The Thing About OT...

Nah
Their assumed contribution amounts are as much or more than most people are making in this area.
Those kinds of websites want you to eat nothing but ramen noodles every night and use a newspaper for a blanket (provided you didn't buy the newspaper yourself--don't do that!!).

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Those kinds of websites want you to eat nothing but ramen noodles every night and use a newspaper for a blanket (provided you didn't buy the newspaper yourself--don't do that!!).
Reminds me of that one dumb ass who wrote that book a few years back who legitimately thought millennials couldn't afford houses because they bought avocado toast.

Nah
Reminds me of that one dumb ass who wrote that book a few years back who legitimately thought millennials couldn't afford houses because they bought avocado toast.
Housing prices are skyrocketing anywhere worth living... Even in some areas not worth living. Wages don't rise nearly as fast.

I hate financial gurus. They don't think in terms of the real world.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Is there an award for dumbest post in history on Brown Café?
That would be a lot of awards.

oie_overlay.gif

ThePackageDeli

They also assumed a 23 year could add $20k for the year. I couldn't have done that in my wildest :censored2:ing dreams.
The average person is broke, in-debt, living paycheck to paycheck, raising kids or paying child support or alimony, over weight, unhealthy.. Don't be average. Average sucks. Be different.

Up In Smoke

I'm not sure we're seeing it the same way. If I have to contribute 21% of my income in order to reach the $20,500 limit (which is actually the case in my situation), and the company matches 6%, that means I actually only need to contribute 15% of my own income which is around $15k per year... that's $450k...? Am I doing it wrong?
The vast majority of company matches are a percentage of your contribution and not of your total gross income. A 6% match would be in the $1500 range and not $6000 that you are claiming. My wife and I own a couple small businesses and we match 50% of the employee's contribution up to 3% of their gross income. I believe this is a very common practice among employers.

Thebrownblob

The average person is broke, in-debt, living paycheck to paycheck, raising kids or paying child support or alimony, over weight, unhealthy.. Don't be average. Average sucks. Be different.
But yet you want to let UPS hire temporary employees instead of permanent employees with good wages, healthcare, and retirement opportunities? So they don’t have an opportunity to get ahead? While taking the work of the people trying to get ahead and not be average?

Up In Smoke

The rate of return from the S&P 500 since the crash of '29 is 5.77%. When you add in dividend reinvestment, the rate jumps to 9.72% before inflation. When you factor both dividend and inflation the S&P average return over the last 90 yrs is 6.46%.

ThePackageDeli

That would be a lot of award

Scary how low those 401k averages are. I’m personally destroying The average retirement savings, and I still want my pension.
I want the pension too. I just don't care enough about it to forgo using non-union people to lighten our workload.

Cowboy Mac

I want the pension too. I just don't care enough about it to forgo using non-union people to lighten our workload.
You realize with no overtime, your income is going to go way down, right? No more 9.5 checks. The amount you can save for retirement is greatly diminished.

Why not have a system where we can choose how many hours we want to work? Why does EVERYBODY have to give up pensions and OT because you don’t like them? A one size fits all is really a one size fits none.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

It’s not just the pension. Once you let them break the union it’s only a matter of time until the pay and benefits get chipped away at too. If you give them the ability to use cheap labor whenever they want, they will run with it.

Thebrownblob

So instead of the company hiring people and giving them the same opportunity you have you want to allow the company to abuse people so they can never get where you are? Got it. With an attitude like that the company will eventually figure out a way to get rid of our jobs as well. Let’s just make all of our jobs gig work. SMH

ThePackageDeli

So instead of the company hiring people and giving them the same opportunity you have you want to allow the company to abuse people so they can never get where you are? Got it. With an attitude like that the company will eventually figure out a way to get rid of our jobs as well. Let’s just make all of our jobs gig work. SMH
Let the PVDs be teamsters too. All I'm saying is let's get some damn PVDs and some extra help in here so we can have 8-hour days if we want them... What makes most sense to me would be to give part-timers the opportunity to get more hours by running PVD routes.

Last edited: