corner booth near the kitchen, until the restaurant closes.

Last edited:

Inthegame

What would be your argument if you were on the opposite side of the of the discussion?
Pretty much what Bubble is saying.

UPS is doing just fine and doing fine BECAUSE of the efforts of it's unionized workforce that is sacrificing their bodies for this organization.

But...when negotiating contracts, comparisons always come into play and unlike the gains made years ago come contract time in freight when all the big players were unionized, UPS uniquely has no comparables other than a heavily subsidized federal post office. It's nearest private competitor (FedEx) isn't close to UPS's wage and benefit pack, yet our members rightfully expect their extraordinary efforts should produce extraordinary contracts.

Therein lies the dilemma, how do the negotiators get more than UPS wants (or is now allowed by their public ownership) to give. And how much can UPS give and remain competitive in the market, when the competition is widening their nets?

542thruNthru

Let's play a game. I play it with my kids when they get to loud. We play who can not talk the longest. Let's just change the concept to not bring up an organization that is in no way affiliated with the Teamsters or unions as a whole. This would be a positive direction to take the conversation!!!!

I like this new attitude of yours my friend. I for one hope people follow your lead. Don't take this the wrong way but I hope you keep this attitude when people start complaining about the contract proposals. I'd like to see more knowledgeable post from smart involved union members like you, @Bubblehead , @Inthegame , @BigUnionGuy @wide load and many others. Instead of bickering and put downs because people disagree. We all need to remember things are not the same across the country and we are all brothers.

Hell my management team has already started to spread the word that a strike is coming to scare them into a yes vote.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2482.PNG
I'm sure you can do the math.

Is $400.00 in a year.... that prohibitive of an obstacle ?

Or, is it just the thought of it.

An additional 15 minutes a week on the clock, will cover it.

Run a misload, deal with traffic, talk to your supervisor, clean your mirrors,

get a sales lead. :biggrin:

The possibilities are endless.... Ask a feeder driver.

-Bug-

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I like this new attitude of yours my friend. I for one hope people follow your lead. Don't take this the wrong way but I hope you keep this attitude when people start complaining about the contract proposals. I'd like to see more knowledgeable post from smart involved union members like you, @Bubblehead , @Inthegame , @BigUnionGuy @wide load and many others. Instead of bickering and put downs because people disagree. We all need to remember things are not the same across the country and we are all brothers.

Hell my management team has already started to spread the word that a strike is coming to scare them into a yes vote.

Best post I've read in the union forums.

LeadBelly

Banned

Thanks for your kind, encouraging, and well thought out words. I think you have something to add to the solution as well. Your voice of reason on this forum is very well respected as far as I'm concerned. You are one of the posters that I watch and am actually proud after I read it. That and I can tell you aren't 65, so I know there is hope for our future Teamster generations.

I will do my best to live up to your words in this post. You are a member and I think you represent a very large demographic of the membership. If you see me getting out of line, feel free to reign me in!!!

LeadBelly

Banned
Pretty much what Bubble is saying.

UPS is doing just fine and doing fine BECAUSE of the efforts of it's unionized workforce that is sacrificing their bodies for this organization.

But...when negotiating contracts, comparisons always come into play and unlike the gains made years ago come contract time in freight when all the big players were unionized, UPS uniquely has no comparables other than a heavily subsidized federal post office. It's nearest private competitor (FedEx) isn't close to UPS's wage and benefit pack, yet our members rightfully expect their extraordinary efforts should produce extraordinary contracts.

Therein lies the dilemma, how do the negotiators get more than UPS wants (or is now allowed by their public ownership) to give. And how much can UPS give and remain competitive in the market, when the competition is widening their nets?
There is so many different facets of the Game than just sitting by and analyzing it from the sidelines. You have the General manager, scouts, coach (or manager), players etc etc etc. You could put a team out there to play, but you need the right personal.

You can't go up against the Patriots with Alabama. There's so much more to it than people want to recognize or understand, me included.