The Survival Plan

Sammie

I was reading the UK GUY's thread about being off work and I know most of you have been on disability or w. comp at some point. When you're home at a time like this and not bringing in
the money you normally do, it can be difficult.

Wanted to share this information -

To take the edge off of this, the feeder guys my husband works with have created their own "Aflac" plan, totally
separate from UPS. They call it the Survival Plan. There are easily 150 feeder guys here and about 60 of them have joined this plan.

What happens is, whenever anyone in this "plan" goes out on disability or comp, the other members kick in $5 a week and this $ goes to the guy who's hurt. When he comes back, no one donates to the plan again until someone else goes out. Nothing wrong with $300 a week to help out. If two guys are out hurt at the same time, each member put $10 a week into the fund. Three people out, $15.00 a week. It caps out at donating $20 a week. If for some reason half a dozen guys are out all at once, the $20 per member donation is distributed evenly between how ever many are out sick or hurt.

Some of the special wording in this "contract": those employees who are out due to a suspension or an accident investigation are not included, and those who are out repeatedly for excessive amounts of time will be dropped from the plan. (This DOES happen...) The plan doesn't cover elective surgeries (plastic surgery, a nose job...).

It's been a real lifesaver for many folks here and a whole lot more who didn't bother joining up sure wish they had. We took care of the "books" for this, collected the $ and got it to the employees in need for 6 months and then we turn it over to another UPS'er for another 6 months.

Just an idea for y'all, something to make a tough time a bit easier...
:bored:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I was reading the UK GUY's thread about being off work and I know most of you have been on disability or w. comp at some point. When you're home at a time like this and not bringing in
the money you normally do, it can be difficult.

Wanted to share this information -

To take the edge off of this, the feeder guys my husband works with have created their own "Aflac" plan, totally
separate from UPS. They call it the Survival Plan. There are easily 150 feeder guys here and about 60 of them have joined this plan.

What happens is, whenever anyone in this "plan" goes out on disability or comp, the other members kick in $5 a week and this $ goes to the guy who's hurt. When he comes back, no one donates to the plan again until someone else goes out. Nothing wrong with $300 a week to help out. If two guys are out hurt at the same time, each member put $10 a week into the fund. Three people out, $15.00 a week. It caps out at donating $20 a week. If for some reason half a dozen guys are out all at once, the $20 per member donation is distributed evenly between how ever many are out sick or hurt.

Some of the special wording in this "contract": those employees who are out due to a suspension or an accident investigation are not included, and those who are out repeatedly for excessive amounts of time will be dropped from the plan. (This DOES happen...) The plan doesn't cover elective surgeries (plastic surgery, a nose job...).

It's been a real lifesaver for many folks here and a whole lot more who didn't bother joining up sure wish they had. We took care of the "books" for this, collected the $ and got it to the employees in need for 6 months and then we turn it over to another UPS'er for another 6 months.

Just an idea for y'all, something to make a tough time a bit easier...
:bored:
Im puzzled how does a feeder driver get hurt? Does a creek in your neck because you forgot your embroidered pillow count.Lol Just having a little fun with feeder guys.

local804

Aflac was looked into by a number of guys in my area. That type of insurance wound up costing the guys an average of $90.00 a month. It really dont sound like alot of money but here in NY every dollar counts and 90 bucks x 12 months and so on and so on. I do suggest that if anyone can afford it, it is a wise investment on their part. The guy also calculated our mortgage, bills, taxes and so on before he came out with a calculation.

Sammie

Im puzzled how does a feeder driver get hurt? Does a creek in your neck because you forgot your embroidered pillow count.Lol Just having a little fun with feeder guys.

Well, this time you're not far from wrong....

(I would be so killed if he knew I leaked this out...)

One morning while feeder man was getting dressed for work he was making fun of my dad, which I didn't appreciate, who came to visit us one summer. The afternoon before, my dad injured himself while backing his camper into a space in a campground. You know the routine, hold the steering wheel with your left hand, right hand draping the back of passenger seat, and turn your head around to see what's behind you. These simple movements threw my dad's back out and he was really miserable.

So as wise a** was making fun of my father, he reached down to his sock drawer to get out a pair of socks and threw
his back out. Swear to God. Didn't go to work for two days.
I don't usually bring up the past, but this one will never die.

Socks and Karma...

No, it's not always the embroidered pillows.... :laugh:

Dutch Dawg

150 people is a pretty diverse group of varying opinions. Coming from a smaller work group we found many difficulties with everyone's idea of how this should work and eventually abandoned the thought. We reverted back to what was in place before, a voluntary system of giving a suggested amount or what an idividual believed fair or nothing at all. I'm surprised your group has not experienced growing pains with this concept. You do know if you have a written plan with obligitory participation or your out concept, your state's Insurance Commisioner could have a problem with you and all it would take to bring it to their attention is one disgruntled person amongst 150?

Sammie

150 people is a pretty diverse group of varying opinions. Coming from a smaller work group we found many difficulties with everyone's idea of how this should work and eventually abandoned the thought. We reverted back to what was in place before, a voluntary system of giving a suggested amount or what an idividual believed fair or nothing at all. I'm surprised your group has not experienced growing pains with this concept. You do know if you have a written plan with obligitory participation or your out concept, your state's Insurance Commisioner could have a problem with you and all it would take to bring it to their attention is one disgruntled person amongst 150?

All kinds of growing pains, actually. And I wondered if there was some kind of legal ramification with this. But I will bring up your information; so far the folks are just happy to have something to fall back on. Nothing's getting any cheaper these days... :sad:

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
All kinds of growing pains, actually. And I wondered if there was some kind of legal ramification with this. But I will bring up your information; so far the folks are just happy to have something to fall back on. Nothing's getting any cheaper these days... :sad:
As I read your post, I was thinking that this might violate insurance laws...but I suspect it does not fit the definition of "insurance", because nobody is paying anything up front.

raceanoncr

Not funny at all!!! I busted a finger nail one time reaching for the A/C knob, so there!

raceanoncr

As I read your post, I was thinking that this might violate insurance laws...but I suspect it does not fit the definition of "insurance", because nobody is paying anything up front.

This ain't insurance. We have almost identical plan here. In place for many yrs and it has worked, albeit with the same growing pains many of you have experienced.

We even consulted counsel about some of these same issues that you are bringing up here and found it was safe.

It has worked for those that have been legally off for comp or non-comp illness or injury. Oh, sure, we have some that don't want to pay for somebody because they don't like em or think they're fleecing the plan. To that I say, drop out! But, in almost all cases of ones dropping out, for whatever reason, they, themselves had an almost immediate need for the plan. Too bad.

One had emergency appendectomy. 5 kids, no additional insurance, long time off. He said it was the worst decision he made in his life.

One dropped out and the next wk fell out of a tree. Off long time.

One dropped out because of not getting along w/another that we were collecting for. He's been out for two yrs now because of eye probs, with huge mortgage, divorce, etc, etc..

ONe dropped out for same reason. Broke his hand on weed eater. Out for seven wks.

On and on...

It's a good plan.

helenofcalifornia

One of the reasons that I think this works is because feeders are a different breed of people at UPS. I would be interested to find out if there is a group of drivers (package, that is) with this plan working. Feeders seems to be more together in their thinking, where package drivers are more into day-to-day survival at UPS. (I can't even imagine what it would be like to sit down for eight hours and get paid! I know, I know, it is a dangerous job with all the driving and changing trailers and all. Don't be haters now!) Who is the person that has to go around collecting the $5 from the participating drivers think? This plan is genius and a great end run around traditional plans!

raceanoncr

Who is the person that has to go around collecting the $5 from the participating drivers think? This plan is genius and a great end run around traditional plans![/quote]

I, and one of my friends, was one of the originators of this plan in our center. A little more on why it was institued:

We had people off for various reasons. Sometimes there was a voluntary collection taken, sometimes not. The pot and card or letter was upstairs in feeder office for everyone to view. Feelings got hurt. No one was in charge. When one was not collected for and came back and found out someone ELSE was collected for...well, you can imagine.

What we do here, and in other places I have been to, is tape an envelope with your name, the name of the person we are collecting for, the weeks that person is off (how many weeks we are collecting for), the amount to remit and the reason for being off, although it's really none of anybody's business, to your locker. You are supposed to put a check or cash in that envelope and drop it into a designated, locked, locker and, after a collection period, the $ is given to the person.

Works well. We researched almost every glitch we could possibly have and have only revised our format maybe once in about 10 yrs or more.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Here in Chicago (local 705) we pass the hat at the general membership meetings. This morning we raised over $800 for "Blackhawk". I would say we average at least $700 per collection. Unfortunately we miss out on helping our brothers and sisters who are in need during the summer hiatus.

raceanoncr

Here in Chicago (local 705) we pass the hat at the general membership meetings. This morning we raised over $800 for "Blackhawk". I would say we average at least $700 per collection. Unfortunately we miss out on helping our brothers and sisters who are in need during the summer hiatus.

That's all good, Hondo, but is it consistent? If so, then all the more power! And is that each month? That figure might be a little higher if you were collecting in a more organized manner, like $5 a wk for someone that's off.

How many people in 705 UPS do you have? Well, just say 80 signed up. 80 X 5 = $400 a week! Four weeks X $400 = $1600. Just a thought.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Raceanoncr, it has been consistent, per person, be they UPS(about 40% of us) or not, friend/t or p/t (as I am), or even family of 705 members. But it has been a one time collection per person that I've seen in my 2+ years, for people in such dire straits well above and beyond what any H&W or disability plan would cover. Truth be told I'm not sure what our friend/t benefits package is, as I'm p/t and fall under co.'s plan. I did notice the steward that helped me out with a problem was out on disability for a blown out knee over peak/January (p/c driver) but didn't let on in any way that his family were hurting financially. Y'all's schemes probably wouldn't work for me in the hub, but sound like excellent models for package car centers or feeder depts (or freight barns); in tandem with their bennies. I can definitely see Helen's point of p/c drivers being too worn out (or jealous of bid routes) to get together on this. Maybe I should try to think of a tactful way to suggest this in the building.
Just out of curiousity, what do you do for someone who becomes permanently disabled?

raceanoncr

Raceanoncr, it has been consistent, per person, be they UPS(about 40% of us) or not, friend/t or p/t (as I am), or even family of 705 members. But it has been a one time collection per person that I've seen in my 2+ years, for people in such dire straits well above and beyond what any H&W or disability plan would cover. Truth be told I'm not sure what our friend/t benefits package is, as I'm p/t and fall under co.'s plan. I did notice the steward that helped me out with a problem was out on disability for a blown out knee over peak/January (p/c driver) but didn't let on in any way that his family were hurting financially. Y'all's schemes probably wouldn't work for me in the hub, but sound like excellent models for package car centers or feeder depts (or freight barns); in tandem with their bennies. I can definitely see Helen's point of p/c drivers being too worn out (or jealous of bid routes) to get together on this. Maybe I should try to think of a tactful way to suggest this in the building.
Just out of curiousity, what do you do for someone who becomes permanently disabled?

Permanently diabled? We ain't never had that yet. May have one soon but he dropped so's it's a moot point. If I remember right, our by-laws state that you have to be a member in good standing or an employee in good standing. Are you still an employee in good standing if permanently disabled? Don't know, we ain't never had it yet...sad to say, all have died that were heading that way.

Same goes for retired. Plan is discontinued for you. Good question.

rod

Retired 22 years
I am totally AMAZED that you were able to collect money from a UPS person. Once I tried to collect 3 dollars from each guy to buy a radio to listen to while we were doing the morning sort ( we had a Driver sort at that time). Out of 22 drivers only 7 contributed. We had a half a dozen guys that refused to have 6 bucks taken out of their checks each week for the Thrift Plan. About the only group tighter than UPS people are school teachers. Ask any bartender or waitress, I'm sure they will agree. When I retired I spent close to $500.00 to throw a big party (rented a big tent, roasted a 265lb. pig and bought three 16 gal kegs. It was one hell of a party but since I retired no one else (5 more have retired) has even suggested a get together at the local saloon. Talk about cheep!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Consistency seems to be the problem. I used to do it. And although I have been donned the nosiest person in the world, seems I missed a few. In between a guy retired who used to do it, and I got named to take the place, a few drivers (newer) were off on comp when I thought they were laid off. And I collected for a guy who got hurt at home, and got a bunch of crap about not being consistent. So my feeling is, if its a person you are the closest to you would initiate the collection. I will help. AS nosy as I am I cannot know every need of every person in my center. But after that segment, I will only go to the drivers, ptimers etc, who care and not go to the ones who want to make waves. No one person can know the problems of everyone and mgmt certainly isnt going to announce it so, this collection thing kind of hit a dead end with me. as far as correlation, there are people I do not see for weeks because of vacations staggered starts etc.

over9five

Staff member
"how does a feeder driver get hurt?"

I was gonna suggest frostbite from the AC, or hemmorhoids from settin' so long....

Kidding! (don't flame me, dudes)

raceanoncr

I am totally AMAZED that you were able to collect money from a UPS person. Once I tried to collect 3 dollars from each guy to buy a radio to listen to while we were doing the morning sort ( we had a Driver sort at that time). Out of 22 drivers only 7 contributed. We had a half a dozen guys that refused to have 6 bucks taken out of their checks each week for the Thrift Plan. About the only group tighter than UPS people are school teachers. Ask any bartender or waitress, I'm sure they will agree. When I retired I spent close to $500.00 to throw a big party (rented a big tent, roasted a 265lb. pig and bought three 16 gal kegs. It was one hell of a party but since I retired no one else (5 more have retired) has even suggested a get together at the local saloon. Talk about cheep!!!

Yeah, Rod, I hear ya about the "cheep". I remember being in the Thrift and hear all the griping and some who would not do it. Man, I always made $ in that!

And, yeah, we get gripes about $5 a wk when someone is off and we have to collect for. WE CAN'T AFFORD $5 A WK? Geez! With what we make, 60-70-80-100K a yr, we can't afford $5 to help somebody? I just think about what I WASTE on various things each wk and it amazes me. I can afford it.

On a different note (and I'll get hits on this one, I'm sure), what about the Teamster-UPS 401 Plan? You know that there are only a fraction of UPSers that are in? And those that ARE in are only contributing single digit amounts? Maybe you're in your own 401 or Roth plan, which is fine but looking back thru my records, I've always made $ since I've been in. Just a thot.

Back to thread.