Teamcare Retiree Insurance Doesn't Pay If Spouse is Disabled

oldngray

nowhere special
@qdg2, I was trying to state that UPS in Atlanta only starts the retirement process. Your pension and healthcare are administered from somebody else. I still have Teamcare until May 1, I turn 65 in the middle of that month so I have to go on Medicare then. I have an appointment with a Medicare advisor Monday to go ahead and pick a Medicare Supplemental to cover what Medicare doesn't. The best plans are cheaper than Teamcare. You can pay even more than $200 a month to stay on Teamcare when you turn 65 but it's cheaper to go elsewhere. Medicare is deducted from your Social Security Benefit, unlike Teamcare coming out of your pension check. My wife's issue is that the Retiree Teamcare Plan does not cover anybody who is eligible for Medicare.

UPS and the Teamsters don't give a crap about anybody once they retire.
3rd party handles the health insurance and I had the problem of getting conflicting answers from apparently 2 different departments. One would want more paperwork, I sent it in and they said everything was good. But later would get letters from them claiming I never sent the paperwork. I sent in the premium and everything was fixed. Until they sent me back a refund saying it wasn't. Atlanta only knew enough to read from their one size fits all script which ignored differences in local plans. Union was absolutely no help and the local HR guy worked harder at avoiding the issue than even talking to me about it. I ended up going over his head to his boss to get someone with database access that could finally fix the problem that someone else from local HR figured out even though it wasn't her job.

trickpony1

3rd party handles the health insurance and I had the problem of getting conflicting answers from apparently 2 different departments. One would want more paperwork, I sent it in and they said everything was good. But later would get letters from them claiming I never sent the paperwork.
I have found it is best to send important paperwork like this by USPS Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested.

When they say, "you never sent the paperwork". You can say, "...the post office says I did." as you present the green card and/or tracking number.

It's worth a trip to your local post office.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have found it is best to send important paperwork like this by USPS Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested.

When they say, "you never sent the paperwork". You can say, "...the post office says I did." as you present the green card and/or tracking number.

It's worth a trip to your local post office.
Yeah but that doesn't work so well when you get letters back from them in writing saying they got all the paperwork.

Then a week later another letter saying differently.

Repeated several times.

Like I said it was like they had 2 different offices that didn't communicate with each other.

qdg2

WIFE needs an MRI......Dr. said "we're waiting on insurance approval....."

WTF? We have NEVER heard that! Ever. Has it started?

Johney

If you are part of Teamcare retirement like myself there is an imaging company that does the scheduling for you. No charge for MRI, CT & PET scans.
Advanced Imaging
USIN 877-674-0674

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
And use QUEST or whatever company listed on your Teamcare card for your lab work if you don't want another bill in the mail.

Thebrownblob

And use QUEST or whatever company listed on your Teamcare card for your lab work if you don't want another bill in the mail.
Yep I’ve had a few try to screw me or someone in my family sending it to a different lab after we told them explicitly quest only. Sorry, suckers eat it yourself.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yep I’ve had a few try to screw me or someone in my family sending it to a different lab after we told them explicitly quest only. Sorry, suckers eat it yourself.
Crap like that makes me wonder who is getting the kickbacks. It should be the same anyplace if it is in network.

Thebrownblob

Quest is fine. I have it out here too.
Yep I have no problem with quest. They do just fine. The issue is for some reason. Many of the offices don’t use them specifically unless you ask and then even if you ask they say well we sent it to this other lab and then I told him well, you’re paying for it not me I told you to send it to quest

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Yep I have no problem with quest. They do just fine. The issue is for some reason. Many of the offices don’t use them specifically unless you ask and then even if you ask they say well we sent it to this other lab and then I told him well, you’re paying for it not me I told you to send it to quest
That’s how you get their attention.

qdg2

What is interesting......we never ever got a bill for anything cancer related. Never had a delay. I'm not sure if she went to Quest or not. I know a lot of the stuff was done in office....labs and even scans.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
@qdg2, I was trying to state that UPS in Atlanta only starts the retirement process. Your pension and healthcare are administered from somebody else. I still have Teamcare until May 1, I turn 65 in the middle of that month so I have to go on Medicare then. I have an appointment with a Medicare advisor Monday to go ahead and pick a Medicare Supplemental to cover what Medicare doesn't. The best plans are cheaper than Teamcare. You can pay even more than $200 a month to stay on Teamcare when you turn 65 but it's cheaper to go elsewhere. Medicare is deducted from your Social Security Benefit, unlike Teamcare coming out of your pension check. My wife's issue is that the Retiree Teamcare Plan does not cover anybody who is eligible for Medicare.

UPS and the Teamsters don't give a crap about anybody once they retire.

@scratch: Going through the same process...have an appointment with a Medicare Insurance Broker soon. My wife was on Medicare A and B prior to my retirement, now I have to get on Medicare B (over age 65). Bottom line there is a big difference in our healthcare coverages between being active and retired, annual limits is the big one. I believe that retiree benefits under Team Care is set at 100,000, whether Medicare before you turn age 65 covers the rest as a supplement I do not know?

You need gap insurance once you go on Medicare at age 65, sounds like you got a plan. Medicare A and B will take around 250 out of your Social Security check, you need to cover the 20 % gap in your coverage...just in case like your wife. So many plans out there to purchase, depends on your age, health and other factors. Unlike what we are familiar with you and your dependents are covered separately (individually). You can get a discount rate if you go as a couple, remember to make sure you have drug coverages or dental or vision, those are separate from Medicare A and B.

Considering what is happening to you and your wife it is best to burn all those bridges attached to Team Care and get on Medicare. One less headache to deal with, more to come unfortunately.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
@scratch: Going through the same process...have an appointment with a Medicare Insurance Broker soon. My wife was on Medicare A and B prior to my retirement, now I have to get on Medicare B (over age 65). Bottom line there is a big difference in our healthcare coverages between being active and retired, annual limits is the big one. I believe that retiree benefits under Team Care is set at 100,000, whether Medicare before you turn age 65 covers the rest as a supplement I do not know?

You need gap insurance once you go on Medicare at age 65, sounds like you got a plan. Medicare A and B will take around 250 out of your Social Security check, you need to cover the 20 % gap in your coverage...just in case like your wife. So many plans out there to purchase, depends on your age, health and other factors. Unlike what we are familiar with you and your dependents are covered separately (individually). You can get a discount rate if you go as a couple, remember to make sure you have drug coverages or dental or vision, those are separate from Medicare A and B.

Considering what is happening to you and your wife it is best to burn all those bridges attached to Team Care and get on Medicare. One less headache to deal with, more to come unfortunately.

Correction: "Medicare A and B will take about 170 out of your Social Security check." :rolleyes:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Then I guess you’ve never needed an MRI? This is everyone that’s gotten an MRI that I know. Ends up making ones leave twice as long half the time.