Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

Pump Up The Volume

i feel we're talking about apples and oranges. Casey was a visionary but also a business man. He would have seen the value in telematics and approved its implementation.

Phrasing my point another way I don't see why you feel telematics violates Caseys legacy?
You further bring into clarification my original points.
In summation, using the words of a past predecessor, how do you justify calling tweedledee tweedledum and tweedledum tweedledee??

tieguy

Banned
Yes, so Casey being a business man, how does he justify spending excess money monitoring the people who make him the bread and butter?
What about the double standards aforementioned?
Are we getting the big picture? The customer is still neglected

Unfortunately as some here have admitted there was some monitoring needed. And the the end result could very well be that those that needed it are now working safer. I won't apologize if the end result is it save lives and injuries.

tieguy

Banned
Agreed Tie, but as a driver did you keep your bulkhead door closed 100% of the time?

nope I did not and thought it made a lot more sense when I heard the story of the hand cart flying through the open door.

I believe there are times it can be left open safely between stops. I think it is safe enough to leave it open during dense residential deliveries when driving 15-20 MPH.
Is it going to be enforced this strictly? Can you really expect us to close the bulkhead door when moving from 3 to 11 Elm street?

you might be right.

Federal and state agencies deem it safe for a sanitation worker to ride outside a truck with nothing more than a metal bar to hang onto. If this practice has the blessing of OSHA, then I believe the practice of leaving the bulkhead door open during dense residential deliveries is about as low-risk you can get when talking about injuries.

that point I still don't understand. I guess the sanitation workers union and the sanitation companies convinced OSHA it was safe?

I

DS

Fenderbender
What if you were at 7A elm St. and some crazy maniac bank robber came around the corner and hit the car head on,sending your handcart through the front windshield and into a baby carriage.Just do it,take the ot and be safe.

tieguy

Banned
What if you were at 7A elm St. and some crazy maniac bank robber came around the corner and hit the car head on,sending your handcart through the front windshield and into a baby carriage.Just do it,take the ot and be safe.

lol, tongue cemented to cheek I'm sure. My extra-terrestrial friend above does indirectly raise a point. It would be nice if the corporate stats folks perhaps ran some of these type of stats for us letting us know how many people were hurt due to foriegn objects flying through an open bulkhead door. Might open some eyes. Whatever the number the other issue closely tied to this one is the security of the customers packages.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, did you really keep the bulkhead door closed 100% of the time? C'mom?:wink2:

This is one habit I will have great difficutly stopping.

"Originally Posted by browniehound
Agreed Tie, but as a driver did you keep your bulkhead door closed 100% of the time?

nope I did not ""

my previous response to your question?

pretzel_man

I am wondering what the actual numbers of people getting hurt having a hand truck come thru the bulk head door and falling out the vehicle when they get into an accident. I don't do either but can't believe that the numbers are that big. Everyday we get pcm's about accidents and don't remember hearing any. I am also sure that Jim will be happy with the elimination of the holiday turkey.

Jim Casey eliminated the holiday turkey for 10 years due to tough economic times.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Yes, so Casey being a business man, how does he justify spending excess money monitoring the people who make him the bread and butter?
What about the double standards aforementioned?
Are we getting the big picture? The customer is still neglected

Jim Casey was a big proponent of monitoring and measuring activities. He talked multiple times about gathering information and using that to improve the business.

Jim Casey brought on board George Smith who was the UPS father of work measurement. Casey was proud of this and many felt that this measurement and analysis allowed us to grow. (Read the legacy books on George Smith.

As far as the customer goes, service is now at an all time high. The latest Morgan Stanley survey of shippers had UPS rated higher than FedEx express for air service and significantly higher than FedEx ground.

I think Casey would have been fine with Telematics because he would have looked at the facts and results.

On the other hand, I think he would have NEVER approved of the company going public. By the way, George Smith's family was also very much against UPS going public.

P-Man

sano

Jim Casey was a big proponent of monitoring and measuring activities. He talked multiple times about gathering information and using that to improve the business.

Jim Casey brought on board George Smith who was the UPS father of work measurement. Casey was proud of this and many felt that this measurement and analysis allowed us to grow. (Read the legacy books on George Smith.

As far as the customer goes, service is now at an all time high. The latest Morgan Stanley survey of shippers had UPS rated higher than FedEx express for air service and significantly higher than FedEx ground.

I think Casey would have been fine with Telematics because he would have looked at the facts and results.

On the other hand, I think he would have NEVER approved of the company going public. By the way, George Smith's family was also very much against UPS going public.

P-Man
Another great post P-Man. I agree.

Sometimes I think Jim Casey is to UPS a little like Jesus is in some churches. Few people even know much about Him, but everyone claims He is on their side.

What would Casey do?:happy-very:

(Not meant to be sacrilegious or disrespectful in any way to Mr Casey)

iowa boy

Jim Casey eliminated the holiday turkey for 10 years due to tough economic times.

P-Man

P-man,

The questions many of us here have are 1) Will UPS reinstate the holiday turkeys and the circle of honor program, (just 2 examples), when economic conditions improve? Some of us really believe that these things are gone for good due to the importance of numbers over people.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Agreed Tie, but as a driver did you keep your bulkhead door closed 100% of the time? I believe there are times it can be left open safely between stops. I think it is safe enough to leave it open during dense residential deliveries when driving 15-20 MPH.

Is it going to be enforced this strictly? Can you really expect us to close the bulkhead door when moving from 3 to 11 Elm street?

Federal and state agencies deem it safe for a sanitation worker to ride outside a truck with nothing more than a metal bar to hang onto. If this practice has the blessing of OSHA, then I believe the practice of leaving the bulkhead door open during dense residential deliveries is about as low-risk you can get when talking about injuries.

I think the production gains far out weigh the safety risks. No?
Yes, it's working as directed. If that's what they want you to do, do it. Ask your supe if it's okay to deliver those stops with the BH open. If they say yes it's okay, get it in writing and go do it that way. If not, work as though you're on a safety ride, with the president. jmho

City Driver

im slowly but surely starting to agree with the whole "follow the methods, not necessarily what is most efficient/easy" beliefs

they are pounding it into our heads over here.....

but like ive always been told, follow the methods, stay on task and they cant write you up

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
im slowly but surely starting to agree with the whole "follow the methods, not necessarily what is most efficient/easy" beliefs

they are pounding it into our heads over here.....

but like ive always been told, follow the methods, stay on task and they cant write you up

Welcome to "the church", brotha.:wink2:

pretzel_man

P-man,

The questions many of us here have are 1) Will UPS reinstate the holiday turkeys and the circle of honor program, (just 2 examples), when economic conditions improve? Some of us really believe that these things are gone for good due to the importance of numbers over people.

Iowa:

I can't answer for sure, but I think the programs will come back. It took Casey 10 years to bring the turkeys back, but he did.

As far as circle of honor goes, its the banquet that was eliminated right now. Here is the text from describing the situation:

Because you have reached 25 years of safe driving, you will join the Circle of Honor and receive a new uniform with the shirtsleeve patch and the Circle of Honor jacket. The formal Circle of Honor banquets are suspended, but we will have local recognition.

P-Man

jd.brown

I have a feeling Telematics will be something that we'll all be discussing for a long time. It seems to me this will only bite the company in the ass. Now we can't take short cuts. We take short cuts not because we want to, but because we're so over dispatched, and drivers just want to get home. This will cause many people to slow down, get paid more, and perhaps, get less on their trucks. They want to use this stuff to spy on us and find reasons to fire us so they can hire drivers with fewer vacation days and less pay. This just gives everyone the excuse to work like they have a supervisor with them everyday. Do the job at a safe honost pace, and there's nothing to worry about. Make them pay for this, and don't give them an excuse to fire you.

-jd

http://www.big-brown-blog.blogspot.com/

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have a feeling Telematics will be something that we'll all be discussing for a long time. It seems to me this will only bite the company in the ass. Now we can't take short cuts. We take short cuts not because we want to, but because we're so over dispatched, and drivers just want to get home. This will cause many people to slow down, get paid more, and perhaps, get less on their trucks. They want to use this stuff to spy on us and find reasons to fire us so they can hire drivers with fewer vacation days and less pay. This just gives everyone the excuse to work like they have a supervisor with them everyday. Do the job at a safe honost pace, and there's nothing to worry about. Make them pay for this, and don't give them an excuse to fire you.

-jd

Little do they know, the unity they are creating amongst the brotherhood. I agree with your post, but everytime someone says "slow down", the company (MGMT), takes it as we're dragging feet. What slowing down means is actually working at a safe, honest and realistic pace. Doing everything in "absolute" EDD order doesn't hurt, either. Let's see how many more people jump onto this bandwagon.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmithBarney

Here's the question what does having a Monitoring system do that a starter interrupt system does not?

Meaning if safety was the key issue, why not just
put in a simple sensor/switch, door open = no start, belt off = no start.

Why does UPS insist on a more expensive monitoring device to get the
same job done(if safety is in fact the "goal")