The noon to one rule...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With volume decreasing should we really be so inflexible? While I am sure FedEx would prefer the desirable packages, I know that they would be happy to take our undesirable ones.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It's my contention that when circumstances like these negatively affect the bottom line, these packages become undesirable
bubble

while i understand your thought process, that determination needs to be made by someone well above your paygrade. its not your call as to what customers you want or dont want. or which are convenient to you, or those that cause discomfort.

until management makes the call, all your packages are deserving of the same care and consideration when it comes to delivery.

what you are describing are symptoms of a route that needs to be relooped. running off customers to please the person doing the relooping is not the answer.

d

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
bubble

while i understand your thought process, that determination needs to be made by someone well above your paygrade. its not your call as to what customers you want or dont want. or which are convenient to you, or those that cause discomfort.

until management makes the call, all your packages are deserving of the same care and consideration when it comes to delivery.

what you are describing are symptoms of a route that needs to be relooped. running off customers to please the person doing the relooping is not the answer.

d
Danny you are absolutely correct. Hopefully you didn't take from my post that I take these matters into my own hands. I long ago accepted my role as a subordinant. Actually of late, I take great comfort in it.

old levi's

blank space
That could be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted, here or anywhere!!!

The Teamsters and UPS are a symbiotic relationship, they need each other to succeed in order for their own success. Do you really think the Union wants UPS to lose money and cut jobs or worse go out of business. Then where would we be!!

You really need to think a Little bit before you regurgitate on the screen!!

Now you've made green grocer mad!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Hopefully you didn't take from my post that I take these matters into my own hands.
bubble, to the contrary, i "know you" well enough from your posts to know that you bend over backwards for your customers.

but when there are issues like yours, management needs to address them to be able to keep the customer happy, and to have routes that are profitable to run. being on a profitable run is not our goal, it is to do the job as best as can be done, and take care of our provider of payroll, the customer.

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
With volume decreasing should we really be so inflexible? While I am sure FedEx would prefer the desirable packages, I know that they would be happy to take our undesirable ones.
Amen to that, brotha!

bubble

d
Funny that you say this. My dispatch does just what Bubs is talking about. I get this stuff and the other guy gets that stuff and we end up leapfrogging one another all morning.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I get this stuff and the other guy gets that stuff and we end up leapfrogging one another all morning.
Shhh

stug, we dont want those pinheads hiding behind the computer to find out they are screwing things up. they will get the message from above to screw it up even more.

but of course, we for sure dont want the people with the common sense to set up routes, you know, the centers management team?
they might screw up something that might cost ups 30 cents a day.

d

pretzel_man

I do not believe the poster it talking about when to make commercial deliveries. There are certain parts of the country where the DIAD will lock up and not allow any deliveries during the lunch period.

I'm guessing that this is the question. This was in response to legislation and lawsuits. Many drivers got mad that UPS locked up the board and blamed the company for this.

P-Man

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
p man

so what you are saying is that drivers sued the company for back pay for lunches they never took. so as part of the settlement, ups was told, and agreed, to lock down the diadboard from 12-1?

same thing happens sometimes when an hourly files on something, and the company, to exactly comply with what is agreed on, and to limit itself to future issues, takes a hard stand that then really becomes the dead goose around the neck of those very same hourly.

i have heard and seen several times people winning a grievance, and with the aftermath, with the company abiding by the decision, wished they never opened their mouth.

wonder if that is what is going on here?

I always took mine between 1:30-2:30, along with 3 other drivers.

d

pretzel_man

p man

so what you are saying is that drivers sued the company for back pay for lunches they never took. so as part of the settlement, ups was told, and agreed, to lock down the diadboard from 12-1?

same thing happens sometimes when an hourly files on something, and the company, to exactly comply with what is agreed on, and to limit itself to future issues, takes a hard stand that then really becomes the dead goose around the neck of those very same hourly.

i have heard and seen several times people winning a grievance, and with the aftermath, with the company abiding by the decision, wished they never opened their mouth.

wonder if that is what is going on here?

I always took mine between 1:30-2:30, along with 3 other drivers.

d

Danny,

No, that's not what happened. Here is the whole story, and anyone from California can verify what I'm saying.

This started with a California law. The law stated that employers had to allow their employees to have a 1 hour UNINTERRUPTED meal period. Lawyers started soliciting employees to sue their employers saying that they were kept from having their rest period uninterrupted.

In one suit, the judge ruled that not only must the employer allow for a the meal period, they were responsible to ensure that it was taken. In other words, if an employee chose to work during lunch, the employer was still fined.

At that time, UPS put in software in the DIAD that if enabled would lock out any work being done.

The case had nothing to do with suing for back pay.... Nothing to do with UPS trying to get back at anyone. It was a reaction to a California ruling.

Do a search for California Rest Period.

BTW, I think that since then the rulings have been a little relaxed.

P-Man

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
p man

Nothing to do with UPS trying to get back at anyone. It was a reaction to a California ruling.
let me make myself a bit more clear. i was not saying in either case ups was trying to get back/even/etc with those that brought the suit or grievance, what i was commenting on was in the effort to protect themselves from further litigation in both cases, they had to take steps. those steps are not aimed at anyone or anything, only protection against further losses and problems.

and in protecting themselves, ups was forced/encouraged to do things that drivers really dont want. does that make sense? kinda like the explosion caused the fall out?

i had previously heard that they had sued for back pay, i guess the source was wrong.

have a good weekend.

d

pretzel_man

p man

let me make myself a bit more clear. i was not saying in either case ups was trying to get back/even/etc with those that brought the suit or grievance, what i was commenting on was in the effort to protect themselves from further litigation in both cases, they had to take steps. those steps are not aimed at anyone or anything, only protection against further losses and problems.

and in protecting themselves, ups was forced/encouraged to do things that drivers really dont want. does that make sense? kinda like the explosion caused the fall out?

i had previously heard that they had sued for back pay, i guess the source was wrong.

have a good weekend.

d

Danny,

If you look up California Rest Period, you can see the penalty. I don't recall it, but its severe. I guess you could call it back pay, but its really due to not getting a full hour. At the most absurd level, if a customer gave a driver an internet shipped package while the driver was on break, UPS could be liable.

P-Man

I got some pay on a lunch lawsuit in 2005. I have never missed a lunch or worked during lunch. I think the attorneys used some formula to figure out the amount each driver got.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
When I started, which was prior to the lawsuit award, the 12-1 rule was already in place at least in the Northwest. I asked why we do it that way and at the time I was told it was so that business would not miss their delivery/cod/call tag during lunch.
Funny thing is this; while we are supposedly going "green" we continue to use this rule as hard and fast without compromise or common sense. Let's say you have a call tag or cod for a business and for whatever reason you are not able to collect the $/pkg during your delivery stop at say 12:30. Now let's also say that if you were there at 11:30 AM or 2:00 PM, it would still be the same disposition. You are still not allowed the flexibility to save the time and $ for all involved and must return later to resheet the NR/NM.
This is where I personally see a complete breakdown of common sense. Why not have some option of noting that it has nothing to do with the time of day, but rather the day itself, and that a return later is unnecessary. Why not? Anyone?

rocket man

IF THERE IS RULE LIKE THAT ITS NEWS TO US. The RULE IS YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PUT A BUSSINESS CLOSED BETWEEN 12 AND 1 I Get more stops off between12 AND 1 IM NOT STANDING IN LINE FOR LUNCH AT THAT TIME.

Last edited:

All Day

How do you sheet a package for a business that is closed that day (like a salon that is always closed on monday) when you get there between 12-1?? By rule you should sheet it while you are at the stop, so do you return after 1:00 just to sheet it closed??

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
How do you sheet a package for a business that is closed that day (like a salon that is always closed on monday) when you get there between 12-1?? By rule you should sheet it while you are at the stop, so do you return after 1:00 just to sheet it closed??
You don't sheet it at all. If a business is closed Monday it wouldn't be on the truck. That was a trick question, right?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

That's exactly what I would do.
Otherwise you are falsifying records.
It's stupid, but it's not my rule.