Terrorism on American Soil - Texas Massacre in the House of God

newfie

Do you think it would be a good idea? To maintain a foid card you have to check in say every 6 months or a year for ongoing training. Make sure gun owners maintain a certain proficiency with their weapons to continue to legally own them. At some point we take the drivers license from Grandpa.

to solve what problem? how many deaths are there from someone losing their proficiency?

It will be fine

to solve what problem? how many deaths are there from someone losing their proficiency?
I don't know. I'm thinking more of a check to be sure gun owners remain physically and mentally able to handle a weapon. I'm looking for something we could agree on. You guys don't want any changes huh?

rod

Retired 22 years
How is the current system working? What solution do you propose that doesn't involve legislation or are mass shootings a fair price to pay for you?
To begin with they closed all the in house mental illness hospitals and turned the residents loose to fend for themselves. BIG mistake. We had a State Hospital near us that had probably 20 three story brick buildings that houses hundreds of mentally challenged people. It was all bulldozed to the ground and half the residents were turned loose and the other half put it in group homes where they pretty much have the run of the town also. For the safety of society a lot of these people need put in a secured place. More mental health restrictions and secured facilities and less NEW gun laws for a start.

It will be fine

And how would deciding whether they are mentally able to handle a weapon look in practice?
I haven't thought this one through too much to be honest. I would think showing up for their check, maybe passing a written exam to determine if they are losing faculty. Just a way to trigger a more thorough check if something seems off. Old billy bob starts hearing voices maybe someone should take a closer look and hang to his AR while things get sorted out. I think anyone that feels the need to be armed going to the grocery store is crazy to begin with so I wouldn't make a good judge.

It will be fine

To begin with they closed all the in house mental illness hospitals and turned the residents loose to fend for themselves. BIG mistake. We had a State Hospital near us that had probably 20 three story brick buildings that houses hundreds of mentally challenged people. It was all bulldozed to the ground and half the residents were turned loose and the other half put it in group homes where they pretty much have the run of the town also. For the safety of society a lot of these people need put in a secured place. More mental health restrictions and secured facilities and less NEW gun laws for a start.
Mental health definitely needs work in this country. Unfortunately the vegas shooter would have passed any normal evaluation of mental health. That leaves the guns as the problem.

bbsam

Staff member
I haven't thought this one through too much to be honest. I would think showing up for their check, maybe passing a written exam to determine if they are losing faculty. Just a way to trigger a more thorough check if something seems off. Old billy bob starts hearing voices maybe someone should take a closer look and hang to his AR while things get sorted out. I think anyone that feels the need to be armed going to the grocery store is crazy to begin with so I wouldn't make a good judge.
I think a view of one's internet history might come into play, Facebook and twitter activity etc.

bbsam

Staff member
You might feel differently if you lived in a city where 1 out of 100 people is a victim of violent crime every year.
I might but I'd have to dig deeper into those statistics. I've been all over the city of Chicago and only once felt the slightest bit of fear of physical harm.

bbsam

Staff member
But those homes are expensive to build and run.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I might but I'd have to dig deeper into those statistics. I've been all over the city of Chicago and only once felt the slightest bit of fear of physical harm.
Chicago isn't even close to the top of the list. I've never understood why Chicago is a wet dream talking point for right wing nuts, I guess they're just bad at math. You'll notice UPS and Fed Ex headquarters are pretty high up there though.
List of United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia

bbsam

Staff member

over9five

Staff member
News is saying the Air Force dropped the ball. He shouldnt have been able to have guns. Air Force didnt report his status to the national database..

rod

Retired 22 years
I had an old neighbor who sighed up to be a group home. The government paid to have his house all updated with handicap facilities and a new larger septic system. 5 years later he says no more. He got thousands of dollars worth of upgrades done to his property for nothing and the most clients he ever had at his house was 3.