Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

tieguy

Banned
Here's the question what does having a Monitoring system do that a starter interrupt system does not?

Meaning if safety was the key issue, why not just
put in a simple sensor/switch, door open = no start, belt off = no start.

Why does UPS insist on a more expensive monitoring device to get the
same job done(if safety is in fact the "goal")

If the starter interrupt fails then the car does not start.

brownman15

then everyone overides it and its no good. I believe the monitoring system also benifits for the automotive group to monitor vehicle performance.

thats why i said in an emergency those that abuse it will be dealt with and i agree that it is good for automotive 2 prevent breakdowns.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I do not see how telematics benefit everyone and I'm sure this has been said before....

Management still wants their gunners to cut corners and get done in 8 skipping a lunch and they get a pat on the behind for it. Methods and therefore positive telematic results are not a prerequisite.

But the ones that may perhaps forget to do something in sequence - (for ex buckle seatbelt before engaging vehicle or ignition) and is a thorn in managements side, they're not following methods and therefore should not have a job and will be disciplined.

This style be applied to any job at UPS, inside or out of course. Typical targeting.

correct me if I'm wrong of course..

tieguy

Banned
I do not see how telematics benefit everyone and I'm sure this has been said before....

Management still wants their gunners to cut corners and get done in 8 skipping a lunch and they get a pat on the behind for it. Methods and therefore positive telematic results are not a prerequisite.

I'm sure there are examples of what you speak . But with the glut of access gurus running reports I think it has to be getting tough to impossible for center manager's to hide sloppy methods.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Here's the question what does having a Monitoring system do that a starter interrupt system does not?

Meaning if safety was the key issue, why not just
put in a simple sensor/switch, door open = no start, belt off = no start.

Why does UPS insist on a more expensive monitoring device to get the
same job done(if safety is in fact the "goal")
That's a great question, fredly. How about it UPS? It would be nice if UPS would answer our questions, and I don't mean the various meanagers and supes that are on here. Not trying to slur you guys, by any means, as we all have our functions. I'm just trying to say, it would be nice if one of the higher ups got on here and answered a few questions, and maybe sat down with the boys and girls, to have a nice chat.

Are you suggesting that I reveal my "true" identity, and become totally vulnerable?:wink2:

But the ones that may perhaps forget to do something in sequence - (for ex buckle seatbelt before engaging vehicle or ignition) and is a thorn in managements side, they're not following methods and therefore should not have a job and will be disciplined.

This style be applied to any job at UPS, inside or out of course. Typical targeting.

correct me if I'm wrong of course..
Very well said, Sleeve!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm sure there are examples of what you speak . But with the glut of access gurus running reports I think it has to be getting tough to impossible for center manager's to hide sloppy methods.

That's a good point. And you know more than I about these things. But I would also imagine any of this data can be altered or "streamlined" so to speak up to standards. Again, I dunno. :sick:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well I'm "pretty sure" you are remembering incorrectly.

I am in the Oregon district. UPS has all of its new package cars for the western half of the US delivered here because we have no sales tax and vehicle registrations are 1/4 or less the cost of those in other states.

We have always gotten the new vehicles and run them for a year or so to let them depreciate in value before sending them off to other regions. We got a whole bunch of brand shiny new P-500's, both GMC and Ford, back in 1990. They did NOT have power steering. Same deal with the P-800's and P-1000's of that era. P-600's have not been made since 1977, none of them were ever equipped with power steering and there are no longer any still in use. UPS has always placed a 30-year time limit on keeping a vehicle operational, once it turns 30 they ADA it.

The first power-steering vehicles in the UPS fleet came out in 1992 and they were the International diesel P-1000's of the 113,xxx number series.

I once looked at a "catalogue" of the different types of vehicles in the UPS fleet that belonged to a mechanic in our Automotive dept. It clearly showed that none of the package cars made prior to '92 had power steering.

This is incorrect. If it was correct, I wouldn't have been driving a P500 Ford from 1970 a couple years ago. choke throttle, no power steering obviously ;)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I can almost gurantee that, during the last 3 weeks of December, we wont hear anything about "excessive" backing, bulkhead door open, etc. The data will still be available, but it will be conveniently overlooked.

At my location, the "backing campaign" has turned out to be just another flavor-of-the week deal. It was a real hot-button topic for awhile there, but they quit posting the daily report on the door and none of the sups are talking about it anymore.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I can almost gurantee that, during the last 3 weeks of December, we wont hear anything about "excessive" backing, bulkhead door open, etc. The data will still be available, but it will be conveniently overlooked.

At my location, the "backing campaign" has turned out to be just another flavor-of-the week deal. It was a real hot-button topic for awhile there, but they quit posting the daily report on the door and none of the sups are talking about it anymore.

How can that be? The desk Guru said we can do the job without backing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

How can that be? The desk Guru said we can do the job without backing.
I haven't backed into a driveway for 2 weeks in a row, now. I'm down to about 14 backs a day.

Pump Up The Volume

Telematics is a massive waste of money. This company would be better served with less micro-management. Drivers are a direct reflection of management. It will become even more clear that drivers are too busy turning piles of dung into pieces of cake.