Terrorists

rickyb

CIA director talking and uneasy laughter after he says the last line. this is something straight out of 1984 the way he talks.

MIKE POMPEO: Any time you have a country of—as large and with the economic capacity of a country like Venezuela, America has a deep interest in making sure that it is stable and as democratic as possible. And so, we’re working hard to do that. I’m always careful when we talk about South and Central America and the CIA. There’s a lot of stories. So, I want to be careful with what I say.

rickyb

hey how come the so called conservatives here dont report on this. could it be that when a muslim is terrorized by a christian it doesnt get the same coverage as when a christian is terrorized by a muslim.

and of course you can completely forget about mainstream media making the connection between government violence and terrorism. dont worry, rickybobby will do that for you.

In Minnesota, the Dar Al-Farooq Islamic Center in Bloomington was bombed on Saturday, in an act that Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton has condemned as terrorism. The explosive device was thrown through the mosque office’s window around 5 a.m. as people were gathering for morning prayers. No one was injured, but the bombing shattered windows and damaged the office. Most of the mosque’s worshipers are members of suburban Minneapolis’s Somali community. The FBI has taken over the investigation. President Trump has not said anything about the attack. Islamophobic attacks against Muslims and mosques across the United States have been rising since President Trump was elected. This is Hamdy El-Sawaf, president of the Islamic Community Center of Minnesota.

Hamdy El-Sawaf: "We assure those who do not have the consciousness of who we are, we will never come to our knees in front of them. We will keep resisting to assure that the value of this country are in the highest level ever. It cannot be perpetrated by one individual or a group of people or a group of terrorists. We’re here all together in order to defend the values of our country, the values of our faith, the values of our people."

rickyb

so i dont think its right to be opposed to terrorism, theres a time and a place when "violence for political means" (the definition) is justified although im not sure when.

its wrong to kill civilians like the 9/11 attacks or US nuking japan or shooting in vietnam or some of the things ISIS is doing.

its also probably true that violence should only be used in self defense.

its a good thing to be politically engaged.

It will be fine

so i dont think its right to be opposed to terrorism, theres a time and a place when "violence for political means" (the definition) is justified although im not sure when.

its wrong to kill civilians like the 9/11 attacks or US nuking japan or shooting in vietnam or some of the things ISIS is doing.

its also probably true that violence should only be used in self defense.

its a good thing to be politically engaged.
Putting 9/11 alongside nuking Japan is stupid. The bombs and credible use of more ended WW2. Civilian death tolls would have been greater if we invaded island by island.

rickyb

Putting 9/11 alongside nuking Japan is stupid. The bombs and credible use of more ended WW2. Civilian death tolls would have been greater if we invaded island by island.
i heard the nuke was unnecessary and frankly it wouldnt suprise me.

ill check out some sources and respond here...either way its a good example of terrorism.

rickyb

If it's violent? It's war, there isn't a peaceful version. You can't make a point about terrorism or war for that matter, if you refuse to see the distinction. They are not synonyms.
yea thats why america is called the leading terrorist state because your always at war. i know howard zinn has mentioned this so ill quote him for you.

rickyb

If it's violent? It's war, there isn't a peaceful version. You can't make a point about terrorism or war for that matter, if you refuse to see the distinction. They are not synonyms.
so he makes a distinction in this article but he also says this. im less familiar with the definition of war than i am with terrorism so ill check it out too:

Since war is itself the most extreme form of terrorism, a war on terrorism is profoundly self-contradictory. Is it strange, or normal, that no major political figure has pointed this out? - howard zinn

Our War on Terrorism | HowardZinn.org

rickyb

Ben Norton‏Verified account @BenjaminNorton 11h11 hours ago

On this day in 1953, the US and UK violently overthrew Iran's elected government on behalf of oil corporations

DHl67HJUwAAk3zy.jpg

HISTORYVerified account @HISTORY
On #ThisDayinHistory 1953, A CIA backed coup overthrows the Iranian government. CIA-assisted coup overthrows government of Iran - Aug 19, 1953 - HISTORY.com

rickyb

in this interview, the king compares american invasion of iraq to sauron. and he is of course right; no one tops US government terrorism.

rickyb

reminder: when the rebels blow up the death star, they are committing an act of terrorism. when neo shoots at the agents in matrix, he is committing an act of terrorism. when brad pitt blows up property in fight club, he is committing an act of terrorism.

when obama dropped 26500 bombs in 2016, he is committing acts of terrorism. ditto for previous presidents, and trump. when i cop attacks a non violent union striker or protestor who is following the law, the cop is committing an act of terrorism.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
reminder: when the rebels blow up the death star, they are committing an act of terrorism. when neo shoots at the agents in matrix, he is committing an act of terrorism. when brad pitt blows up property in fight club, he is committing an act of terrorism.

when obama dropped 26500 bombs in 2016, he is committing acts of terrorism. ditto for previous presidents, and trump. when i cop attacks a non violent union striker or protestor who is following the law, the cop is committing an act of terrorism.
Terrorism is the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

rickyb

Terrorism is the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
i usually just go by the google definition. heres chomsky, and ill post some definitions from people i respect. chomskys definition here is the same as the google one.

Noam Chomsky: “What is Terrorism?”
That brings us back to the question, what is terror
ism? I have been assuming we understand
it. Well, what is it? Well, there happen to be some
easy answers to this. There is an official
definition. You can find it in the US code or in US
army manuals. A brief statement of it taken
from a US army manual is, fair enough, is that terr
or is the calculated use of violence or the
threat of violence to attain political or religious
ideological goals through intimidation,
coercion, or instilling fear.
That’s terrorism. Tha
t’s a fair enough definition. I think it is
reasonable to accept that.

rickyb

ralph nader summarizes US governments acts of terrorism in iraq:

Mr. Bush committed sociocide against that country’s twenty-seven million people. Over 1 million innocent Iraqi civilians lost their lives, in addition to millions sick and injured. Refugees have reached five million and growing. He destroyed critical public services and sparked sectarian massacres—massive war crimes, which in turn produce ever-expanding blowbacks.

Ralph Nader: Stephen Harper is selling the politics of fear

rickyb

i couldnt find one from nader but he does mention state terrorism aka wars since 1900.

heres more of an explanation from howard zinn. hes talking about US government:

"and by sending in tanks and planes to bomb and terrorize whoever lives within that circle.

...I believe that the American people’s natural compassion would come to the fore if they truly understood that we are terrorizing other people by our “war on terror.”

Let us begin by recognizing that terrorist acts–the killing of innocent people to achieve some desired goal..."

rickyb

glen greenwald talks about the definition of terrorism. this is hilarious what the FBI labelled it as because its very similar to 9/11 and ive heard about this guy before. so hes a white guy who flew his plane into the IRS building as a protest, and greenwald writes:

"the FBI continued to insist it “was handling the case ‘as a criminal matter of an assault on a federal officer’ and that it was not being considered as an act of terror.”"

...That is the crucial backdrop for yesterday’s debate over whether the term “terrorism” applies to the heinous shooting by a white nationalist of nine African-Americans praying in a predominantly black church in Charleston, South Carolina. Almost immediately, news reports indicated there was “no sign of terrorism” — by which they meant: it does not appear that the shooter is Muslim.

...almost nothing about this attack had the classic hallmarks of “terrorism.” In the days and weeks that followed, it became clear that Zehaf-Bibeau suffered from serious mental illness and “seemed to have become mentally unstable.” He had a history of arrests for petty offenses and had received psychiatric treatment. His friends recall him expressing no real political views but instead claiming he was possessed by the devil. The Canadian government was ultimately forced to admit that their prior media claim about him preparing to go to Syria was totally false, dismissing it as “a mistake.” Now that Canadians know the truth about him — rather than the mere fact that he’s Muslim and committed violence — a plurality no longer believe the “terrorist” label applies, but believe the attack was motivated by mental illness."

glenn continues sarcastically:
"The U.S. can call its invasion of Baghdad “Shock and Awe” as a classic declaration of terrorism intent, or fly killer drones permanently over terrorized villages and cities, or engage in generation-lasting atrocities in Fallujah, or arm and fund Israeli and Saudi destruction of helpless civilian populations, and none of that, of course, can possibly be called “terrorism.” It just has the wrong perpetrators and the wrong victims."

more:
"Ample scholarship proves that the term “terrorism” is empty, definition-free and invariably manipulated. Harvard’s Lisa Stampnitzky has documented “the inability of researchers to establish a suitable definition of the concept of ‘terrorism’ itself.” The concept of “terrorism” is fundamentally plagued by ideological agendas and self-interested manipulation, as Professor Richard Jackson at the the National Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies in New Zealand has explained: “most of what is accepted as well-founded ‘knowledge’ in terrorism studies is, in fact, highly debatable and unstable” and is “biased towards Western state priorities.” Remi Brulin is a scholar who specializes in the discourse of “terrorism” and has long documented that, from the start, it was a highly manipulated term of propaganda more than it was a term of fixed meaning — largely intended to justify violence by the West and Israel while delegitimizing the violence of its enemies."

rickyb

part of hte google definition of terror:

ter·ror
ˈterər/
noun
noun: terror; plural noun: terrors; noun: holy terror; plural noun: holy terrors
extreme fear.
"people fled in terror"
synonyms: extreme fear, dread, horror, fear and trembling, fright, alarm, panic
"she screamed in terror"
the use of terror to intimidate people, especially for political reasons; terrorism.