The FedEx Ground Threat

TUT

Can you say scab labor??

Do you know the definition?

What I find interesting is UPS's profit margin loser is Ground and Fedex's profit margin loser is Exrpess. Both companies mainstays, it tells me it's a lot like gov't management we like to attack. The longer the history, the more fat it becomes to the point the "newer" offerings are more profitable then the ole staples.

Maybe Im not as fast as I used to be..(but my numbers are still pretty good) The only difference between me and the young guys is................Im not smashing up package cars,...getting injured, or taking packages to the wrong house!!!!!!!!!Do you ever watch the news? Almost everytime u read or hear about is a bad bus or truck accident....Its usually some rookie fresh out of the 2 day driving school!!!!You only get what you pay for... THE Training and experience...there is no replacement for that!!! RUN RUN FAST AS YOU CAN...CANT CATCH ME IM THE GINGERBREAD MAN!! just ask the fox!!!

TUT

I will repeat what I have said before. I have been hiring drivers for 18 years for Ground. I have never had a problem getting qualified drivers in a good economy or a bad economy. What about keeping them? Do I want drivers staying around for 30 years? Not sure on that one. Might want to keep them "young and hungry".

bbsam, would you also say you are very open and supportive when a driver wants to move on to something better for them? Because this is what I see more then not, the employer isn't trying to get you in for 30 years and bleed you for 30.

They understand where the job ranks in terms of pay and prestige for lack of a better word. Sure they don't want you to work 2 weeks and fly, but many that I've spoke to hope their employees do better themselves over time and not look at a level entry'ish type job as a career job. UPS is setup as a career job (still, could change), Express maybe not, if you don't look to continue to climb. Ground driver most likely not. That is ok, these aren't college educated jobs, these aren't the jobs you dream your child having, they are important however, but in non-union setups they are jobs you should be looking at as a stepping stone.

Reading Express employee remarks, I know they've felt they've been lied to, but you are acting as a dinosaur, expecting nothing to ever change that could affect you, that is yet another reason why union protections exist. It's a mis-calc on the drivers end, because for the plan to work, it assumed no market changes ever and increased volume forever. That did not happen, thus a change, thus you feel betrayed.

I would agree in a ponies and rainbows world, getting any job and holding it, the return would pay a very nice liveable wage for life would be ideal. But then there is living in true realities and adjust accordingly. Some drivers don't want to fight for a better working deal or challenge themselves to expand their skills, that has been stated already in this thread. If you feel robbed, then you Fedex Driver need to step up and do something, I still suggest personal betterment, I think that is a much better bet for YOU.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Can you say scab labor?? I can and we are the best of the best. You CAN'T compare. It's your business model. We bleed brown=we bleed service. It's what we sell bro and know matter what you read on this forum we all bleed service. Pride it's what we ALL have. Upser

Gid bless

Pride means zero when you are making (bad) decisions at the corporate level.

bbsam

Staff member
Everybody who isn't the best always hates the best. As stupid as corporate ups seems they are always three steps ahead. They will cut everyone's throat.
LOL. Take the passion out of it. There is no hate. You have marketshare that we want and we intend to take it and keep it. Simple.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In the end its really come down to pricing power. UPS has raised its rate without appreciable volume lost. It running a far more efficient system than FDX. Its cost are competitive and its service is unmatched.

I've talk to many a FDX ground drive and to a person are only doing the job until a better one comes along. Nobody see the job as a career and there customers know it too. UPS's number one advantage are its driver who take ownership of there routes. When asked in customers surveys UPS driver are the biggest reason people choose the service. Its the above and beyond attention to customers needs that FDX ground will never have with there current business model.

They compete on price point period. Wal-Mart thought they would rule the world with there "always low prices" model. Target, Macy's, and many other retailers do just fine or better sell up rather than reaching DOWN.

EOM.

Problem is target actually had lower prices on most stuff than wal mart.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
it isn't. But that doesn't mean MFE wouldn't like to see UPS and the Teamsters spend alot of foolish money on it.

Foolish money? Hardly. The point wasn't that UPS and the IBT will correct FedEx Ground wages/no benefits. It was that UPS and the IBT need to spend money to fight the potentially illegal Ground model, thereby protecting their own market share and corporate health.

Sounds like you're trying to muddy the waters. Wonder why that is?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Foolish money? Hardly. The point wasn't that UPS and the IBT will correct FedEx Ground wages/no benefits. It was that UPS and the IBT need to spend money to fight the potentially illegal Ground model, thereby protecting their own market share and corporate health. Sounds like you're trying to muddy the waters. Wonder why that is?
Potentially illegal?!?!?!? I think almost all of us can agree its illegal. Politicians apparently are the ones who think its legal.

TUT

Potentially illegal?!?!?!? I think almost all of us can agree its illegal. Politicians apparently are the ones who think its legal.

Interesting. The reality though is the politicians are the one's creating what is legal and what is not. Today it is legal, you accepting that or not, no difference. Almost all of us should agree it is in fact legal, because it is. Is it the best decision overall? That is another question.

bbsam

Staff member
Foolish money? Hardly. The point wasn't that UPS and the IBT will correct FedEx Ground wages/no benefits. It was that UPS and the IBT need to spend money to fight the potentially illegal Ground model, thereby protecting their own market share and corporate health.

Sounds like you're trying to muddy the waters. Wonder why that is?
not at all. It was posted earlier that UPS and the Teamsters have been down this road before. How much of THEIR money would YOU like them to spend on YOUR goals?