" The Times They Are A Changing"

yadig

They’re trying that. People aren’t biting. They’ll literally walk away before taking on more crap.
Is that why the company is bringing freight back into the express network? What do you think FedEx will do in the future?

bbsam

Staff member
Is that why the company is bringing freight back into the express network? What do you think FedEx will do in the future?
Not sure and good question. I actually think that Pittsburgh understands completely that they’re heading for disaster. I think the new regime in Memphis is overruling even a whiff of sanity in the company.

bacha29

They’re trying that. People aren’t biting. They’ll literally walk away before taking on more crap.
Spot on. Why take on the routes that drove the previous holder into insolvency? Good also to see how contractors are using that vague and ambiguous contract language to turn the tables on old Fat Freddy.

Tars

Don't fool yourselves people, they'll just make Ground's areas smaller with much tighter density of stops. More Ground couriers are gonna happen, and they'll supplement with stuff like Amazon Flex. I'm still feeling like Amazon will buy Fedex.
Fedex will push for a contractor model which Amazon already has.

bacha29

Don't fool yourselves people, they'll just make Ground's areas smaller with much tighter density of stops. More Ground couriers are gonna happen, and they'll supplement with stuff like Amazon Flex. I'm still feeling like Amazon will buy Fedex.
?????? What do you think Ground uses? Amazon has about as much chance of buying Fedex as Jet Blue has buying Spirit Air.

bacha29

Move freight back and forth as needed.
They do the same thing with a building fire. Don't waste water and manpower on what's already burned to the ground. You move the hoses back to what isn't already burning. Fat Freddy's doing the same thing with his own towering inferno.

Tars

Cheap infrastructure. And getting cheaper as the model falls apart.
It takes years upon years to get all those hubs set-up with their planes and flight routes. It would save Amazon a ton of time, and just makes sense at this point. The economy seems like its imminently heading for a recession, and if you think volume is down now just wait until the recession is fully underway. Amazon is already seeing significant volume drop in certain areas, and will look for ways to stay ahead and mitigate losses. I suspect Fedex is now also in panic mode, and will try to find ways to weather the storm.

Questions Needed Answered

More Ground couriers are gonna happen
Not for daily pay given the premium Express is giving right now. Do the math ... air conditioning (maybe), no couches, beds, or sectionals to haul up stairs by yourself, no covering of neighboring routes for no additional money. Yeah, that Ground model of pay is drawing in all the workers that no one else can seem to draw in; flies to a turd.

zeev

Amazon has the best flight setup of all, there is none , truck that freight to massive warehouses and than let the worker ants run it to your door.