Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Today without the telematics system in our center, they can put any route in to track it for that day. Then they play it back for review. The OMS can pull up a screen that shows all drivers on the road and then single out a driver, but it's Real Time - about 15 minutes. They can't see where you are right now, but where you were 15 minutes ago.
It's ODSe, Trpl. We have it too. :happy-very:

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
The only power steering vehicles we had before 1995 were a pair of Ford C600 furniture vans that came from NYC. One dated back to the Kennedy years. They were replaced by a pair of 1100s that also came out of NYC. Those beasts were the length of a 1000 and a foot taller. They had power steering and air brakes. I believe they got rid of them because of the air brakes when the new CDL regulations went into effect.
Didnt all your 35 packages that you recorded on paper weigh like 18 pounds?

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
Well I'm "pretty sure" you are remembering incorrectly.

I am in the Oregon district. UPS has all of its new package cars for the western half of the US delivered here because we have no sales tax and vehicle registrations are 1/4 or less the cost of those in other states.

We have always gotten the new vehicles and run them for a year or so to let them depreciate in value before sending them off to other regions. We got a whole bunch of brand shiny new P-500's, both GMC and Ford, back in 1990. They did NOT have power steering. Same deal with the P-800's and P-1000's of that era. P-600's have not been made since 1977, none of them were ever equipped with power steering and there are no longer any still in use. UPS has always placed a 30-year time limit on keeping a vehicle operational, once it turns 30 they ADA it.

The first power-steering vehicles in the UPS fleet came out in 1992 and they were the International diesel P-1000's of the 113,xxx number series.

I once looked at a "catalogue" of the different types of vehicles in the UPS fleet that belonged to a mechanic in our Automotive dept. It clearly showed that none of the package cars made prior to '92 had power steering.
I have one! I just got it! I love it! and its old as hell. 17 years senority and just got the first power steering model ups has ever seen

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This, pretending I have telematics thing, is the way to go. I think i've found a new religion.:wink2:
Way to go Steven. Maybe we should all do the same. It's coming. May as well be prepared for it.
Our DM said that the higher ups could possibly make our center a priority for Tele because we are so out of control here. I hope they do.

Pump Up The Volume

My concern about telematics is the disconnect between upper management to lower management to hourlies will be greatly accentuated.
Telematics is more hollah pahloo about nothing
The guys running and jumping through hoops will always be glanced over
The guys not making the numbers will always be carefully documented
The customer/ mom and pop business will always be lost in the shuffle.
What happened to Jim Casey's legacy?

tieguy

Banned
My concern about telematics is the disconnect between upper management to lower management to hourlies will be greatly accentuated.
Telematics is more hollah pahloo about nothing
The guys running and jumping through hoops will always be glanced over
The guys not making the numbers will always be carefully documented
The customer/ mom and pop business will always be lost in the shuffle.
What happened to Jim Casey's legacy?

As you read through this thread there are people here admitting they now wear thier seatbelts and close thier bulkhead doors because of telematics. That will save lives and save people being injured by a hand cart or package flying through an open bulkhead door. I think Jim would be very happy with such a system.

tieguy

Banned
I agree that obeying the law and following UPS procedures is my job. I feel you have sufficiently given validity to my points.

i feel we're talking about apples and oranges. Casey was a visionary but also a business man. He would have seen the value in telematics and approved its implementation.

Phrasing my point another way I don't see why you feel telematics violates Caseys legacy?

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
As you read through this thread there are people here admitting they now wear thier seatbelts and close thier bulkhead doors because of telematics. That will save lives and save people being injured by a hand cart or package flying through an open bulkhead door. I think Jim would be very happy with such a system.

I am wondering what the actual numbers of people getting hurt having a hand truck come thru the bulk head door and falling out the vehicle when they get into an accident. I don't do either but can't believe that the numbers are that big. Everyday we get pcm's about accidents and don't remember hearing any. I am also sure that Jim will be happy with the elimination of the holiday turkey.

tieguy

Banned
I am wondering what the actual numbers of people getting hurt having a hand truck come thru the bulk head door and falling out the vehicle when they get into an accident. I don't do either but can't believe that the numbers are that big. Everyday we get pcm's about accidents and don't remember hearing any. I am also sure that Jim will be happy with the elimination of the holiday turkey.

How many injuries did you need before you would thought the point was valid?

You realize you won't get a pcm on every injury that occurs at ups?

browniehound

I am curious to know the statistics of UPS drivers being injured/ killed because they were not wearing the seat belt. I know for me, I feel naked in a package car without the seat belt on. I know it's second nature for most drivers . It's the only thing that feels secure for me. Some of the older package cars feel like they have no shocks, and square tires, and the smallest of bumps could throw you out......lol

I just didn't know if this is a waste of company money. If not, then good idea.

GUTHREE,
I agree that we feel totally naked without the seatbelt on. I think we all wear it 99.9999% of the time. I'm thinking UPS wants to crack down on the .999999% of the time we are not wearing it. I think UPS wants to stop the practice of clicking the belt just as the truck begins to roll because most of us let the truck roll too far before the belt is fastened.

I find it very interesting that GUTHREE said he felt "naked" without the seatbelt. I feel the same way but didn't at first.

I was two months into my first air driving job. At one point during the air pick-ups my seatbelt got jammed and I couldn't fasten it. I was in my early 20's and this occured almost a decade ago.

I drove to the airport (5 miles?) in a P500 without a seatbelt on. Then, me being either stupid or naive didn't tell a supervisor at the airport. I drove back to the center without a seatbelt!!!!

When I think back, I can't believe I did it! Why didn't I alert a manager at the airport? My truck was empty and service was made on every parcel I picked up so it would be no inconvience to me or service issue with UPS. I simply didn't think the seatbelt was that important:knockedout:.

I'm thinking it was my age and inexperience that allowed me to drive a P500 on the highway without a seatbelt.

There is no way on this earth that I would move any UPS vehicle 6 inches without a seatbelt now. 10 years later I can't believe I drove a P5 on the highway for many miles without a seatbelt. :sad-very:

Pump Up The Volume

Yes, so Casey being a business man, how does he justify spending excess money monitoring the people who make him the bread and butter?
What about the double standards aforementioned?
Are we getting the big picture? The customer is still neglected

browniehound

Agreed Tie, but as a driver did you keep your bulkhead door closed 100% of the time? I believe there are times it can be left open safely between stops. I think it is safe enough to leave it open during dense residential deliveries when driving 15-20 MPH.

Is it going to be enforced this strictly? Can you really expect us to close the bulkhead door when moving from 3 to 11 Elm street?

Federal and state agencies deem it safe for a sanitation worker to ride outside a truck with nothing more than a metal bar to hang onto. If this practice has the blessing of OSHA, then I believe the practice of leaving the bulkhead door open during dense residential deliveries is about as low-risk you can get when talking about injuries.

I think the production gains far out weigh the safety risks. No?