THE DISHONEST DRIVER. We all have them.

Rebrak24

Does anyone recognize another driver running better numbers on the same route? Do you suspect them creating extra stops, unscheduled pickups? I can not stand seeing proof of when they get multiple stops from one physical stop. For example: one stop, eight boxes. He shows in the Diad he went to Human Resources, a lab, the dock and another suite. But in all honesty he dropped them all at shipping/receiving, got a signature and pre-recorded those " additional stops". This is stealing time! This practice leads to dispatch managers creating a higher stop count but the same planned day for the honest driver.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have a stone quarry on my route where the garage is a quarter mile away from the office/scales. I deliver parts to the garage (and indicate it as garage) and office supplies to the office. Two stops. Am I dishonest?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does anyone recognize another driver running better numbers on the same route? Do you suspect them creating extra stops, unscheduled pickups? I can not stand seeing proof of when they get multiple stops from one physical stop. For example: one stop, eight boxes. He shows in the Diad he went to Human Resources, a lab, the dock and another suite. But in all honesty he dropped them all at shipping/receiving, got a signature and pre-recorded those " additional stops". This is stealing time! This practice leads to dispatch managers creating a higher stop count but the same planned day for the honest driver.

This is padding stops pure and simple. This is why UPS added "dup com" and "dup res" to the DIAD. He can sheet and prerecord all of these "stops" and then hit "left at com" for the first one and "dup com" for the other stops. This would be like making all apt bldg deliveries directly to the office without attempting at each apt yet taking credit for each apt.

I have a stone quarry on my route where the garage is a quarter mile away from the office/scales. I deliver parts to the garage (and indicate it as garage) and office supplies to the office. Two stops. Am I dishonest?

No.

tracker2762

Sooner or later these dishonest drivers always get caught. There are too many reports being looked at to hide this stuff.
Our center has had a few drivers suspended for months because of adding miles and stops. In the long run it's not worth it and eventually they will get their just dues. In the end the ones they really let down are their fellow workers but most of all their family. Not good

ddomino

Remember long ago when you were trained. You were told to get the customers to help you out. If I could get a dock receiver to sign for three DIFFERENT (not affiliated, not just a different name) companies and then he deliver to the actual consignee that it IS/WAS 3 stops. Now they want to say you should be honest and only take credit for what you are really doing. You should look at your day as a bill to UPS. Bill them for what you actually do. So now I get each company to sign. Also if I have to go back for a package that was loaded wrong (won't do if my error) or customer says can you come back (at normal pick up time), that is now another stop. I am billing for what I am doing. Some may say this is stealing, but I think it also falls under what I was told.

Would like to know whats happening in other parts of the country. I'm in the North-East part of the USA.

tieguy

Banned

Did he have the same customer sign it four different times?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did he have the same customer sign it four different times?

Tie, what he did was sheet and prerecord each stop. Once he has them all recorded, you do what is called a multiple left at. You select either "left at com" or "left at res" based on whether the stop is com or res. He gets one signature, clarifies, and puts where he left the pkgs. Four stops for the price of one--textbook stop padding.

UpsguyDGAF

you can also prerecord NDA as long is its not "Signature Required" then do LC and deliver after 1030 and it wont show late. Alot of guys have been doing this for years. I get beat by 2 hours everyday and it pisses me off MGT always asks "What the hell happened" and I look like a lazy driver when Im working as fast as possible. So what do i do if this is the case at my center??

upsgrunt

I'm not taking either side, but area knowledge is a driver's friend. If that legit shortcut saves time, then it's a feather in the driver's hat. If the other stops are legit, why not take credit for them? If they are made up, no way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

you can also prerecord NDA as long is its not "Signature Required" then do LC and deliver after 1030 and it wont show late. Alot of guys have been doing this for years. I get beat by 2 hours everyday and it pisses me off MGT always asks "What the hell happened" and I look like a lazy driver when Im working as fast as possible. So what do i do if this is the case at my center??

I'm confused--falsifying records and you being 2 hours over have nothing to do with one another.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not taking either side, but area knowledge is a driver's friend. If that legit shortcut saves time, then it's a feather in the driver's hat. If the other stops are legit, why not take credit for them? If they are made up, no way.

In the above example, all of the packages were for the same company with the same address. Any way you slice it is padding stops.

upsgrunt

Same company, same address, DIFFERENT delivery points. The Walmart I deliver to has several business all with the same address. If the only inside stop I have is Subway, the dock receiver will sign for it. I see no padding to it as long as the OP is not making up the different delivery points.

tieguy

Banned
In the above example, all of the packages were for the same company with the same address. Any way you slice it is padding stops.

I admit I'm rusty with some aspects of package. same address / same company makes sense.

what if you have multiple stops at an apartment building and the doorman signs for all of them. count the stops multiple or single?

upsgrunt

I admit I'm rusty with some aspects of package. same address / same company makes sense.

what if you have multiple stops at an apartment building and the doorman signs for all of them. count the stops multiple or single?

If you attempt each single stop and then leave with the doorman they count. If you just go in the door and get him to sign, then it's one stop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's say you have six pkgs for 6 apts. If you attempt each pkg at each apt, no one is home at any of them and you bring them all to the doorman you would get credit for 7 stops. If the doorman is instructed to sign for all deliveries you would only get credit for 1 stop.

bumped

I'm in a center that doesn't have bonus. We have a situation where there are 3 buildings connected to each other with an office at one location. I know for years each stop is prerecorded seperately and taken to the office. None of the center manager's ever cared that it was done that way, because it looks good on paper. Its not my route, but years ago I did coverage for it. Again, no bonus, so no one cares.

I have a military installation on my route. The entire installation has one physical address, but with different building numbers. At one time, the main receiving location took all the stops for all the buildings. At that point it was one stop. Then they decided all packages had to be delivered to each building by the carrier. That is when they became individual stops. Been that way ever since.

DS

Fenderbender
They have not bothered me about overallowed for about 10 years now,although I run over 150 every day.Everything I learned about properly sheeting dup stops,I learned here in the BC.If a business has 2 locations where everything gets delivered
to one address I hit dup for the 2nd one.If I find a missort and have to go back,I hit dup.
I get paid either way so why try to look better?
In my opinion the worst dishonest thing a driver can do is actually steal,and I have seen at least 5 people in my day walked out in handcuffs.
Awhile ago we had a center manager that was sending guys home for missed scans.I found out how to scan multiple labels on a box the right way and I'll share it here for when it happens to you.
Scan the REAL label,hold down the shift key and scan every old bogus label and an asterisk will show beside it.
Back to the topic now:)
If you think you can steal from ups you deserve what you get.