Tentative Agreement

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Last - best - final

I believed that I was doing thoughtful planning when, three years ago, I switched from the "UPS Health and Welfare Plan" to the "UPS Health and Welfare Package". The new package was pitched to me as being a seamless transition with the exact same benefits when I retired--and indeed it was. The cost would be $400 per month ($200 + $200), and that is what I have been paying. It is a mute point now, since both are going away---"the best laid plans"...

With the new contract, active employees will not have to pay for their healthcare coverage--which is great. However, if I am to believe that had the union accepted UPS's proposal of $30/$60/$90, then the company would have retained control of healthcare. Since I am already paying $400, I will be happy to stay with the company plan...

I've only been retired 2 months so I have not hit any road bumps yet.
I know there will be some and they will most likely be in Healthcare.
Management healthcare has been transitioned since 1991 so we have hit our road bumps over the last 20 years.
From what I am reading here on BC (it is a bit confusing), Teamster retirees still have a much better plan than management.
​My out-of-pocket will be north of $5000 this year.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
No, your brothers settled for the good of themselves. It's a different world than in 1997. Today, FedEx Ground and oodles of local courier services, as well as Parcel Select middlemen, provide a viable option to UPS -- and as the clocked ticked toward the contract expiration, shippers wouldn't hesitate to move toward these other carriers. Unfortunately, the public isn't going to be on the side of a UPS driver who turned down a contract that would pay him nearly $100,000K per year by 2018 alongside full, no-cost health & welfare benefits. Even if we were forced to strike, I doubt we would've earned a significantly better contract, and a strike would've come at a cost of thousands of Teamster jobs (as shippers who defected aren't likely to return).

I'm confident the contract will pass, but I will symbolically vote no since I believe it favors FT while once again shafting the PTers.

I'm. Sorry bagels there is no way in hell. That 3.90 $ is gonna make me 100k. In 5 yrs. It is a NO vote for me. I think it should be 1$ a yr for all. The driver is the face of the company. No one sees the part time loader. Management isn't either. Yes,the pt work force busts ass. The driver has to deal with management whims. Hoops jumps and other bulls#!t. Then we get to our truck. Have to play hide and seek all day looking for houses. Also,play the same in the truck. Because or loaders are different every day. So I need to spend 15 to 20 mins sorting. Just to know where the crap is. Very few make that much. The paid day is getting shorter. With every contract. Too bad the union isn't for the workers anymore. It's for political gain now. Its for the cash cow. Our tax moneys.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'm. Sorry bagels there is no way in hell. That 3.90 $ is gonna make me 100k. In 5 yrs. It is a NO vote for me. I think it should be 1$ a yr for all. The driver is the face of the company. No one sees the part time loader. Management isn't either. Yes,the pt work force busts ass. The driver has to deal with management whims. Hoops jumps and other bulls#!t. Then we get to our truck. Have to play hide and seek all day looking for houses. Also,play the same in the truck. Because or loaders are different every day. So I need to spend 15 to 20 mins sorting. Just to know where the crap is. Very few make that much. The paid day is getting shorter. With every contract. Too bad the union isn't for the workers anymore. It's for political gain now. Its for the cash cow. Our tax moneys.

LOL, are you kidding me?

(1) Unless you're a member of a local that's relinquished a portion on past raises, then yes, the $3.90 will push you toward $100K by 2018.

(2) If you believe you're worthy of $100K but your PT loader should make minimum wage just because you're the face of the company, then you really need to study the concept of internal vs. external consumers.

(3) If you believe your loader is worthy of minimum wage because your load is crap, then maybe you should rally behind higher wages for PT workers. Given PT workers a higher wage & 4-hour guarantee will lead to a higher quality workforce, vs. the whoever accept the job process we have now.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
overtime is coming to an end or will atleast be cut in half with the next 2 yrs. 100k will be far out of reach!

LOL! Even with the OT, it's much cheaper to work two drivers 60-hours each than it is to work 3 drivers 40-hours each.

In 2018, drivers will need to average less than 7 hours per week of OT to reach the 100K mark (and this is not factoring into route bonuses). Thus, the overwhelming majority of drivers will hit the 100K mark in 2018.

rudy5150

You just proved my point. Cover drivers are goin to gain super senority over full timers which will give the guys making $18 an hour tons of OT and the full timers only guarenteed 40hrs a week

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You just proved my point. Cover drivers are goin to gain super senority over full timers which will give the guys making $18 an hour tons of OT and the full timers only guarenteed 40hrs a week

​You are dead wrong but I like the thought. We probably have 8 drivers still on progression and I stil get close to 50 a week.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
LOL, are you kidding me?

(1) Unless you're a member of a local that's relinquished a portion on past raises, then yes, the $3.90 will push you toward $100K by 2018.

(2) If you believe you're worthy of $100K but your PT loader should make minimum wage just because you're the face of the company, then you really need to study the concept of internal vs. external consumers.

(3) If you believe your loader is worthy of minimum wage because your load is crap, then maybe you should rally behind higher wages for PT workers. Given PT workers a higher wage & 4-hour guarantee will lead to a higher quality workforce, vs. the whoever accept the job process we have now.

1-Yes my local did take my raises. Will never get them back.

2- Will be lucky to make 80k. In the 5yr contract. Especially if Ups is allowed to get this POS contract. With a chance of ot cut outs

3-I never said in any post. That pt should get minimum wage. Pt can own any contract. Maybe you should focus on your fellow pt workforce. Stop whining and blaming the ft driver. When pt cant even get 20% to vote. Look in your mirror and point. You will find your answer.
Oh btw- loading cant get much easier as it is now. A task the now a day loader cant seem to grasp. Just saying;-)

RealPerson

LOL, are you kidding me?

(3) Exactly.. I never heard people complain about loads 18 years ago when starting wage was double Min wage.

didyousheetit

Re: contract approval

Good analogy! My doctor once told me that it doesnt matter how perfectly you lift every box, or how gently you walk in and out of that package car.... eventually all that repetitive motion will wear down your joints, faster than old age will.
please report to work an hour early monday you need to watch the safety videos again, you don't seem to understand them.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I never said in any post. That pt should get minimum wage. Pt can own any contract. Maybe you should focus on your fellow pt workforce. Stop whining and blaming the ft driver. When pt cant even get 20% to vote. Look in your mirror and point. You will find your answer.
Oh btw- loading cant get much easier as it is now. A task the now a day loader cant seem to grasp. Just saying;-)

Loading easy? When I first hired in, I loaded between 400-500 pieces over the course of a 4-hour shift. Now I'm expected to load up to 1250 over 3.5. In lieu of laying off the bottom people, my facility allowed drivers who wanted to work PT at top rate to do so on the Preload. The same guys who tell us how good we have it would last a day then go back to driving the next day...

Nonetheless, there are probably less PTers eligible to vote than there are FTers, due to RTW laws. It's difficult for somebody making $8.50/hour -- who may not be working every day to start with -- to join the union at a cost of $200 + $17/month.

Still stunned at the number of drivers set to earn 100K -- making them among the top 5% wage earners in this country, for a menial job most anybody could do (for 100K) -- alongside no-cost health & welfare benefits &!$#$ and moan it isn't enough. I could understand being upset with the amount of OT FTers are working, harassment, etc. But no, they're focusing on financials.

didyousheetit

Re: Last - best - final

Retired means not working..

The only thing that sorta bugs me about you....Is that no matter what...You always have that management mentality and I guess you always will answer that way. You were programed so long ago it is hard to shake, like a bad accent..I myself always bucked mgnt when it came to common sense and doing the right things for the customer.. But many above made decisions that made no sense making our service really look bad at times when I knew, and many others knew that service is what builit this company, no product to sell just service. Where did Service go? Just ask any senior driver, or the guys at the board meetings who call the shots just like war games not really experiencing the line of fire faced daily outside the hubs.. BTW lets move on :peaceful:

like I tell the customers It's called united parcel service. Service is at the end of our name so, it's the last thing your going to get!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Loading easy? When I first hired in, I loaded between 400-500 pieces over the course of a 4-hour shift. Now I'm expected to load up to 1250 over 3.5.

Hmmmm ... 125 pph - holy cow! A new hire should be able to do that on their first day ... easily.
That's 1 package every 30 seconds.
Did you mean on your first day when you said, "When I first hired in ...".

300 - 400 pph is a reasonable rate for a trailer loader in 1 or 2 trailers.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Nonetheless, there are probably less PTers eligible to vote than there are FTers, due to RTW laws. It's difficult for somebody making $8.50/hour -- who may not be working every day to start with -- to join the union at a cost of $200 + $17/month.

I think its ridiculous that the union charges initiation fees like that to a low paying job with few hours. I saw a Preloader's paper timecard printout Friday morning, he barely had 15 hours all week. Maybe the union could increase membership if they dropped those fees, but they are more interested in a buck.

Amazes me too at my fellow drivers griping about paying a tiny co-pay to see a doctor or something. Some of the people on here act like we live under a caste system or something in this country. You got people yelling for a strike like their world is coming to an end. A lot of MEsters everywhere, and they think its alright to screw over their part time "Brothers" that they probably won't even look in their face.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Hmmmm ... 125 pph - holy cow! A new hire should be able to do that on their first day ... easily.

Come on Hoax you know damn well he means a 3 or 4 truck pull, not loading a trailer. Please guy, I am trying to respect you but damn if you don't make it hard!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

I'm referring to package car loading, not trailer loading. For the first couple years of my career, 400-500 per 4 to 4.5-hour shift was normal. I don't know if this was "normal" systemwide -- we had a pair of huge dump stops, one that was a returns center (moved to a hub) that would receive 2000-3000 pieces per day, and another was a major corporation that received over 1000 envelopes per day (now FedEx stop). Most of the volume for both stops was pre-sorted in forever bags ... a FT sup use to whine & cry that because of these stops, we had it easy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Come on Hoax you know damn well he means a 3 or 4 truck pull, not loading a trailer. Please guy, I am trying to respect you but damn if you don't make it hard!

Hmmmm ... preload then.
From a boxline, slide or belt?

I assumed it was hub because a preloader is usually around 180 - 220 PPH.
I never observed anyone pulling 325 PPH.
I still don't know what type of operation he is referring to.