Telematics and discipline.

Packmule

I go daily without any violations, then one day I started showing up with up to 80 violations a day.
Took mechanics a while but they finally fixed the problem.
This is why they are not supposed to discipline with just telematics. They have to personally observe the violation as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Every winter we the the same thing. Management is trying to tell us , if you take lunch in the truck, the engine has to stay off no matter how cold it is. The union does nothing.

Our center manager is a bit more reasonable and allows us to start the PC every 5-10 minutes to keep the cab warm.

10 point

If this indeed the case it would be very easy for mgt to determine if the violations occurred after the drivers had returned to the building.
We had drivers RTB, drop their airs, and then have "back first" exceptions logged for parking their own truck or the carwash (or mechanic) takes their car in air recovery and they get dinged for them driving off while snapping the belt.
Telematics is acknowledged as being "flawed". It's just a tool for them to highlight nonsafe work methods when doing observations.

10 point

I'll remember that when I get a safety ride in January. I'll eat on my first break and skip eating my lunch and we'll sit with the truck off for 30 min.

10 point

Some of the "awareness" comes out when fuel $ jump.
Some trucks will not start easily in sub zero weather.

Guess that's our fault too.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I guess so. Maybe 3 a day with 200 stops. Never had more than that. Just thinking that it's kinda bs for 1 at .01 miles. I was told that's the shortest they can even measure it. I'm thinking more like 5 feet not 50 feet

Follow the training, man. Any time that truck is moving be strapped in. File a grievance about the warning letter, but never let them get you for something as stupid as not having your seat belt on. How big of a hurry are you in?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
No one saw me and they can't prove jack :censored2:. Just at the point after 20 yrs I'm really starting to see what a screwed up place this really is. On car gave me the letter and said it's just part work they are making him do. Just tired of the crap.

It took you 20 years to figure that out?

EasyTrucker

3 things:

1. Our Local automatically grieves all warning letters, ask your BA why yours doesn't.

2. They can't use telematics alone to discipline. They need to witness you doing wrong in order to discipline the first time.

3. In new contract we are allowed to idle when temp is 32 degrees or colder, so enjoy your warm comfy cab this winter! Sorry my new contract book is at work so I can't quote the article, but it is in there.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So you never would have mentioned that we aren't allowed to be disciplined based solely off technology!? *shrug
Contract never talked about discipline for info retrieved from electronic devices. It only mentions discharge. They are free to pass out, and have always been, as many warning letters they like based on Telematics. Like it or not.

ARTICLE 6
Section 6. Technology and Discipline

No employee shall be discharged if such discharge is based solely

upon information received from GPS or any successor system

unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes

of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an

employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The

Company must confirm by direct observation or other corroborating

evidence any other violations warranting discharge. The

degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be

changed because of the use of GPS.

The Company acknowledges that there have been problems with

the utilization of technology in the past. Therefore, at the request

of the Union’s Joint National Negotiating Committee Co-Chair a

meeting will be scheduled with the Company Co-Chair to discuss

any alleged misuse of technology for disciplinary purposes and

what steps are necessary to remedy any misuse.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
3 things:

3. In new contract we are allowed to idle when temp is 32 degrees or colder, so enjoy your warm comfy cab this winter! Sorry my new contract book is at work so I can't quote the article, but it is in there.
Must be a regional thing. It is not in the Master or the Central Region Supplement.

EasyTrucker

Must be a regional thing. It is not in the Master or the Central Region Supplement.

Mugarolla thanks for questioning me, as I then went looking for the article. Unfortunately the idling at 32 degrees or below was in our preliminary offer to UPS and did NOT make it into the final NMA under Article 18 Section 14.1. Go figure, but I apologize for any misunderstandings I may have caused.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Every winter we the the same thing. Management is trying to tell us , if you take lunch in the truck, the engine has to stay off no matter how cold it is. The union does nothing.

Our center allows the trucks to run non-stop during the extremely cold months.