The Struggle Between Capital and Labor.

White Line

I always thought it was after Zapmail crashed and burned in 1989. Supposedly Fred's buddies on the board of directors suggested that Smith could recoup his $720 million dollar loss through his employees with stingy raises, extremely long top out times, short staffing of help etc. Fred got a taste for blood and these takeaways have continued to this day.
That's interesting because my guess was that it was the buying spree combined with creating multiple divisions or opcos as you guys put it, leading to neglect of certain opcos, which by the way, I forgot them buying Kinko's , American Freight Ways, Watkins and now I guess you could chalk up Smart Post as well, I only mention this because I noticed this during my time with USF (pre YRC ownership) which had separate divisions, Reddaway and Holland it seemed always was their gems, they always had the newer trucks and trailers and their pay was always higher, then it trickled down from their, Bestway where I was at, had decent trucks and decent to borderline garbage trailers and lower pay(not Fed Ex lower but lower none the less) and Dugan was the worse from what I understand, they also had Red Star division which was all union unlike the other divisions but USF closed them down for whatever reason.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
IMO the climate seemed to begin to change about 20 years ago, coincidentally enough, right around the time of the rebranding from Federal Express to FredSux (which was also shortly after the Flying Tigers acquisition) but it really picked up steam after taking in RPS/AF etc. and it's been going downhill like a runaway train ever since.

At least that's the way it appeared from my perspective. Others may have seen it differently of course.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
IMO the climate seemed to begin to change about 20 years ago, coincidentally enough, right around the time of the rebranding from Federal Express to FredSux (which was also shortly after the Flying Tigers acquisition) but it really picked up steam after taking in RPS/AF etc. and it's been going downhill like a runaway train ever since.
Let's not forget the boneheaded 2.4 billion dollar cash purchase of Kinko's 10 years ago.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
This excerpt taken from an economic manuscript is a tad long winded. But for those with an open mind and willing to learn something. I think we all can learn something from it.

"Having shown that the periodical resistance on the part of the working men against a reduction of wages, and their periodical attempts at getting a rise of wages, are inseparable from the wages system, and dictated by the very fact of labor being assimilated into commodities, and therefore subject to the laws, regulating the general movement of prices; shown that a general rise of wages would result in a fall in the general rate of profit, but not affect the average prices of commodities, or their values, the question now ultimately arises, how far, in this incessant struggle between capital and labor, the latter is likely to prove successful.
As with all other commodities, so with labor, its market price will, in the long run, adapt itself to its value; that, therefore, despite all the ups and downs, and do what he may, the working man will, on an average, only receive the value of his labor, which resolves into the value of his laboring power.
As to the limits of the value of labor, its actual settlement always depends upon supply and demand, I mean the demand for labor on the part of capital, and the supply of labor by the working men. In second and third world countries the law of supply and demand favors the working man. The labor market being continuously emptied by the continuous conversion of wages laborers into independent, self-sustaining citizens or salaried employees. The position of a wages laborer is for a very large part of the American people but in a constant probational state, which they are sure to leave within a longer or shorter period of time. With the large scale of production, and other processes diminishing the demand for labor by increasing its productive power,(machinery,computers) is but one of the many methods for increasing the productive powers of labor. The very same development which makes common labor relatively redundant or depreciates."

Now a guy I know at my station. Is FedEx through and through. One day on a bulk pick up he explained to me his situation. I am para phrasing but in no specific terms he said: "I was no good in High School. And College wasn't in the cards. I bounced around from job to job for a few years. Until 2009, when I got hired at FedEx as a courier. Almost 5 years later I still am within one dollar of what I was hired in at. And I hear guys bitch and moan daily about how bad it is. But I think differently. I met my wife soon after, and we have two kids. We have a house and cars. And even though I am a part timer, I am always near or over 40 hrs a week. Also, the splits and pm shifts allow me to save money on day care. And we use my wife's benefit plan. I haven't really ever been somewhere that offered me this much stability."

Right, wrong, or in different. I appreciated this guy's stance. And thought it was a good silver lining.

Bypassed the first paragraph ... blah, blah.

Regarding "the guy you know" (don't we have a bunch of those as well?)

Anywho ... this guy is P.T. and makes up to 40 hours? Well tell him this lil story.
If he was hired as a part-timer and he is making full time hours, he is a full-timer.
Tell him to go to H.R. and tell them so .. or maybe someone else will.

I don't believe management is dumb enough, to let this happen. But then again, he was dumb enough to tell you he makes 40+ a week, as a part-timer.

He may want to keep that story, to himself.

Serf

Bypassed the first paragraph ... blah, blah
Of course you did. Afraid you might learn something, or not smart enough to comprehend.

Anywho ... this guy is P.T. and makes up to 40 hours? Well tell him this lil story.
If he was hired as a part-timer and he is making full time hours, he is a full-timer.
Tell him to go to H.R. and tell them so .. or maybe someone else will.
He is PT as am I, and a handful of others who are constantly at 38-42 hours a week, without fail. I said the same thing about telling HR and he said he did not want his business getting out and to keep it hush. I have not been here long enough as I am constantly reminded. But these employees insist its better this way. As the struggle for hours only goes to the good boys and girls.

Slick silver

I'm the same way, don't want to say anything because if I do then my hours could get cut down. Even though we r short staffed and the hours are always there.

Sent using BrownCafe App

P

prodriver

The story was to illustrate a point. I was paraphrasing what he told me. To the other extreme. Myself included, I am in group of several drivers with degrees varying from history, to philosophy, to criminal justice. The real world told me I had to get a degree to be skilled or a professional. Perhaps I should have chosen a better major. Or gotten an apprenticeship in a trade like plumbing or electrician and made double.

First of all I applaud you for getting your degree just because you are not working in that particular field doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment. As far as a trade like plumbing or electrician I know several of them guys that can't keep steady work going, at least in the transportation industry the work is steady for the most part. On the "skilled" part run a route for 6 months with 50 hours a week and you might have a different view on it I doubt it but maybe.

Serf

First of all I applaud you for getting your degree just because you are not working in that particular field doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment. As far as a trade like plumbing or electrician I know several of them guys that can't keep steady work going, at least in the transportation industry the work is steady for the most part. On the "skilled" part run a route for 6 months with 50 hours a week and you might have a different view on it I doubt it but maybe.
Hindsight, I should have gotten a degree in IT or web design. I suppose it's hit or miss really. Here in the northeast some old pals of mine are making steady big bucks as electricians, plumbers, even painters in the city. As for running a route. Performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities or skills. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. If a pyramid of unskilled labor positions existed, their is no doubt in my mind that of a courier, tractor trailer driver, garbage man, and janitor would all be positions that required a greater amount of aptitude than being a shuttle driver.

MAKAVELI

Hindsight, I should have gotten a degree in IT or web design. I suppose it's hit or miss really. Here in the northeast some old pals of mine are making steady big bucks as electricians, plumbers, even painters in the city. As for running a route. Performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities or skills. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. If a pyramid of unskilled labor positions existed, their is no doubt in my mind that of a courier, tractor trailer driver, garbage man, and janitor would all be positions that required a greater amount of aptitude than being a shuttle driver.
So , in your opinion these "unskilled" labor positions do not deserve fair compensation for their hard work and dedication? As many has said before, we are the frontline workers. We are the face of the company. Our unskilled, hard work, and dedication built this company into a multi $ billion dollar company. Not the executives. Having spent very little time with FedEx you don't have the perspective of what this job was , what was taken, and what it has become. Before you talk about what this unskilled job deserves in compensation I suggest you upgrade to fulltime and get on a route to understand what it takes to do this job.

P

prodriver

Nobody on here puts you on a pedestal but yourself, people generally treat people the way they are treated. In your pyramid of labor positions we(couriers) are just above janitors. You seem to be disappointed in your lowly(only in YOUR mind) shuttle driver position so you try to put us in as low a category as you see fit. You say your glass is half full but in reality its half empty, got a degree that you can't or don't use, welcome to the real world Jackson. There is no doubt in my mind that you battle everyday with yourself, carpenter work, painting, even electrical work they all have it better than you we all know that's what you really meant so get off your soap box.

Serf

Nobody on here puts you on a pedestal but yourself, people generally treat people the way they are treated. In your pyramid of labor positions we(couriers) are just above janitors. You seem to be disappointed in your lowly(only in YOUR mind) shuttle driver position so you try to put us in as low a category as you see fit. You say your glass is half full but in reality its half empty, got a degree that you can't or don't use, welcome to the real world Jackson. There is no doubt in my mind that you battle everyday with yourself, carpenter work, painting, even electrical work they all have it better than you we all know that's what you really meant so get off your soap box.
I am glad you took the jab prodriver. I do battle with myself. Decisions. Young, single, little expenses. Life by the balls.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
.....and the boneheaded 2.4 billion dollar cash purchase of Kinko's 10 years ago

Yes. And I agree that the downhill plunge also began around the time of the Tigers merger. Everyone knows Fred bought Tigers for their landing rights, locations, and airport slots. Their fleet was crap, and Smith got rid of Tigers employees as quickly as possible. Anyone remember what happened to the unionized Tigers flight attendants?

Smith began milking Express employees so he could finance his buying spree and make FedEx a systems integrator...the exact same thing as UPS, which provided customers a variety of services under one corporate umbrella/ID. There can be little doubt that robbing Express employees was all part of the plan to give Fred more money that could finance his new penchant for trucking companies, international courier services, RPS, and, of course, Kinko's. All non-union, and nearly all of the former employees of Watkins, Viking etc. have grown to hate FedEx as the Express management model was put into place as quickly as possible after the initial series of lies saying that "this will still be a great place to work". LOFL!

Yep...we paid for it.

Cactus

Yes we did pay for it and what have got in return? A long list of takeaways, micromanaging, the RLA, poor raises, crappy insurance, etc.

Which is something that Dano, Upstate and STFXG will never understand.

Sent using BrownCafe App

White Line

Yes. And I agree that the downhill plunge also began around the time of the Tigers merger. Everyone knows Fred bought Tigers for their landing rights, locations, and airport slots. Their fleet was crap, and Smith got rid of Tigers employees as quickly as possible. Anyone remember what happened to the unionized Tigers flight attendants?

Smith began milking Express employees so he could finance his buying spree and make FedEx a systems integrator...the exact same thing as UPS, which provided customers a variety of services under one corporate umbrella/ID. There can be little doubt that robbing Express employees was all part of the plan to give Fred more money that could finance his new penchant for trucking companies, international courier services, RPS, and, of course, Kinko's. All non-union, and nearly all of the former employees of Watkins, Viking etc. have grown to hate FedEx as the Express management model was put into place as quickly as possible after the initial series of lies saying that "this will still be a great place to work". LOFL!

Yep...we paid for it.
Yeah especially the 1700 former employees that lost their jobs after the FedEx National LTL fiasco, what a mess that was, FedEx bought Watkins for $780 million, it becomes National LTL, Chip and Clay Watkins stayed on to run National LTL for FedEx but both left within a year of the take over for what was said personal reasons ( they were non FedEx conformist perhaps?), they both head back to Atlanta to take up positions in the families other trucking empire there that is now $780 million richer from the sell of their LTL division, Watkins had used contractors for a lot of the P&D and some of the line haul,(Ground contractors take note of this) they were eliminated by National LTL soon after the take over, and company equipment and company drivers were implemented shortly after that, but apparently National LTL just wasn't working out, it was decided that it should be merged into FedEx Freight East and West, leading to 100 facilities closed and 1700 employees let go.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So , in your opinion these "unskilled" labor positions do not deserve fair compensation for their hard work and dedication? As many has said before, we are the frontline workers. We are the face of the company. Our unskilled, hard work, and dedication built this company into a multi $ billion dollar company. Not the executives. Having spent very little time with FedEx you don't have the perspective of what this job was , what was taken, and what it has become. Before you talk about what this unskilled job deserves in compensation I suggest you upgrade to fulltime and get on a route to understand what it takes to do this job.

"Unskilled labor" positions often require quite a bit of skill. Railroad engineers, operating engineers, plumbers, carpenters, and all of the rest possess mastery few others can ever hope to achieve. There are plenty of really smart people who never went to college, yet do quite well financially. A railroader I know who has a GED (after dropping-out) makes $140k per year, skillfully handling mile-long freight trains over challenging territory. I just paid a plumber $1200 for a 4-hour job I could have never performed myself, and he told me he makes $120k per year...I believe him.

The courier job isn't "unskilled". In fact, I takes a rather impressive skill set to be really good at the job. Time management, professional driving skills, professional demeanor around customers, and much more. FedEx sells it as unskilled because then they can justify paying less. Look at the new DRA-era courier, and then compare them to the few professionals that are left. The difference is easy to see.

Cactus

The courier job isn't "unskilled". In fact, I takes a rather impressive skill set to be really good at the job. Time management, professional driving skills, professional demeanor around customers, and much more. FedEx sells it as unskilled because then they can justify paying less. Look at the new DRA-era courier, and then compare them to the few professionals that are left. The difference is easy to see.
Very true on all accounts. The term unskilled is just another chapter of FedEx misclassifying people.