Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Danny...I think most drivers agree with the methods, and bonus is something we don't see much of since EDD. However, the few shortcuts I take (like not closing the bulkhead door for those last 20 resis) are borne from experience and area knowledge. I don't think the sensors UPS is installing will be able to detect that. I know I wear a wrist wrap now from constantly turning the keys over and over. If I can save a litle bit on my body and STILL keep myself, my car, and my packages safe I don't feel as though I'm cheating the company. Just the opposite. I feel I'm doing what I should and making good decisions for myself and the company.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Danny...I think most drivers agree with the methods, and bonus is something we don't see much of since EDD. However, the few shortcuts I take (like not closing the bulkhead door for those last 20 resis) are borne from experience and area knowledge. I don't think the sensors UPS is installing will be able to detect that. I know I wear a wrist wrap now from constantly turning the keys over and over. If I can save a litle bit on my body and STILL keep myself, my car, and my packages safe I don't feel as though I'm cheating the company. Just the opposite. I feel I'm doing what I should and making good decisions for myself and the company.
If your gonna keep the door open, just take the key off the ring and leave it in the keyhole? No wrist turning....just 2 fingers twisting the key...and it's not as noticeable as having the door open. So during an observation, you just pull the key and slide it in your pocket. Not that I've done that!!

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
If your gonna keep the door open, just take the key off the ring and leave it in the keyhole? No wrist turning....just 2 fingers twisting the key...and it's not as noticeable as having the door open. So during an observation, you just pull the key and slide it in your pocket. Not that I've done that!!

Great! Now UPS is gonna wire your keyhole:surprised::surprised::surprised:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
There will always be ways to shortcut parts of the system. Its been online here for about a week and nothing has been mentioned to me about what i'm doing wrong.:wink2:

Leaving the bulkhead door open during tight resi. areas will probably not be enforced. Leaving it open during business and driving longer distances would be looked at harder.

I will say that my seat belt usage is at 100%. Up from its usual 2%.:surprised:
Just feel its not worth getting fired over and explaining to the wife.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Heffe

On behalf of your wife and kids(both present and future), thanks!

A for leaving the key in the lock, or stuffing the latch with delivery notices, or other short cuts like that, I dont believe that is proper methods. But as a practical matter, when your next stop is less than a block away......

One thing is for sure, this job is demanding. IT is repetitive. If your door is not easy to unlock or slide open, write it up.

d

BigBrownSanta

Just curious, but what are you going to do if your sup puts a note that says "bomb" in your truck and takes your key while you're making a delivery?

helenofcalifornia

Lately at our center, I have been feeling we have been sailing on the S.S. TItanic, not the S.S. Enterprise. We have finally hit the bottom of the proverbial management barrel where the drivers can dispatch better than the paid professionals.

I am beginning to sound like Soberups and his persistently valid
campaign to retrofit all trucks with the 3-point seatbelt; I am SO glad I am not starting out right now for UPS. (heavy sigh)

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
There will always be ways to shortcut parts of the system. Its been online here for about a week and nothing has been mentioned to me about what i'm doing wrong.:wink2:

Leaving the bulkhead door open during tight resi. areas will probably not be enforced. Leaving it open during business and driving longer distances would be looked at harder.

I will say that my seat belt usage is at 100%. Up from its usual 2%.:surprised:
Just feel its not worth getting fired over and explaining to the wife.
I agree Heff, a good driver with experiance knows what area a door can be left open,,, 5 pm at night doing my last 25 in a white collar, blue collar neighborhood and car in my sight,,,door open!! ahhh 5 pm in THE HOOD or PROJECTS NO WAY !!some may say i'm not a Politically correct person here & I'll just say I'm honest!!!

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Just curious, but what are you going to do if your sup puts a note that says "bomb" in your truck and takes your key while you're making a delivery?
Well hold on and I'll find out what the guys that leave the door open would do. All I'm saying is it's not as noticeable. Back in the day when I was a new driver I would do it (Leave the key) now it doesn't leave the ring, in fact I get P/O'd when I take a day and I have to rearrange the keys because the cover guy did the same thing. I'm not 100% with the methods 100% of the time but I certainly am better with them now than I was when I first started driving. The keys don't leave my hand & the door is closed-every stop.

Ms.PacMan

For years I had a spare PC18 on a ring with a little pocketknife for cutting off COD tags and always left it in the bulkhead door. That was one hard habit to break!

I think I've broken myself of every bad habit now but I agree that those last stops of the day are just screaming to be delivered the quickest way I can find - with the exception of jumping out of the driver's side. If I did that 20 times in a row now I wouldn't be able to walk the next day.

BigBrownSanta

Well hold on and I'll find out what the guys that leave the door open would do. All I'm saying is it's not as noticeable. Back in the day when I was a new driver I would do it (Leave the key) now it doesn't leave the ring, in fact I get P/O'd when I take a day and I have to rearrange the keys because the cover guy did the same thing. I'm not 100% with the methods 100% of the time but I certainly am better with them now than I was when I first started driving. The keys don't leave my hand & the door is closed-every stop.

I hope you didn't take my question as busting your chops. It was not intended that way. It was just my way of planting a seed of doubt about leaving the key in the bulkhead door.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree Heff, a good driver with experiance knows what area a door can be left open,,, 5 pm at night doing my last 25 in a white collar, blue collar neighborhood and car in my sight,,,door open!! ahhh 5 pm in THE HOOD or PROJECTS NO WAY !!some may say i'm not a Politically correct person here & I'll just say I'm honest!!!

As one that used to live in, da hood, I agree. My cousin and I once boosted a 27" TV, plus the stand, when a truck driver went to make a delivery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ms PacMan mentioned jumping out of the driver's side door to make the delivery and I agree that this should be avoided but the 3-4' snow drifts lining all of our city streets makes this the better choice. Sides streets are not an issue as I simply park at the end of their driveway and walk it off but this is harder to do on our main streets. I think I had 10-12 of these yesterday and it requires a lot more care than going out the passenger door and walking behind the pkg car, but the option of trudging through 3-4' of snow just doesn't appeal to me.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ms PacMan mentioned jumping out of the driver's side door to make the delivery and I agree that this should be avoided but the 3-4' snow drifts lining all of our city streets makes this the better choice. Sides streets are not an issue as I simply park at the end of their driveway and walk it off but this is harder to do on our main streets. I think I had 10-12 of these yesterday and it requires a lot more care than going out the passenger door and walking behind the pkg car, but the option of trudging through 3-4' of snow just doesn't appeal to me.

Transfer to Florida.:surprised:

browndevil

Lately at our center, I have been feeling we have been sailing on the S.S. TItanic, not the S.S. Enterprise. We have finally hit the bottom of the proverbial management barrel where the drivers can dispatch better than the paid professionals.

I am beginning to sound like Soberups and his persistently valid
campaign to retrofit all trucks with the 3-point seatbelt; I am SO glad I am not starting out right now for UPS. (heavy sigh)
Yep! Glad to say I have more yesterdays than tomorrows at UPS:happy2:

TimeBonus

We have been live on this system for a week. But, management has been using it for a month prior. At first I took it as an insult to my integrity... now I love it. I am doing less work, not stressed because everything is by the book, and my driver sup hates it. It's not a great feeling knowing that your being watched all day , but my boss doesn't do anything that helps drivers or UPS so maybe he feels important now! Safety First