Terrorists

El Correcto

god is dead
They were ready to surrender.
It might not have been unconditional, but they would have given up without an invasion. The bombs weren't exactly necessary.

That being said, someone was going to drop one at some point, you don't spend that kind of money and hold that kind of power without exerting it. The real goal was to show the world our power and instill fear. So, glad it was us I guess.
They killed Americans on American soil. They got a slap on the wrist in my opinion. My vote would of been on continue fire bombing and nuking them until there wasn’t a jap left on that island.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They killed Americans on American soil. They got a slap on the wrist in my opinion. My vote would of been on continue fire bombing and nuking them until there wasn’t a jap left on that island.
I don't like that the second bomb was dropped, but I don't have a problem with the way things turned out.

El Correcto

god is dead
I don't like that the second bomb was dropped, but I like the way things turned out.
You’re right the bombs didn’t even cause their surrender and they would of surrendered because of the soviets.

I just don’t like how idiots begin the conversation with America nuked Japan. Japan started it. Also japan was a huge :censored2: during that time.

rickyb

You’re right the bombs didn’t even cause their surrender and they would of surrendered because of the soviets.

I just don’t like how idiots begin the conversation with America nuked Japan. Japan started it. Also japan was a huge :censored2: during that time.
US started it with sanctions.

Box Ox

US started it with sanctions.

What did Japan do in 1937 that resulted in Japanese trade restrictions? I'll tell you in my next post if you're not sure.

And have you always believed that launching a surprise attack that kills thousands of people is a valid response to trade restrictions on one's country?

rickyb

chomsky says its up for debate but its the impending invasion of the russians which convinced japanese war hawks to surrender.

howard zinn says it was a great myth that we saved lives dropping hte nukes. says japanese were about to surrender. he says if your in favor of ending hte war more quickly by killing 100,000s of japanese, would you likewise be in favor of killing 100,000s of americans to end the war more quickly? the answer is no.

paul jay and gar alperovitz believe most historians agree the nukes were unnecessary.