The FedEx Ground Threat

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
not at all. It was posted earlier that UPS and the Teamsters have been down this road before. How much of THEIR money would YOU like them to spend on YOUR goals?

My goals and theirs are the same....keeping the Ground scam under control and creating an environment where Ground drivers get decent wages and benefits. When they are paid decently, Fred's advantage is undermined. What other transportation company gets to "compete" in sucg a rigged marketplace. The answer is "nobody"....except Fred S.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The Market ? When was the last divedend posted by Fred-Ex ? Ups has steadily declared rising divedends every quater .

If you think that UPS profitability isn't being hurt by Ground, you're kidding yourself. Like I said, short-term everything looks OK. It's when you start looking forward a few years that it becomes a real problem. Ground is taking away your future.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I don't think UPS cares about market-share erosion. They know they have a competitiveness problem. Their focus now
is "profitability". We're force-fed accident and injury prevention...........not a mention in months about growing the business. Heck, I don't even know what my Business Development Rep looks like. So keep taking our market share........the robots we work for don't care.

So you are waiting for me to say something about sales leads and offer you some trinkets from the UPS catalog ?

Its like delivering the AIR on time everyday..do I have to remind you?

Secure your own future don't wait on me/us.

Let me know how I can help.

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
not at all. It was posted earlier that UPS and the Teamsters have been down this road before. How much of THEIR money would YOU like them to spend on YOUR goals?

Exactly. The Teamsters have spent entirely too much money on lobbying and other efforts regarding FE Ground and FE Express. Until those affected employees stand up and say that they will help with organizing and other efforts, I would let things sit for a while.

bbsam

Staff member
In all fairness, in 18 years at RPS and Ground, I have never seen anything resembling amembership push by the Teamsters.

barnyard

KTM rider
Just about every issue of the Teamster member magazine has at least 1 article about some kind of FE ground activity. Most of the activity is in areas that are more supportive of unions than Iowa.

Overpaid Union Thug

Let me explain how this works. First, with zero benefits, the health care costs of a Ground driver fall to the taxpayer, who will pay the Emergency Room bill when the Ground employee or his family get sick. Second, Ground pay is low enough where drivers actually qualify for public assistance. Guess who pays for that? You do. Fred S has successfully passed these costs onto the taxpayer, just like WalMart does.

Very good point! And an eye opener.

bbsam

Staff member
All good points that mean nothing. The government WANTS the law governing contract work to remain vague. What does that tell you? It tells me that they are finding huge cost benefits to it as well. Congress and the courts might just as well tell UPS that if they want to change their own business model, well that is UPS's business.
Government-subsidized workers employed by a private corporation. I'm no Libertarian, but that's just wrong, and gives Mr. Smith an incredibly unfair competitive advantage.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All good points that mean nothing. The government WANTS the law governing contract work to remain vague. What does that tell you? It tells me that they are finding huge cost benefits to it as well. Congress and the courts might just as well tell UPS that if they want to change their own business model, well that is UPS's business.

Meaningless? Hardly. Please cite sources indicating "The government WANTS the laws governing contract work to remain vague". You won't find any. In fact, a number of companies have been busted for violating the "degree of control" aspect of the law that I have mentioned many times. Owner/Operator trucking companies make-up the vast majority of those cases. The difference is that FedEx is a big player that has lots of politicians wholly owned by Fred S, not some Mom&Pop operation that cannot afford to fight.

Next, where are the huge cost benefits to the government? Is forcing workers without any benefits to utilize Emergency Rooms for health care and Public Assistance for food/heat etc a benefit? Not in my book.

UPS changing it's business model is unlikely since they have been unionized since the 1930's. Yiour rationale is BS. In fact, your whole post is BS. Unusual for you, since you usually have good arguments. Not this time.

Quit trying to protect the scam and debate from a position of facts, not hyperbole. Ground is a government-subsidized scam that benefits Fred S and his ilk, not the general public. It's a gift from the US Congress to Mr. Smith for all that green he spreads around.

bbsam

Staff member
Research the law. There have been several attempts made to clarify the distinction between employees and contractors. All have failed miserably and in the wake of the failures there is little appetite to take up the fight.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't care how the law reads an independent contractor should have control of all aspects of their day and job in general. Please tell me what choices a FedEx ground contractor has?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't care how the law reads an independent contractor should have control of all aspects of their day and job in general. Please tell me what choices a FedEx ground contractor has?

You've hit on the key issue...degree of control. bbsam doesn't want to talk about it because Fred has the control.

overflowed

No $. UPS dropped their NASCAR sponsership. FedEx continues to sponsership the number 11 Denny Hamlin car.
Fedex continues to sponser an entire PGA golf playoff. FedEx sponsers FedEx Field. On and on...........
UPS mantra is cut, cut, cut........

When it comes to Express it's the same mantra. "Well, Were trying to run a business here." Your managers our managers its the same sorry line.

bbsam

Staff member
Believe I'd had two at that point. Simply stating that your average person doesn't care how the law reads. I'm telling u how MOST people feel the law should be applied.

and I really don't dispute all that you are saying. But the law is written vaguely and has been kept vague for years. What courts decide in one state may or may not hold true in another. Why would they leave the law so vague? And as a Ground contractor, I would say that I actually have quite a bit of control. You have probably heard horror stories about how management runs everything with an iron fist. Nonsense. Some buildings have bad management that attempts such things. They tend to be replaced. Usually it takes a contractor understanding the document they have signed forcing the issiem

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The government has no interest in siding with the worker, therefore bbsam is correct. The system was designed to keep big business afloat and profitable at the expense of everyday people, all the while occasionally throwing working people a bone to keep them passive.

Head fully buried in sand when people believe that elected officials in govt work for the greater good and the common man. The same legislators and crooks lining their pockets at the expense of everyone else.