teamsters ups class action lawsuit

This is going in local 710. A couple years ago ups gave seasonal employees a bonus like every other year. The bonus extended for over a year where people got 300 a week to show up. Ups bumped it to 400 a week at the end and the bonus finally got stopped january 2019. Everyone filed a grievance and they keep saying ups and teamsters is in arbitration. I want to know if anyone heard of this going on. This year they did away with the bonus by giving seasonal employees a pay rate of 17 an hour compared to our 15. This must be a union issue.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I think UPS giveth, and UPS taketh away when it wants to. $300.00-$400.00 a week just show up to work on time? C'mon, man. Put on your big boy pants and just come to work when you're supposed to. This was probably a temporary stopgap move in certain areas of the country. I doubt they would ever put it in the contract and be held to this for the length of the contract.

AwashBwashCwash

I think you guys who are going after UPS over the bonuses are playing with fire.

We all know UPS isn't giving out bonuses out of the goodness of their heart. They've done the homework and realized they need to offer these bonuses in order to get enough help.

What do you think would hypothetically happen if they were somehow prohibited from giving the bonus?
They wouldn't get the help they need, and suddenly the existing "part-timers" are working 10 hour nights.

Can't stay up all night working because you have school? Too bad, fired.
Have another job that you need to be awake for during the day? Too bad, better pick one, fired.
Have any other commitments at all besides your "part-time" job? Fired.

I get it. Your dream scenario is that, as an alternative to bonuses, UPS is just going to be forced to raise wages, which will then apply to everyone. But that won't happen. They will let everything crash and burn and you'll be pulling all-nighters in the hub before they raise wages. UPS HATES you and wants you to suffer.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I think you guys who are going after UPS over the bonuses are playing with fire.

We all know UPS isn't giving out bonuses out of the goodness of their heart. They've done the homework and realized they need to offer these bonuses in order to get enough help.

What do you think would hypothetically happen if they were somehow prohibited from giving the bonus?
They wouldn't get the help they need, and suddenly the existing "part-timers" are working 10 hour nights.

Have another job that you need to be awake for during the day? Too bad, better pick one, fired.

I get it. Your dream scenario is that, as an alternative to bonuses, UPS is just going to be forced to raise wages, which will then apply to everyone. But that won't happen. They will let everything crash and burn and you'll be pulling all-nighters in the hub before they raise wages. UPS HATES you and wants you to suffer.

You don't get it.

I would much sooner see my fellow coworkers make a ton of money, than a bunch of seasonal senior citizens we brought on to meet a body count.

If hours increase, instead of wages, then we will be paid the extra money in overtime. Pretty simple, and there's a goodly number of us who'll happily sign up for extra work.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
This is going in local 710. A couple years ago ups gave seasonal employees a bonus like every other year. The bonus extended for over a year where people got 300 a week to show up. Ups bumped it to 400 a week at the end and the bonus finally got stopped january 2019. Everyone filed a grievance and they keep saying ups and teamsters is in arbitration. I want to know if anyone heard of this going on. This year they did away with the bonus by giving seasonal employees a pay rate of 17 an hour compared to our 15. This must be a union issue.

I'm 710 but we don't/haven't had anything like that at my center. Seasonals get the same 14 an hour we get for starting wages.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!

While I agree with you sort of, you’re wrong. We already have higher wages in different areas of the country. MRA allows them the ability to offer the wages that are needed to attract employees in that geographical area.

AwashBwashCwash

I would much sooner see my fellow coworkers make a ton of money, than a bunch of seasonal senior citizens we brought on to meet a body count.

They are your fellow coworkers.

BadIdeaGuy said:
If hours increase, instead of wages, then we will be paid the extra money in overtime. Pretty simple, and there's a goodly number of us who'll happily sign up for extra work.

And there's a lot of people who expect a part-time job to be a part-time job and have other commitments in their life.

Justaloader

They are your fellow coworkers.

And there's a lot of people who expect a part-time job to be a part-time job and have other commitments in their life.

True, but on the other side of that coin - there are those of us that don't mind adjusting those commitments to make that extra cash in the short term. To each their own.

oldngray

nowhere special
Mama said there'd be days like this .
1bb4e.jpg