Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

backinbrown

respect my authority
Just not worth cutting corners i know we sometimes think we have it tough when we get hassled

but at the end of the day driving back to center are we not thankfull to have such a well paying job

i couldnt look at my family and say i lost my job because i wanted to look good so i cut corners

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Just not worth cutting corners i know we sometimes think we have it tough when we get hassled

but at the end of the day driving back to center are we not thankfull to have such a well paying job

i couldnt look at my family and say i lost my job because i wanted to look good so i cut corners

Very True

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I remember when the commit time for my area was changed from 12:00 to 10:30 by Corporate. No negotiation; no additional routes allowed; just find a way to make it work. It was, essentially, an "unfunded mandate" imposed upon our center.

I made a list of the areas that I would not be able to deliver to by 10:30 and gave it to my sup. He told me "just find another driver in your loop to take it, you need to figure it out, there's nothing I can do."

I spent a couple of weeks running up and down the belt every morning, all stressed out, trying to dispatch my own air. Then I started popping up on a report and got written up for "excessive AM time" due to being in the building for longer than 11 minutes in the morning.

It finally dawned on me that none of this had to be my problem. I had notified my management of the situation; they were either unwilling or unable to solve the problem; so all I could do was give it right back to them.

So I started keeping all the air, getting out of the building in the allowed 11 minutes, and just delivering it late. I would type in "X" for "other" and in the remarks column type in "impossible commit time" and go about my business. I averaged 7 or 8 late air per day.

It took all the stress off of me, and removed any temptation on my part to cheat or falsify records. It wasnt my problem any more. I was being honest and simply taking their problem and giving it back to them.

After about 2 weeks of this, they got the message and started dispatching the work to another route. This was a "partial" route that only got dispatched during heavy volume and was only in 2 or 3 days a week. Once it started getting my air, it went out every day and wound up being put up for bid.

There is a moral to this story; late air is THEIR problem and not YOUR problem. Just deliver it late.

We don't deliver our air on time Tues-Fri...Very difficult to sell a service we can't provide 4 days a week.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a moral to this story; late air is THEIR problem and not YOUR problem. Just deliver it late.

That is a lesson that many drivers need to learn.

We had the same thing happen in my area this past fall. We made sure that no one was cheating and let the supes solve the delivery issues.
TB

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
As long as you tell management you won't be able to deliver the air on time, it is on them. There is no reason ever to be stressed about air commits. Just make sure you are not banging out ground stops before you deliver late air. Big trouble there.

backinbrown

respect my authority
As long as you tell management you won't be able to deliver the air on time, it is on them. There is no reason ever to be stressed about air commits. Just make sure you are not banging out ground stops before you deliver late air. Big trouble there.

nice advice dont miss air because you wanted good stop count that hour

i will del as much as i can on way to air stops

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Should that driver be fired and should it stick???

Barn

The simple answer is yes, he should be fired.

Then the steward in me says why did he do that? And try to keep the guy his job.

Thing is, under the current trend, I see this situation being re-inacted over and over again within a few years.

Time to make those changes now. Dont wait until they have you in the office for dishonesty, and get me to try and figure you a way back home.

d

barnyard

KTM rider
I know that it seems side-tracked from the start of the post, but I really think that too often we forget about how our customers may be affected by our actions. We get too focused on pleasing 'the man.'

We need to please our shippers and receivers.

TB

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I remember when the commit time for my area was changed from 12:00 to 10:30 by Corporate. No negotiation; no additional routes allowed; just find a way to make it work. It was, essentially, an "unfunded mandate" imposed upon our center.

I made a list of the areas that I would not be able to deliver to by 10:30 and gave it to my sup. He told me "just find another driver in your loop to take it, you need to figure it out, there's nothing I can do."

I spent a couple of weeks running up and down the belt every morning, all stressed out, trying to dispatch my own air. Then I started popping up on a report and got written up for "excessive AM time" due to being in the building for longer than 11 minutes in the morning.

It finally dawned on me that none of this had to be my problem. I had notified my management of the situation; they were either unwilling or unable to solve the problem; so all I could do was give it right back to them.

So I started keeping all the air, getting out of the building in the allowed 11 minutes, and just delivering it late. I would type in "X" for "other" and in the remarks column type in "impossible commit time" and go about my business. I averaged 7 or 8 late air per day.

It took all the stress off of me, and removed any temptation on my part to cheat or falsify records. It wasnt my problem any more. I was being honest and simply taking their problem and giving it back to them.

After about 2 weeks of this, they got the message and started dispatching the work to another route. This was a "partial" route that only got dispatched during heavy volume and was only in 2 or 3 days a week. Once it started getting my air, it went out every day and wound up being put up for bid.

That is a lesson that many drivers need to learn.

We had the same thing happen in my area this past fall. We made sure that no one was cheating and let the supes solve the delivery issues.
TB

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
EXCELLENT, NOW ITS A NEW YEAR, LETS DO OUR JOBS CORRECTLY, PROTECT OURSELVES , KEEP OUR CUSTOMERS, AND KEEP EVERYONE HONEST.
lATE AIR, LET IT BE LATE. IT COULD CAUSE THEM TO PUT IN THAT ROUTE THAT IS NEEDED, AND NOT PUT IN BECAUSE IF THEY WHIP US A LITTLE HARDER, SOMEHOW WE WILL GET IT DONE.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
One more thing while we are on the discussion of telematics.

75% or more of the total information that will be gathered will pertain to automotive issues. To help prevent unneeded replacement of parts, to replace worn parts before a breakdown occurs etc.

Much less than 15% of the information will pertain to driver issues, with the overwhelming being that of safety. Did you use your turn signal, did you secure your brake properly, did you use the seatbelt.

The rest of the information will be a mix of different areas that can have the ability to help UPS understand the areas better to give them a better "view" of it than a three day time study would.

The problem with this system is the delivery and implementation. And that is where UPS screws up most good systems and programs.

Are you listening Corporate?????

Many of you have posted that the delivery sup, center manager, or even in some cases even division managers have already threatened to misuse the system for their own personal agenda of "getting" some people in their centers.

Shame on them and the people that allow this type of threatening.

And that brings forth the sissy/girly/squirly postings that declare doom and despair and the end of the UPS driver as we know it.

Yes, things are changing at UPS. To keep paying the top pay that we as drivers expect, UPS wants, no needs to control certain aspects of the costs that affect its bottom line.

One of the larger costs is automotive and fuel. This system will point to areas that are wasteful or non productive.

And like to admit it or not, we do have a number of drivers that are stealing time (not talking production here) but taking two lunches, spending time with the on road girlfriend while on the clock, etc. These are the people that will find this system a real pain in the behind.

And for those that are refusing to work as instructed by buckling up, using horns and turn signals etc, this will be the tool UPS uses to instruct you to do so. If you still refuse, expect to receive the response.

It will also monitor those drivers that are not honest with the delivery of time sensitive deliveries. So expect to be charged with dishonesty and hang by yourself if caught, because your sup that kinda hinted or whispered in your ear suggestions on doing what you are doing will hang you out to dry. In front of the division manager, center manager, stewards and the labor manager, they will plainly tell you face to face that what you did is a dishonest act, something you can get fired for, and they never ever even suggested you do it.

So there you are. The system is not only designed to help UPS stay competitive, but to weed out those that are dishonest, speed, the "runners and gunners" that abuse equipment by racing the engine, and getting out while sliding to a stop. IT will make you a safer driver (I know sober, every one but you at UPS has 3 point belts).

Dont fear the system, use it. It can be your friend.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Like I said

The door is open for management to use this system for personal gain and squash employees that they deem are not following the "toy soldier parade"

Of course, I'm going to clean up some areas I personally bend the rules for, but its not me I'm worried about. It's the guys that stand up to management to treat us like humans instead of numbers. The ones that are a thorn in the paw of management. The ones that try to uphold the contract for the drivers. The ones that file grievances like a Pez dispenser.

To say that its main use is for the mechanics department is a sham and can't believe you would agree. Are drivers to be disciplined because they ride the clutch? Am I going to have a brake pad deducted from my paycheck because I brake harder than 30% of the drivers? I stand by what I post and will sit back and watch in the coming years personal agenas being resolved by the system.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Heffe

I dont think that those drivers will attract more than any one else. Especially if more drivers get tired enough of the worthless bitching about conditions and actually begin doing something about it.

The bully never ever quits picking on those that roll over and take more, only those that stand up and say Ive had enough, and then act on it.

Courage never has been something that has been without cost. Neither has freedom.

There will be those managers that will seek to misuse the system for their personal endeavors. Shame on UPS for keeping them on board.

As for your brake comment, I would think that they would be more interested in the type of driver that drives with one foot on the gas, the other on the brake or clutch. There are those types as well.

Main thing is that over the last 20 years, many things have come and gone. Every change was either going to be the downfall of UPS or the negation of employee rights. I have yet to see either take place. And I really dont think this one will do either.

d

brett636

I understand and can even appreciate this system as what it was designed to do. Help with making the drivers safer and improving the bottom line. Although I am just a simple air driver I learned after about a month that a lot of those saftey methods work in my favor. Taking a little more time to be a safe driver helps all around. My main problem with this system is exactly what has been mentioned, and that is using it to harass and intimidate drivers who are considered "problems". I have seen it happen, those drivers who dare file on something where they are wronged are harassed for issues that other drivers never get a passing mention about. That one time they have the truck in gear without their seat belt on will get themselves a quick trip to the manager's office while someone who marches in step with managements rhetoric will get a free pass on the same issue. As I see it UPS has good intentions with this telematics system, but those good intentions turn into bad ones once their front line management begins to use it.

W

westsideworma

I'm sure some manager somewhere will use it wrong. I'm sure some employee somewhere will tamper with the system and be fired. This does not make the intent equal to what you have proposed.

P-Man

Therein lies many peoples' complaints with the great tech this company has and it DOES have some great tools. Another problem with it is that the tech pushed beyond what was originally expected of it. An example would be throwing 1200pph at scanning stations that can only print labels at 800 pph and then whining that there are out of syncs etc. To anyone reading the specs or who knows them the reason for the problem is obvious...but to some in charge...it evades them for some odd reason. When our sort isle supes report that the printers simply can't keep up they are told to make it work lol. Its amazing, as if any of those in charge could posssibly do any better if the equipment is simply not able to reach that golden number accurately.

I eagerly await our new scanners (the HP handhelds for PAS) to see if they indeed do solve problems...from the videos they look rather slow.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Therein lies many peoples' complaints with the great tech this company has and it DOES have some great tools. Another problem with it is that the tech pushed beyond what was originally expected of it. An example would be throwing 1200pph at scanning stations that can only print labels at 800 pph and then whining that there are out of syncs etc. To anyone reading the specs or who knows them the reason for the problem is obvious...but to some in charge...it evades them for some odd reason. When our sort isle supes report that the printers simply can't keep up they are told to make it work lol. Its amazing, as if any of those in charge could posssibly do any better if the equipment is simply not able to reach that golden number accurately.

I eagerly await our new scanners (the HP handhelds for PAS) to see if they indeed do solve problems...from the videos they look rather slow.
Now that is funny, trying to whip a machine to go faster. HAH

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Bottom line for me is the fact that no one wants someone looking over their shoulder 24 hrs a day. I don't care what job you do, how well you do it or if you're more honest than the pope. It will make a difficult job that much more difficult. Will drivers deal with it? Look at all the crap we already deal with compared to 20 yrs ago.... nda commitments, oca"s, more stringent commit times, PAS/EDD, gps, etc etc. Of course we'll deal with it. I just want to hang out at P-Man's desk for a couple days and ask "wacha doin'?":happy2: (kiddin,P, I do respect your posts and value your insight)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Long lunch

the times are a changing. And unless UPS changes with it, they will go the way of REA and DHL.

The union retirement roles are full of drivers who worked for companies that are long gone, and most you would have never heard of.

Not all changes are going to be painless either.

As far as the big brother looking over your shoulder, UPS has been doing that for years, they just were not doing it every day for every driver.

And while the majority of the drivers do things pretty much by the book, there are that group that like to play games. And its that few that ruin a lot of things for the majority.

I remember years back a driver that ended up a diabetic. Lost 60 pounds and was not allowed to go back into driving. Our district "created" a full time inside job (before the 22-job creations) so he could get in the 15 more he needed to retire.

Never forget one day after they busted a part time thief. He stated to me that he knew of stuff walking out the door at UPS almost nightly, but he was not going to say or do anything about it.

So Ironic. Here it is, they make a full time job to help him out, knowing that this job now is a full time permanent position forever. And he thanks them back by covering for a bunch of damn thieves?

I see the system as one that will fix some serious issues on both the hourly and management side.

Someone asked if the union will be able to access the information. Absolutely. If the company is going to use something as discipline, the union has a right to access that information to defend the employee.

d