Telematics-who watches the watchers?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
There is already a sensor on the newer cars that prevents the transmission from being put into "drive" unless the brake pedal is applied. To my knowledge there have been no road calls or liability issues with this device. It would be quite simple to tie in the seatbelt and door sensors into the same circuit. For that matter, you could also wire up an "override" toggle switch that would allow the vehicle to operate in case of a sensor failure.

I think that brake pedal thing is mechanical, not a sensor. On the other hand, if a huge hand came out and smacked you in the back of the head when you didn't follow a method, would that be better?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On the other hand, if a huge hand came out and smacked you in the back of the head when you didn't follow a method, would that be better?

I suddenly had a flash back to my marriage! The worst part was explaining the bruises on the back of my head to my co-workers.

BTW, I think the brake pedal thing is called a safety interlock.

Big Babooba

As far as building an interlocking device, I said I don't know why they chose the path they did. Its likely because the system does more than only improve safety. Its also used for Automotive analysis. This was probably the most cost effective way to meet all goals.
P-Man
Actually an ignition / seat belt interlock system was mandated for passenger cars back in 1974. It was such a great idea that the government reversed itself and allowed them to be removed. Granted this is 2009 and not 1974, but I believe in the concept of KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. Why venture down that path again?
It's my understanding that telematics is coming to feeders.
I know we have IVIS but, supposedly, the new technology will measure even more important things like honking the horn, riding the clutch (a thread in itself), seatbelts, turn signals, farting etc.
Farting isn't the exclusive privilege of Feeder drivers. We in Package also let em rip!:sick:

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
As far as watching the watchers. Our center posts a print out of everyones Telematics stats with the daily manning sheet. You can see who had what violations each day. You get the number of seat belt faults and distance, as well as bulkhead fault/distance and number of times in reverse and distance in reverse. And your recording while driving stats and idle time numbers.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I don't want to hijack this thread but 1984 seems like the correct answer DocBrown, thanks. I have not read 1984 in about 20 years so I am a little foggy on every aspect of the story but I loved that book. As for Animal Farm, that is another great book by George Orwell. I saw an animated version of Animal Farm also diesel96, and unfortunately they changed the ending in the movie to make the ending less of a downer. The true ending is that the pigs win.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
the only concern with telematics is the same concern with any technology that ups use's. That is false data ether through tampering by management or by malfunction. We all know ups buys cheap things and I can tell you already my brand new p20(aka the ups minivan) has been in the shop 10 times for breakdowns and it has less than 20000 on it:biting:. The last time was becasue the telematics was malfunctioning :dissapointed:, now I see the telematics transponder duct taped to the roof.:happy-very: Also lets not forget and data can be manipulated if your management is corrupted enough:anxious:. But in all fairness i don't care if there is a live person there i do my methods on the job. :happy2:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
It's my understanding that telematics is coming to feeders.
I know we have IVIS but, supposedly, the new technology will measure even more important things like honking the horn, riding the clutch (a thread in itself), seatbelts, turn signals, farting etc.
It would make no difference if they added it to feeders. Theres not much they could critique us on. Feeder drivers don't ride the clutch, thats a package car thing. But if the brain trust wants to waste their money on outfitting the tractors with that crap ..... more power to them.:wink2:

rod

Retired 22 years
It would make no difference if they added it to feeders. Theres not much they could critique us on. Feeder drivers don't ride the clutch, thats a package car thing. But if the brain trust wants to waste their money on outfitting the tractors with that crap ..... more power to them.:wink2:

Do to the fact that you are suppose to keep both hands on the steering wheel I imagine they could put in a sensor to determine how much time you spent picking your nose and scratching your ____:happy2:

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Do to the fact that you are suppose to keep both hands on the steering wheel I imagine they could put in a sensor to determine how mush time you spent picking your nose and scratching your ____:happy2:

Wow, I imagine that sensor will be very uncomfortable...

sexyupsman

We go live with Telematics on Monday. Management had a meeting with us stewards on Friday morning to explain the Telematics system, how it works, and how it will be implemented.

The system will allow a sup to observe how many times and for how far a vehicle moved without the seat belt buckled or woth the bulkhead door opened. A map (Mapquest or Google Earth) will show the route traveled by the package car and any distance traveled with the belt unbuckled or door opened will be highlighted in red. It will also display backing exceptions (where the vehicle is started and immediately put into reverse, as opposed to backing first and then making the delivery). Supposedly, any driver found to be in violation of these basic safety procedures will be talked to by management and if their behavior doesnt change they can be subject to on-area observations that could result in disciplinary action.

My question is this; will the information about drivers who violate safety rules be forwarded to Corporate, or will it stay at the center level only? I ask this question because, as we all know, every center has its share of "bonus drivers" who take all kinds of unsafe shortcuts in order to make themselves and their management look good on paper. Management typically overlooks such behavior as long as the driver doing it is productive, but if the driver in question is overallowed he will be subject to excessive scrutiny and production harrassment. Will center-level management still be able to continue this practice, or will a chronically unsafe employee who leaves the door open and doesnt use his seatbelt show up on a report a little higher up the corporate food chain? I would like to think that the Telematics system will be used equally...but I'm not holding my breath.
As always, Big Brother is watching you. They are everywhere. Here at work they have a system to see what websites I visit and for how long. I could care less. But you guys should be wearing your seatbelts all the time. *** do they care if you fly out of the vehicle while in motion. You fall out of the door and you are toast! They dont want to have to support your widow or children in case it is their fault. Corporate Jerks!