The Runner Gunner Lunch Skippers are HATING the new DOT lunch rule

BrownArmy

To an extent I see that especially with the guys in your own loop , but when they are 40 miles away I dont care what they do

It's not just the drivers in your loop, it's the cover/casual/swing drivers that can be in any loop, and it's the PT employee trying to go FT.

There are 100 drivers in my center, if half skip their lunch most of the time, that equals several real routes that don't need to be put on the road.

jaker

trolling
It's not just the drivers in your loop, it's the cover/casual/swing drivers that can be in any loop, and it's the PT employee trying to go FT.

There are 100 drivers in my center, if half skip their lunch most of the time, that equals several real routes that don't need to be put on the road.
True , but we will never know unless some paperwork falls from management hands

I take a lot of days off and the covers kill my route , they ask me why I am coming in late I tell them I can do so many stops comfortably after that I am not going to keep pushing myself

130 eight hour day ,140 ten hour day

oldngray

nowhere special
True , but we will never know unless some paperwork falls from management hands

I take a lot of days off and the covers kill my route , they ask me why I am coming in late I tell them I can do so many stops comfortably after that I am not going to keep pushing myself

130 eight hour day ,140 ten hour day

When I was on vacation I always told whoever ran my route do the job correctly, take care of customers, and take your lunch and breaks. Cover drivers don't realize or care that when they skip lunches, cut extra corners and do things like make pickups too early they screw over the regular driver who comes back from vacation and sees his stop count jacked up, driver follow ups a couple of week later, complaints from customers that you get messages about even though you weren't here, and a whole week's worth of garbage scattered throughout the truck. Cover drivers can get away with screwing over customers they seldom see but the regular driver has to provide service to those customers on a daily basis.

Indecisi0n

When I was on vacation I always told whoever ran my route do the job correctly, take care of customers, and take your lunch and breaks. Cover drivers don't realize or care that when they skip lunches, cut extra corners and do things like make pickups too early they screw over the regular driver who comes back from vacation and sees his stop count jacked up, driver follow ups a couple of week later, complaints from customers that you get messages about even though you weren't here, and a whole week's worth of garbage scattered throughout the truck. Cover drivers can get away with screwing over customers they seldom see but the regular driver has to provide service to those customers on a daily basis.

I am a split driver and will agree with but on the flip side there are runners who screw split drivers.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hey...you know what? With Telematics and the diad you can lock out both. Neither will work during lunch time. Would that make you all happy?

Yep, Doing this makes the numbers tank. Not for me and others that take full break, but the "rabbits". Now, everyone is pretty much the same making it harder to target OJS.

oldngray

nowhere special
It is funny that the whole center's numbers will tank now that the rabbits are forced to take their breaks and management will have to answer to their bosses about the numbers being worse. And of course since it rolls downhill the rabbits will get harassed over their numbers looking worse. They will get nothing from UPS for their previous hard work. It is the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Spoken like a true me first runner.

When I was a cover driver there were a couple of older drivers who used to give me the same speech. At that point I was trying to get a FT job so that I could take care of my family. These guys were "milkers". I can recall that I would try to run their areas they way they wanted them run but more often than not I would find myself sitting there twiddling my thumbs. I finally decided to run their areas the way that I wanted to. The customers were still taken care of, pickups were made on time with few if any DFU's and yet I was in at least an hour or two before they would be.

All I ask of my cover drivers is that they do the best that they can. I don't care how they run the route just as long as they get it done and don't piss anyone off while doing it.

Indecisi0n

Good thing about being consistent is my number have always sucked and I could careless but now the runners look bad and management is all over them. They complain to me and all I do is laugh and walk away. I have explained to them this was coming and all their hardwork would jus be tossed out. Ahhh feels really good being right sometimes.

oldngray

nowhere special
My numbers were always OK, near scratch plus or minus a couple of tenths. If anyone else ran my route and did job correctly they would always look worse on paper than me. And my route had some issues about pickup times which were not my fault but dictated by management so I had to go back to areas 2 or 3 times to make a pickup. Making it an hour early because you don't want to go back is not doing job correctly. As well as send agains from places that should have been delivered or all the bad DR's I had to hear about.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A guy that used to run 3 hours under will now be 2 1/2 hours under assuming he didn't take any of his lunch previously. Hardly a reason for mgmnt concern.

OPTION3

I loved the instance when management came in and said" follow ups are out of control...we are going to track habitual drivers and there will be DISCIPLINE!" They had a list of "habituals" on the board.....The top 20 EVERYDAY were RUNNERS..........SWEPT under the rug QUICKLY.....no more list.....no more threats....obviously no more follow up problems....LMAO!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Have never been allowed to NOT record a full hour lunch in the board whether I take it or not. I've heard thats why this new 30 min break deal is now being enforced, thanks to a California law suit I'm not sure of the details about. Speaking of which - where's our back pay for every minute that is documented in that died board for every hour we never took but were docked for?

1. If you were stupid enough to enter a one-hour lunch in the DIAD that you never actually took, you dont deserve back pay and the only way you could even try to get it would be to admit that you falsified your timecard, which is grounds for automatic termination. Good luck with that one.

2. We are "not allowed" to enter zero lunch in the DIAD here. If for whatever reason I dont wind up actually taking a lunch...I enter zero lunch anyway because to do anything else constitutes dishonesty and working off of the clock. They dont have to like it. They are free to talk to me about it, they are free to bitch me out about it, and they are free to issue me a warning letter for it if thats what they need to do. But I'm NOT going to falsify my timecard and work off of the clock. Period.

over9five

Staff member
Just hit 25 years, so yes I'm still a rookie....
OK, it hasn't changed:

The 11 hour rule means you can't drive more than 11 hours. Drive means your time behind the wheel with the engine running. It does not include the time you are delivering or picking up while the vehicle is parked. It does not include lunch or breaks. It does not include any time on UPS property. 99.99% of package car drivers will never hit 11 hours driving before they hit their 14 hours max.
Hell I've never hit 11 hours driving in Feeders, and I work 14 often enough. You're out of the truck more than me, but I'm on UPS property a lot. To hit 11, you really have to have a lot of windshield time!