Tentative Agreement

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Re: contract approval

Link?

Pure speculation.

Speculation rooted in anecdotal evidence. There are - at most, not counting myself - four or five other part-timers that regularly attend my local's monthly membership meetings. Four of them are PT shop stewards and the other one is a guy I drive there when I attend. And active part-timers eventually become active full-timers. Part-timers also have the lowest union density numbers in my (RTW) local. The drivers, by necessity, have to be members in case they get jammed up by the daily bull**** that they have to deal with from management.

Simply put, most part-timers don't see themselves being at UPS for the long haul until they've actually got 4 or 5 years under their belt, finish college, start a family, etc.

InsideUPS

Speculation rooted in anecdotal evidence. There are - at most, not counting myself - four or five other part-timers that regularly attend my local's monthly membership meetings. Four of them are PT shop stewards and the other one is a guy I drive there when I attend. And active part-timers eventually become active full-timers. Part-timers also have the lowest union density numbers in my (RTW) local. The drivers, by necessity, have to be members in case they get jammed up by the daily bull**** that they have to deal with from management.

Simply put, most part-timers don't see themselves being at UPS for the long haul until they've actually got 4 or 5 years under their belt, finish college, start a family, etc.

Same here in Ohio which as you know is not a RTW (yet.... Koch Brothers:biting:)..

Hopefully the overall concern of healthcare being transferred to Central States will get more part-time employees involved in the voting process. Many part-time and full-time employee are totally apathetic toward the Union UNTIL some issue affects them directly.

I believe that each and every BA across the country plays one of the most important and critical roles in our Union. Does he/she visit the location regularly...communicate well with the stewards... have meetings....defend the contract...etc..?

Age and seniority does have some correlation with part-time Union interest. I myself was guilty of not being interested in Union affairs when I started at UPS... I like many others felt that I was going to be at UPS only a short time......most Union/work related issues never mattered................. that was 34 years ago.....

The Milkman

Re: Last - best - final

Sorry, I don't live up to your standards of what you think I should be but it really doesn't bother me that much.
UPS higher management felt the same way about me but on the other side so I personally feel if the people at the extremes don't agree with me, I must be somewhere near the truth.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that you were also treated like nothing but a #...And your answer again just stengthens my opinions of the type of people who want to go into Management. Yes men..Who bow down and do whatever it takes to go up the ladder without any concerns for people who work under you..The ones ALL of you look down upon. It is a fact that Greed will do that to you on many levels. It is pathetic that people turn out that way..Can't be born that way..But being brainwashed will help you to develop into the type of people the higher ups want you to be to make sure the bottom line satisfies the shareholders:money:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Glad to hear that you were also treated like nothing but a #...And your answer again just stengthens my opinions of the type of people who want to go into Management. Yes men..Who bow down and do whatever it takes to go up the ladder without any concerns for people who work under you..The ones ALL of you look down upon. It is a fact that Greed will do that to you on many levels. It is pathetic that people turn out that way..Can't be born that way..But being brainwashed will help you to develop into the type of people the higher ups want you to be to make sure the bottom line satisfies the shareholders.

LOL ... such a goober.

I'm glad you have validated your beliefs.

​Go drink a beer for me and kill your few remaining brain cells. :wink2:

Maybe I will put together a video for you so you can quote someone else correctly. LOL

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Yea but a part time is not a career it's a stepping stone too one. After a while you stay partime and its stagnant. This is not a career.

That's absolutely no excuse for a union shop to negotiate significant compensation hikes for its FT employees, while bumping up stating pay for PT employees by (ultimately) 50c to a whopping $10/hour. No wonder PTers here have no interest in joining the union. In 5 years, $10/hour will likely be minimum wage in much of the country.

hall said PTers should be an emphasis, and he failed to deliver. What I perceive as "fair" would be $10.50-hr to start, with full benefits after 90-days, progressing to $13.50 after 30-36 months; persons working jobs with more accountability (e.g. loading package cars & trailers, scanning & bagging smalls / SurePost) would receive a $1-hr to $2-hr premium, depending on the job, as they have significant more accountability (nobody gets fired for unloading too slowly but they do for misloads). This isn't too far off from what was negotiated but... right now the life blood of UPS PTers is persons who work for $9.50/hour, no benefits and quit after several months... it enables UPS to whore out the workforce, keeping higher wage earners at 3-hours per day... I would propose this gets paid for with more moderate inflation-paced raises for FTers, since they've raped the money pool for years -- including this one! -- anyway.

Absolutely pathetic that in 2018, a FT driver will be pulling in $100K (!) a year while a newly hired PTer will be barely earning minimum wage. Saying "well, it's just a PT job" doesn't justify this. Many argue that all menial jobs are just stepping stones into a skill driven career, and shouldn't pay much more than minimum wage. Guess what? This includes package car driving.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Absolutely pathetic that in 2018, a FT driver will be pulling in $100K (!) a year while a newly hired PTer will be barely earning minimum wage. Saying "well, it's just a PT job" doesn't justify this. Many argue that all menial jobs are just stepping stones into a skill driven career, and shouldn't pay much more than minimum wage. Guess what? This includes package car driving.[/QUOTE]

100k? I'd be lucky to make 75k this yr. Maybe a satellite area,or feeder. We are kept at 9hrs at most. In our center. Not all ft drivers make that much. Don't exaggerate

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I'll hope to find out which is true at our local meeting on the 18th. My greater hope is it doesn't change.

That would be great!
I was going off the letters mailed out earlier this year on the August 1, 2013 date.

It's not a good feeling to have financial costs increase like this when you are in retirement on a quasi-fixed income.
It's hard to plan after you pull the trigger.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Absolutely pathetic that in 2018, a FT driver will be pulling in $100K (!) a year while a newly hired PTer will be barely earning minimum wage. Saying "well, it's just a PT job" doesn't justify this. Many argue that all menial jobs are just stepping stones into a skill driven career, and shouldn't pay much more than minimum wage. Guess what? This includes package car driving.

100k? I'd be lucky to make 75k this yr. Maybe a satellite area,or feeder. We are kept at 9hrs at most. In our center. Not all ft drivers make that much. Don't exaggerate[/QUOTE]

Amazing. According to the fringe on this site every driver works 10 to 14 hours a day. I had 43 hours this week and last.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

100k? I'd be lucky to make 75k this yr. Maybe a satellite area,or feeder. We are kept at 9hrs at most. In our center. Not all ft drivers make that much. Don't exaggerate

Amazing. According to the fringe on this site every driver works 10 to 14 hours a day. I had 43 hours this week and last.

I'm not exaggerating.

This year isn't 2018. By 2018, a driver working just 40-hours per week will be pulling in close to $80,000, and would need to average less than seven hours of OT per week to reach the $100K mark. On an annual basis, I'd bet my life that the majority of drivers surpass that average.

FWIW - Less than 5% of ALL income earners in the USA earn 100K today, and that number's not expected to change much over the next 5 years.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm not exaggerating.

This year isn't 2018. By 2018, a driver working just 40-hours per week will be pulling in close to $80,000, and would need to average less than seven hours of OT per week to reach the $100K mark. On an annual basis, I'd bet my life that the majority of drivers surpass that average.

FWIW - Less than 5% of ALL income earners in the USA earn 100K today, and that number's not expected to change much over the next 5 years.

​I work 43 on the clock. I get payed for around 50 hours a week on average.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Pretty much. For what I do on my present route, I'll be highly over compensated. Who am I to argue?

For clarification, I'm not asserting that drivers are overpaid. I'm asserting that I think it's pathetic that in a union shop, the Teamsters have negotiated a contract in which FTers performing menial work will be among the top 5% of all wage earners in the USA ... while their PT counterparts will be starting at/near minimum wage. Since the new millennium, total compensation has begun decreasing despite soaring worker productivity & corporate profits (meanwhile, executive compensation is skyrocketing). This demonstrates the strength & necessity of a union in ensuring that workers are compensated fairly for the work they perform.

Nor am I asserting that PTers should earn per hour wages equivalent to FTers. I'm merely asserting that hall failed to negotiate a contract that is fair to PTers in a union shop - instead, he adjusted the starting wage to increasing minimum wages. Keeping starting/progressing wages low, keeping benefits at 12-months & keeping the guarantee at 3.5 incentives UPS to whore the PT sort out with de facto temporary, low-cost employees. So PTers seeking FT will need to work 10+ years in a low wage, low hour job that's FT physically & mentally fatiguing.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
For clarification, I'm not asserting that drivers are overpaid. I'm asserting that I think it's pathetic that in a union shop, the Teamsters have negotiated a contract in which FTers performing menial work will be among the top 5% of all wage earners in the USA ... while their PT counterparts will be starting at/near minimum wage. Since the new millennium, total compensation has begun decreasing despite soaring worker productivity & corporate profits (meanwhile, executive compensation is skyrocketing). This demonstrates the strength & necessity of a union in ensuring that workers are compensated fairly for the work they perform.

Nor am I asserting that PTers should earn per hour wages equivalent to FTers. I'm merely asserting that hall failed to negotiate a contract that is fair to PTers in a union shop - instead, he adjusted the starting wage to increasing minimum wages. Keeping starting/progressing wages low, keeping benefits at 12-months & keeping the guarantee at 3.5 incentives UPS to whore the PT sort out with de facto temporary, low-cost employees. So PTers seeking FT will need to work 10+ years in a low wage, low hour job that's FT physically & mentally fatiguing.

​A part time loader works much harder per hour than the average driver.

M

MenInBrown

I work much harder than a PT in hours 4-12 everyday...stand together and vote NO to get PT higher wages...I was there just like most everyone else and every contract PT get screwed. Also vote NO for our retirees healthcare cost...these people helped get us to where we are.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

As a part-timer, I worked 2 shifts almost every day and sometimes 3.
​Agree on that a P/T works harder than a driver - I gained 15 pounds as a driver.
Lost 20 within a year of going into management.
Unfortunately, that trend did not continue.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As a part-timer, I worked 2 shifts almost every day and sometimes 3.
​Agree on that a P/T works harder than a driver - I gained 15 pounds as a driver.
Lost 20 within a year of going into management.
Unfortunately, that trend did not continue.

​Thats why the tie barely fit on your fat neck. Lol.