Thank you cares act!!!! 401k is mine

It’s very tempting only because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. This will never happen again. Where the govt says, you can take money out of your 401K, any age. No proof of hardship. Nothing. Answer a few questions that will never be looked into. And pay no penalty. Just taxes.
And all that tax money you paid could have stayed in the market for decades and made big gains.

ManInBrown

And all that tax money you paid could have stayed in the market for decades and made big gains.
Yeah and also not make big gains. Nothing is promised. I know people that retired around 2009 during the housing crash and took a beating. Got nervous and pulled their entire balance out and lost 100s of thousands of dollars. You have to think the Cares Act is allowing people that normally would have never been able to, to purchase homes. It’s not easy saving up 40K-50K. I live in an area where it’s a fortune to own. I can’t afford to buy something and pay $15,000 a year in property taxes.

Yeah and also not make big gains. Nothing is promised. I know people that retired around 2009 during the housing crash and took a beating. Got nervous and pulled their entire balance out and lost 100s of thousands of dollars. You have to think the Cares Act is allowing people that normally would have never been able to, to purchase homes. It’s not easy saving up 40K-50K. I live in an area where it’s a fortune to own. I can’t afford to buy something and pay $15,000 a year in property taxes.
Then maybe you should put less in your 401k and more in your bank account

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Why does everyone want to pull their money out of the 401k?
In my case, I can’t contribute to it anymore, and I’d like to be able to put a down payment on another house and rent out my current one. Window of opportunity to do this without 10% penalty, plus it’s all UPS stock so it’s higher than its ever been. It’s the smaller of my two 401Ks and I’m keeping my Teamster Prudential one.

In my case, I can’t contribute to it anymore, and I’d like to be able to put a down payment on another house and rent out my current one. Window of opportunity to do this without 10% penalty, plus it’s all UPS stock so it’s higher than its ever been. It’s the smaller of my two 401Ks and I’m keeping my Teamster Prudential one.
Good luck to

babboo25

Banned
Who wants to wait til 59 1/2 though, life is too short. I’d rather put $ in an IRA and have access anytime I want, yes u may pay taxes but I like the freedom.

Johney

Just made the call. Pulling out my pre-tax contributions. The last little nugget is Roth and the cares act doesn’t apply so I’ll leave it in as UPS stock for a post-retirement vacation fund...or to get my wife’s tits done.
Pretty much every guy I know who bought his wife tits she left him not to far after.

Overpaid Union Thug

And lose the power of compounding over time for their 401k.
Slightly different topic but that is exactly what I can’t get through to a buddy of mine. He has taken out quite a few substantial “loans” against his 401k over the years. Not for emergencies. Not for anything most people would consider worthy of raiding their nest egg for. Only to buy cars and a few other odds and ends. He justifies it by saying “it’s the best way to borrow money cause you’re paying yourself back with interest.